Eric Garner Outcome???

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Heckler, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How can people be outraged over the outcome of this? The officer had him in a choke hold for approx. 12 sec. He seemed to be able to talk ok at the time of the hold? I suspect there may have been the same outcome without the hold. Your thoughts?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is it ever possible to win a physical argument with a police officer? My point is don't be stupid if you have nothing to hide do not resist arrest.

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rodney King thought so.

4. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have and epidemic in this society of stupid men of color thinking they can win arguments with overpowering police, who think they can just execute men of color with impunity!!! And this needs to stop, NOW!!!

We can fix this problem by asking the non-police to behave like civil human beings and thus not be treated like the uncivil human beings because their behaviors aren't uncivil....

Garner died of cardiac arrest, had a VERY ENLARGED heart, diabetes, was morbidly obese, had asthma, sleep apnea, and God only knows what other health problems, he didn't die as a result of a "chokehold," which really wasn't applied in a "murdersome manner,' he died as a result of his weakened body from the years of unhealthy habits.... Irregardless of the police actions.... And he wasn't a first time offender by any means...

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This whole thing was stupid. Seriously. Why did the guy resist and why did the officer apply lethal force in a non lethal situation. I promise you if I had a fully sunk rear naked choke on someone they would be out cold in under 5 seconds and I would only use that lethal technique in a much more serious situation. Give me one other officer that I trust and I would have subdued that guy that died without much problem. Pepper spray, baton, taser, whatever....but I guarantee a choke hold was stupid. That being said I don't know how the officer was "trained" or any other specifics of the case, so my understanding of the legality that was applied in this case is limited.

Stupid all around scenario.

I'll relay a story to you. When I worked in lockup we had two huge teenagers get into a fight. My friend attempted to restrain the biggest one while myself and another took on the other one. Well the kid was like 6'5"/250 lbs and began pushing my friend backwards, so my friend circled his back and applied a rear naked choke. Totally uncalled for and absolutely a no no. For whatever reason as I was wrestling with the other kid I looked over and saw what was happening. I disengaged and went over and had to literally scream my name to my friend as the kid started to get wobbly and lose his breathe. Thank God he listened to me that day to release the choke or many many bad things would have happened.

6. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to do the kwon do but I would in no way consider my self combat trained, but I was under the impression that choke holds first knock someone out and if you let go when they "go out" they will be fine unless you continue to hold it? Just looking for clarification?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was always my understanding that the danger wasn't so much the passing out, so much as its very easy to crush things that lead to asphyxiation.

As said this whole thing was stupid, what's even dumber is why the cops were even there.
    Over cigarette TAX!!! That's why, all because nanny Blomberg wanted to either control your life or tax the ever living crap out of you.

That said those holds are not taught in academies and I'm pretty sure their not allowed by a large majority of depts.

Did it really look like he was resisting?
    Because he was be told two different things by two different officers.
    And if you choke me I'm going to skwirm too.

8. Bawanajim

Bawanajim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To many dumb people with to much testosterone, a quick Taser would have ended this instantly, who the hell goes hand to hand with a man of that size? Idiots!

9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A taser would have probably killed him too, he wasn't exactly the picture of health.

10. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    I'm good with that, it only takes one "white" cop to taser him.

Maybe if all cops were married, they would understand the "pick your battles" wisely quote!

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fun fact for taser fans. Approx 30 people have been kill from being tased in the U.S. since 2010. The guy was obese and had heart disease.

Same outcome with a taser? I'd say there was a good probability.

I would agree, the whole situation was stupid.

12. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    There was no "win" in this situation, I guess just being a stupid cop is not a criminal offence.

13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or, what if the guy wasn't breaking the law to begin with. AND, he hadn't already been arrested for breaking the law more than 30 times before. AND, what if he cooperated with authorities when asked? I know!!! He would still be alive. Hmmmm.........seems pretty remedial.

14. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    So are we gonna start shooting speeders, how texting while driving, that's a deadly crime, will these death sentences be applied equally!

15. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jose Guerena, Uhl sisters , Kelly Thomas , Vikki Weaver.........
    Those are but a few .
    This case is just a side effect of the bigger problem with society in general.. Nobody is held accountable on any level.
    There was a time where police and officials were said to be held to a higher standard.

I do understand some of the frustration of some of these people when you see time and again mistakes and or abuses and yet no penalties.
    I am not an idiot who thinks that being a LEO would be an easy gig, but damn is it too hard to police your own?
    Celebrities get the same treatment.

Now if you or I make a mistake and take a life and it was not justified, we'll never see the light of day.

16. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    The perspective is, or should I say , should be, that the cops are supposed to be the good guys, the trained professionals, the educated and disciplined. All of these traits are required to deal with all of those who are not any of the above.
    Drugs, mental illness and piss poor genetics are just a few of the things that lead many to lives of crime, they can't, or simply choose not to live by the rules that society sets to govern us. Hence the need for the police.

Cops are not drafted, they apply and are trained to do this job, just as plumbers or bankers are, and just like there are poor plumbers and bankers there are poor cops. Not many people film their plumbers or bankers yet many seem to be filming cops, I wonder what the fascination is?

17. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Only if they pose a threat to an officer and resist arrest. Garner died from cheeseburgers. Anyone else with any stamina at all, survives that takedown. Brown was shot because he advanced on an officer, more than once. Not sure how that has anything to do with speeders. I guess, if a speeder jumped out of the car and refused to stop advancing on an officer and put that officer in harms way, he might get shot. Being stupid should not really preclude someone from being shot.

18. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't see a cheeseburger in that video

19. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good lord... SMH

20. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Then you didn't open your eyes. There were about 350 lbs. of cheeseburgers in that video. Along with a nice side of diabetes and a smattering of clogged arteries. My mother could have walked away from that takedown and she is 77 and frail. The choke hold had little to do with his death. He was going to die the next time he got the squirts and had to make a mad dash for the toilet.