Do smart phones make you smarter?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Muzzy Man, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So Mr anti-technology is posting this with the smart phone his congregation bought him for pastor appreciation. If they were trying to make me smarter... It ain't working. I did find a good GPS app though which is pretty cool.

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To use it wisely it without question makes one more knowledgable.... Literally every piece of knowledge in the entire world is at your fingertips seconds away. Fleeting curiosities or questions no longer go unanswered, a quick search online can answer it.

I have a few medical and pharmaceutical database subscriptions on my phone, and I can't tell you how many times they have saved my *** while on rounds in the hospital.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have an amish iphone, no apps or music on it

4. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope....how many people in our phones do we actually know their number? Very few of any....they have made us lazy and reliant on technology....what if it was lost? How would you call someone if u can't remember the number...since u only looked at it once when you put it in your phone?.....I include myself in this..even as I type this via tapatalk

5. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know mine makes me feel dumber....and makes my kids look way smarter than me.

6. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They make you seem smarter but make you dumber imo. We don't need to remember anything. You get asked something and out comes the phone. I've been guilty of it alot.

7. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely

Not

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are all becoming social idiots because of smart phone and our constant connection to the web.

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion I don't think technology makes us smarter, it's just a collection of previous knowledge wrapped up into something we can use to obtain information. I personally think mankind is degrading, some may think we are getting smarter but I think it's because we have lots of prior knowledge (previous inventions, technology, theories etc.,) within our grasp. We keep adding onto prior knowledge, technology, invention, theories which allows us to build off of but not necessarily exceed. Think about how many people "reinvented" the wheel before it became a standard technology that everyone was born into understanding the concept of. Just my thoughts. :)

10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nope. We are just as dumb as we always have been and always will be. It's called the human condition.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nope! Makes me Lazier in my opinion!

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Human knowledge went from doubling every century to possibly reaching every 12 hours soon. For those that think people as a whole are getting dumber, how do you explain that explosion coinciding with the internet becoming a platform for sharing ideas?

These discussions always remind me of how "Cars just aren't made like they used to be"... Never mind that the car gets 2-3 times the MPG with more HP, faster speeds, and more room within.

Things change and society is constantly evolving... gotta keep up or be left out.

13. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its just a smart tool! Now I just gotta figure out how to get it to shovel snow!

Hutch

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree it makes us dumber, can see an argument for being more lazy. If I didn't have it's number storage capability, I'd simply write the phone numbers down in a phone book so I don't get that argument.

I think over all we are tons smarter than people were a few decades ago. We understand things that humans thought impossible decades ago. Flight dynamics is just one of many I can think of off the top of my head. Before the wright brothers, people had no concept of how anything mechanical and heavier than air could fly, now most people understand the concept of foils and lift.

I can see where we have lost some basic knowledge people once had in general too though so maybe we end up with very little net gain, if any. Not sure Phones play much into it one way or another, they're just a tool.

15. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I actually think that it is a combination of both dumber and smarter. We have dumbed down our ability to achieve basic skills in math and spelling for instance I have a nephew that I believe could not spell "cat" and relies on the computer or phone to correct his spelling. At work we use AutoCAD and GPS surveying equipment instead of planimeters, blue line machines and slide rules. The kids using this equipment sometimes have no idea of the underlying basics for the calculations. We are dumber in that respect but we are much smarter in utilizing the technology and are much more efficient because of the tech.

16. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto... I ask my son constantly how to do simple tasks... then forget how... defitely don't feel very smart.

17. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Too funny!