Cant stand being around little league sports parents

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Nov 2, 2014.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I sit in my vehicle and watch my kids games as much as possible. I want to slap about half the parents for the rude and obnoxious things they say. I also think it has something to do with the area in which I live. Overachieving parents.....many of which never played sports. Rant over about the obnoxious parents.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As an athlete, the most annoying part ever is when the parents try to tell the referee how to do their job. Especially when the person never played the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I coached youth football for 10 years, was president of the youth football league. The stories I could tell. Usually when you meet a kid that is a craphead and you wonder about them then you meet the parents and realize why the kid is a craphead

4. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, try being a coach on a Little League team with your wife and family sitting in the stands! Some real tools that know how to do it better but don't lift a finger to help out or even get their kid there on time.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife works at the Middle School, and she did while I was coaching and on the board. Parents would tell her what they thought at school, she would not go to my sons games after 1 season, she did go once he was in highschool

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter was a cheerleader for the youth football league in our area and I couldn't stand the parents.. So glad she doesn't do it anymore

7. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't agree more. My wife came real close to getting me in a fight a few weeks ago. We sat listening to a couple guys running there mouths at the refs, coaches and kids for an hour before Lori had enough and asked them to please shut up. Totally out of character for her but after a game and a half that day she had had enough. One of them started running his mouth at her and was damn lucky the wrong words didn't come out of his mouth.

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't get any better when the kids get into high school.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hockey parents are the worst...

10. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was talking to a friend who is a high school baseball coach the other day. He was telling me that there are "travel" tee ball teams.....really? What is wrong with people?

11. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My 10 year old girl plays hockey. Last year we were pretty lucky to have decent parents on our team but we played a few teams who's parents were downright nasty, especially yelling at their own kids. Sad when a kid has tears rolling down her face because her dad is tearing her a new one from the bleachers.

12. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was asked to coach a youth baseball team (12 year olds) a few years ago. The kids were out of a coach, and the dad's didn't really know baseball enough to take it on. I was asked and thought it over. While I would have loved working with the kids and getting back involved, I just could not fathom the idea of hearing about how Little Johnny wasn't playing enough, or my sweet Timmy Boy should be pitching, and so on and so forth.

My dad was my little league coach for 6 years until I moved onto a traveling league. I can still to this day remember his complaints about the parents. He actually kicked a guy out of the complex once for yelling at an umpire.

As High School came, I think the parents got even worse. Quite a few thought their kids were on the fast track to fully paid college scholarships.

13. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I coached my boys' t-ball team this year and had AWESOME parents. They let me coach the way I wanted to and backed me up if discipline (running bases) was involved. Many of the parents asked me to coach again next year.

14. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unsuccessful/unathletic parents trying to live vicariously through their kids. Drives me insane...

Everyone's kid is a D1 recruit...people won't eat but by gosh they'll pay thousands for their kid to be on a "travel team"

15. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I was still in competitive team sports my parents were "those" parents. It wrecks everything, for me it wasn't only embarrassing but I couldn't concentrate on the game. So I asked them not to come. They understood after my friend should them a video of them.

Sent from my IPhone 5S.

16. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I assure you it has nothing to do with the area you live in. It is the same from Florida to Seattle and NYC to San Diego and has been going on for many years. When I coached Little League the other two coaches and I decided that we would draft kids that had the most supportive parents regardless of their skill level. We didn't want to deal with all the crap from parents so we drafted based on parental support and positive attitude. Since we were at an instructional level (9-12 year-olds), we didn't much care about winning the league but wanted to teach the kids how to play baseball...as a team. We made the studs ride the pine and let the scrubs play more than was required. Other coaches told us that we were cheating our kids out of having a chance to experience what it is like to win a championship because we would never do it like that. Four years and three championships later we proved them wrong. Didn't have a single issue with the parents like everyone else did until we coached the all-start team made up of a mix of kids from all teams. Then we heard it from the other kids' parents.

17. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My dad was "that dad" throughout my sports during school. I scored 43 points during a basketball game in high school, but we still had to "work on some things" I did wrong during the game. It got bad enough that during my senior year, I said **** it and quit with three games left in the season. Haven't even thought of sports since high school.

18. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was at one of my son's FALL BALL games where he was playing at a local college (my son was a freshman in high school) the umps were on the college baseball team there.

This was purely an instructural league for fun.

An umpire made a call which was correct but one of the opposing teams parents insisted he had the rule wrong and was screaming at this kid to get it it right (which he had already done) I finally had enough of his mouth and stood up and yelled, it's FALL BALL!!! let them play.

But it goes both ways.

I was sitting behind home plate of my daughter's softball game and at this park the stands are real close. 1st inning and ump made a strike call. I made a comment to a friend sitting beside me that man that was a tight call (or something to that effect) never directed a comment to the ump but he felt the need to stop the game and turn around and let me know I would be ejected if I continue to question his calls. (He has no authority for that) just call the game or coach the game and ignore the parents. If they make threats, contact the authorities and let them deal with it.

19. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to say that i did witness a coach lose it in 10 year old baseball where he had 2 kids on the team. He had 2 calls go against his kids. Both were questionable and when the second occured, he started to point out their mistakes. As the conversation escalted, the ump said you're out of here. The coach responded no I'm not, I'm not done yet. He said his peace for a few more minutes and then stated, now I'm done. Walked off the field and went to the outfield where he watched the rest of the game. I did find that humerous.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  20. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've coached and played about every sport imaginable. Sports have been a big part of my entire life. I could write a book!!! It is simply unbelievable these days.

It gets a little better in High School/College IMO. Its ridiculous in youth sports.