Have to vent

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wesley Lofton, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I gotta vent this out. Came home tonight from the store, no sooner then the wife and I get out we here a bunch of kids screaming bloody murder down the street. One of them comes running up to us and says my dad is trying to kill my mom.

So I tell me wife to call cops, I run in and grab a gun and run down the the house, as I run up a woman comes stumbling out holding a baby and the door slams shut. I tell the woman and kids to go to house and I stand out front behind a tree on the street waiting on cops. Cops show and as soon as I do I put the gun down on the ground and hands up just to be safe. They come up to me of course and ask me what is going on so I tell them. They proceed to jump my ***, take my gun and threaten to arrest me....

They tell me just to stay put and they go and try to talk to the guy. He won't let them in, his parents show up and finally talk him down and he opens the door. They look over the woman, she doesn't show any signs of being beat or strangled like she claims. They let her go to the hospital to get checked out and send the kids off with grandparents and decide to leave the guy be. They then come back to me and proceed to jump my *** some more, saying next time I should just stay home and let the cops handle it. So
    I say how would you feel if you were me and she was dead. He said he would feel bad but I should not bring a gun out, he said bring a hammer or a bat or something. I said how is that gonna work if he had a gun.... Cop couldn't really argue with that so he just said ok, gave me my gun and walked me home.

End of rant.....

Opinions...

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If police were called. I leave the gun home. Sounds like a good way to get yourself shot by the police.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't seem like the brightest idea ...but glad it worked out for you.

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Fletch, your lucky you didn't get shoot! It sounds like the cops did every thing right, coming into a unknown situation with a guy hiding behind a tree with a gun, you are lucky man to not get arrested.

5. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    Then what's the point of having cc and all? It took the cops about 8 minutes to show up. I'll say the same thing to yall, how would you feel if you stayed in side and the guy killed the woman and a couple of kids, in your neighborhood with a whole bunch of other kids in it....

6. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Still not a smart move, you ultimately delayed the police getting to where the real problem was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You did nothing wrong and you did what you thought was right in a very fluid situation and no one was killed. I would say it turned out great except for the cops acting like pricks.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The cops have to short stuff out in a fast manner. Easiest way to do that is treat everyone as hostiles, safer too.

9. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see how you did anything wrong? I think most people that are not cowards would have acted the same way that you did. I can however understand the cops being pricks initially, but once they recognized you as not being a threat they should have thanked you for potentially saving a life and evaluating the scene for them.

Kudos to you!

10. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    I understand them being like that when they first pulled up, but as soon as they figured out what was what they still proceed to act like prick and basically say I should stay home and let someone die or bring a knife to a gun fight more or less just blows my mind, especially when there are kids involved..... I just don't get it I guess.

11. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Would you have shot the guy with your gun?

If not then you should NEVER have gone down with a gun, if so then the police had something to worry about, acted accordingly, and the simple fact that you took it, implies you intended to use it... horrific decision.

T

12. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's a win lose situtation.

Just call the cops and let them handle it.

13. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have to give you credit for wanting to help. But looking back with the benefit of hindsight, can you see how maybe grabbing a gun and heading down the street to get involved in a domestic disturbance based on a kid saying "my dad is trying to kill my mom" might have been a really bad idea?

One of the points they stressed in my concealed carry class was that having a permit to carry concealed doesn't make you a cop. And there is a difference between someone with a CPL and a cop. Cops have a certain amount of training and experience which can make them better able to size up a situation and take appropriate action. Also cops who make a mistake while doing their job have a measure of protection from liability since a cop, unlike you and I, is required to act and expose himself to liability.

Looking at how it all ended, it really looks like you did not have nearly enough facts to justify bringing a gun into the situation.

14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wesley I'm a cop and you did the right thing. You acted like a good neighbor, a good man, and a person with some sense to drop the gun when the cops got there. I would be proud to call you a neighbor and my family would be safer. The cops don't control every situation in life and good men need to act when the situation arises. Good job!

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    What is a horrific decision, he took a gun to protect a woman and kids in serious danger? I sure hope he intended to use it if need be.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The victim was out of harms way, he should have walked with the woman back to his place when she came out of the house, no point in staying until the police got there.

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Sota, it was a stressful situation and just because he stayed on scene until the cops got there doesnt mean he did anything wrong.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I beg to differ additional armed people at a crime scene who are not in communication with the police and dispatch adds to the complexity level. The OP had no justification to use his firearm once the door closed behind the woman.

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    A bunch of you guys said he should have never gone over there. Geez. I swear. Have fun.

20. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wesley,
    Kudos to you brother. You did the right thing. While I do understand the point on both sides you have to do whats right. As a first responder you were in a situation to deal with the issue. That responsibility in my opinion occurs only because of proximity. Granted we don't want the wild west again but taking a bat to a unknown situation is a dumb idea. Goes back to the concept of who has the biggest stick. However the sad point is there are many dumb people out there that don't have the clarity of thought you did by grounding the weapon when the cops showed up.

In the end I am just glad you are safe and no one got hurt seriously. Hopefully the dude at least spent a few hours in jail and just did no get sent home with his parents.