Considering moving to Colorado

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Cincyhunter65, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Cincyhunter65

Cincyhunter65 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, everyone my names carson and I don't post to the site a lot but as corny as it sounds I was needing some advice. I'm 20 years old and out of high school I signed with a school for football after a year I've finally come to the realization that football and living in southern ohio in my hometown isn't where I want to be. Me and my long term girlfriend have decided to move to Colorado to follow my dreams and life goals. My passion in life is the outdoors (hunting,fishing) so I figured its the perfect place. I plan on attending Colorado university or Colorado state and I want to have a career involved wether its working for a major company or working for a outfitter. So my question is does anyone here live or have a opinion on Colorado? And my girlfriend wants to live somewhere semi close to Denver so good areas? And what career paths could I explore?

2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Carson, please don't misinterpret what I am about to say but I'm only responding to this to give you food for thought. First, when you say "me and my long time girlfriend have decided to move to Colorado to follow my dreams and life goals", it sounds like a disaster in the making. You are talking about YOUR passion, YOUR plans, YOUR career. Does all that fit in with hers or does it matter? Where does she fit in the big picture? If her passion and yours are different you might want to figure that out first and find out what is holding the two of you together. If you can figure out a way to love what you do, you will never work a day in your life and that's great. But if you pursue your passion in earnest and your significant other isn't quite as excited about it or she has passions that take her a different direction you are both going to have some painful lessons to learn. Take the time to figure out what makes the two of you work...first. Many, many, many men have ruined relationships with their loved ones because of their love affair with the outdoors. If she is not as passionate about it as you are I promise you there will be problems. Talk to others about their relationships and ask them to be honest with you. Listen to what they say. Don't think it will be different for you because it won't be. Listen to them. Not trying to be a killjoy but from the sound of your question its all about you and not the TWO of you.

Working for an outfitter sounds glamourous but you can't typically make a living at that alone. The work is seasonal and very few places will offer you a full time job. If they do, you will be ranching or some other unrelated job which is fine if that's what you like. Personally I think Colorado is a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I prefer Ft. Collins over Boulder anytime but you have to decide that for yourself. My son is an outfitter and none of his guides work for him full time. Some are single and are well aware having a spouse and living that lifestyle would be extremely hard on the relationship.

Being you are 20 years old you have lots of time to figure things out so I highly recommend pursuing your interests but keep in mind you have to make a living. Pursue a career that will make you happy. Nobody can make that decision for you. Base it on the things you enjoy doing and look at others who have done the same thing and talk to them; a lot! Things at 30 will look much different than they do at 20 and many 30-year-olds wish they would have talked to people in their career path early on for some insight. I recommend you do the same. Good luck.

3. Bawanajim

Bawanajim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pack your stuff, get in your truck and never look back, think small town, Pagosa springs or the like.

Have a great life!

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You only live once ...get your *** out there and enroll in college ASAP.

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice JGD.

6. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    The greatest part of living in America is the freedom, that includes the freedom to fail. And you will never know unless you try,you can always move back to the concrete jungle and live in a subdivision, like those who don't have what it takes to live the dream.

I fail to see the wisdom in taking advice from those who them selves are satisfied with mediocrity and dreaming of a life that's only in their mind.

Pack a little, travel light and live your dream, you will never regret it.

7. Cincyhunter65

Cincyhunter65 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I really appreciate the advice and I completely agree I've told her since the beginning that this is my dream and if she doesn't see herself living this lifestyle she might as well leave now. I know that's harsh but as much as I love her I don't want to sacrifice her happiness for mine. As far as career choice I'm really looking in to working for a large scale company Hoyt, remington, mossberg, bowtech. I know none of these are in Colorado but just examples. Are there in states out west you guys would recommend? I know I'm coming from a million different angles but I'm truely just lost looking for some advice. Thanks again for the reply and taking the time to give me some insight.

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious. Were you referring to someone specific or was that a general comment?

9. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Carson,

Definitely pursue your interests. Save yourself some time and talk to people in the industries and companies you are interested in. Find out what positions the companies hire for and see if there are specific degrees they are looking for. Some won't require a degree but want specific skills you can learn or might already have. Contact some of the companies you've mentioned and find out more about their hiring process; it can't hurt.

Living out west will be a new and awesome adventure for you I promise you that. You will figure it out as you go along, I offer this as encouragement with advice to help you get where you want to me more quickly. Hope this helps.

10. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I'd choose Wyoming or Montana over Colorado but that's just me, have fun out there man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why do you even have a girlfriend? You sure don't seem to care for her much....

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Please spare the tossing of emotional stones...we are talking what basically amounts to a kid that is still wet behind the ears.

Does he really need to be tied to relationship in place he doesn't want to be on the account of a women? sounds like the kid had a monument of clarity ....hopefully he acts on it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  13. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    With out first seeing a picture of her, I would say you are being kind of judgmental. :)

14. Cincyhunter65

Cincyhunter65 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I happen to love her that's why I don't wanna move across the country if that isn't what she wants in life just to make myself happy. Everyone else thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!

15. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm only 21 myself but following are a few things I would consider...

You want to move to CO but don't know where you want to live? I guess the way you worded it was that you were just going to pack up and figure it out once you got there - I would not recommend that; wayyy to many variables. Do you have any money saved, a job lined up or have you even applied to the school yet? This is a big commitment and making a poor choice at your (our) age could really threaten success later in life. Best of luck to you and you're lady friend. If you decide to go through with it, let us know when you get there. Safe travels

16. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This X1000! I will be 30 in June. I wish to God i had gotten some advice like this when I was your age. There is a lot of crap I would go back and change if I could.

17. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    Steel is made stronger by tempering, and so are men, failing is not a fault, its a result, like steel men are made stronger by the mistakes they make, followers never fail, and they are never the strongest of us, face the wind and adversity chose your own destiny
    and live your life like it is the only one you have.

18. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    I think Del Gue said it best!

I ain't never seen 'em, but my common sense tells me the Andes is foothills, and the Alps is for children to climb! Keep good care of your hair! These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here! And there ain't no priests excepting the birds. By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent...

19. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with JGD 100%. There is nothing wrong with pursuing passions whole hearted. But do it with a plan and not blindly throwing yourself out there. Call some companies talk to as many people as you can (like you are doing) and go forward with a plan.

Another piece of advice: Never take life advice from a guy who quotes movies...

20. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    I guessing you don't venture far from your grams, original peanut butter cookie recipe do you?

Live a little, go ahead and tear those tags of your pillows, I dare ya!