Tree hunting

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Beefie, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    I don't no how many of you folks heat with wood, but I try to heat 90% of the time with wood at my house. Just love the feel of coming into a Nice warm wood fired heat. Feels really good after sitting in the tree stand in the cold weather.

So how many of you folks look at trees when you are walking to your stand or when you are bored sitting in your stand. I have 10 trees picked out that will be coming down after hunting season just at one stand sight alone. With 3 more that I need to clean up that are crossing the tractor trail.

So am I the only one that tree hunts or not?

Beefie

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I see trees when I drive around that I would love to drop. Old dead sentinel pines, I live in an oak wilt area so there are dead oaks all over. I used to be a faller when I worked wildfire nothing more fun than dropping a burning hallow tree, flames roaring out.

3. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I burn wood all winter long I like it too but I don't really pay much attention to the trees around me when hunting Lol

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is our first year on our new property which means we have to start a wood pile for fires! We have plenty of clean up wood along the paths for most of our fire wood but will more then likely take down a couple more over the years. We have an area with 10+ trees I would like to clear out eventually.

5. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking when scouting and any time in our woods. Found some I could cut that would be good. Then we had a horrible windstorm this summer, not confirmed but many say tornado and I agree. I was talking food plots with someone not too far from me and he said he had lots down from it. I've been working on clearing to help him and getting to keep it. Should be solid for years worth of firewood and hoping to do a project I've been dreaming of for a long time with building a log cabin/shack. The destruction was horrible but works out great I'm doing the work clearing and will help him and I'm scoring more and better wood than I hoped for a lifetime, and it's not just gonna go to waste and rot there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, pulled a few out last weekend. Had a dead ash that would bang against a maple when the wind blew. He's now firewood. Seem I'm always looking for dead trees to cut.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I always take notice. Have a really nice red oak that the top has died out in right next to my dad's skid road. Will be easy picking. I still have a 1/3rd of a tri-axle load left to cut and split yet, though (courtesy of NG pipeline work).

8. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    Glad I am not the only one who sees firewood in the woods. My wife tends to yell at me when I drive to, between looking for trees and looking for deer.

Beefie

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We typically just wait until the spring storms drop trees. By the time we clean those up we have enough wood to replenish what we used in the winter, plus some extra in case a bigger winter. Right now, we have about 3 years of wood piled up.
    However, if we come across a dead tree on ours or any families' property, we will cut it down and get it out.