Let's talk TV's

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So last year I bought a 50" LG Smart TV. 13 months later the panel went out and now I've got sound and no picture. I'm two weeks into waiting on Geek Squad to come fix it on the warranty plan I paid extra for, but I'm at the point now where I'm tired of waiting and thinking I'll pick something new up and just sell my LG once it's fixed.

There are some pretty amazing sales on TV's now. I'm wanting something in the 50-60" range. Last time I bought a TV it seemed LG and Samsung were on top of the reviews, and I remember the Samsung having a slightly better picture than the LG I bought.

Right now I've got my eye on the Samsung UN60H6203AFXZA. Just curious if I should be looking at something else before I pull the trigger on this.

2. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, I'm a system Tech for Comcast. I don't work in the houses much anymore, but one thing I have seen a TON of is crap TV's people pay big money for...lol. It's actually very sad. It's just I've seen so many $1500 smart tv's and they put a $15 wireless card in them that won't pick up wifi unless the modem is in the same room or sitting next to it. Anyway, The Samsung TV your looking at is a good TV IMO, which I'm sure don't mean much...lol. From what I have worked with and seem. Vizio, Samsung, Sony are the way to go with TVs. Seems like I didn't see as many problems out of them like I seen on others. Their HDMI ports are built pretty well too.

3. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We just bought a Vizio ultra hd smart tv,50 inch tv. Bought it on sale black Friday for $698. No complaints so far.

4. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 Samsung UN55D8000 and they have been flawless in every way. We rarely use the 3D option but it really is excellent.

I don't even shop around when I am looking for a TV. I just decide which Samsung I want.

5. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i have a 60in sharp smart tv that i fine works prefect and got it on sale from sams for $650 last year

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have a 55" Sony wega tv that we bought like 6 years ago and haven't had 1 single problem yet (knock on wood) beautiful picture we always get compliments on how great the HD looks.

7. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a huge techy guy, but I can appreciate a good picture on a tv while watching a game or movie. We recently got an LG 4K (or ultra HD I guess they call it), and 6 months ago the 4K TVs were ridiculously expensive! Nearly three times what they're costing currently. I asked the best buy associate why the drastic decline in price over such a short time....."8K will be here shortly," Was his reply. I can't verify that statement in any way...but just thought I'd throw it out there if any techys wanted to check its validity.

Back to your original topic, IMO a 4K screen is incredible to watch across the board. I've got 20/10 vision and while watching the screen I feel like my eyesight gets better. Everything is crystal clear and almost has a 3D effect while watching with the naked eye. It's like there's depth to the screen and its images. If I were to buy another tv I don't think I'd consider anything without an ultra hd screen

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Our Sony Bravia 52" is 6 years old this year. Still stunning picture amd working flawless. My search would start with Sony and Samsung.

Any reason you're not considering 4k?

9. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input guys.

So I ended up buying the 55" version of the Samsung I posted about above. My living room just isn't that big and 55" is plenty. I took the saved $$$ and bought a Samsung sound bar and wireless sub setup. I've gotta say I'm impressed with the picture and sound on this TV, it's noticeably better than the LG I had and I love being able to stream music from my phone via bluetooth to the sound bar setup.

The funny part is that the day after I picked up this setup, Best Buy finally got back to me on my broken LG with a confirmation code to replace it with something of equal or lesser value. Because of the sales on TV's right now, I was able to order a 60" Sony smartTV. I'll be selling it in the unopened box to recoup the $$$ I put down on the Samsung.

Anyone in the Chicagoland area want a brand spankin new Sony 60" SmartTV for a smokin deal?

10. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    I'm too cheap. :lol: