Whats the best work schedule?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cmonsta, Oct 29, 2014.

1. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Of course the best is hit the lotto, quit the job and hunt or fish every day. But out side of that, in the real world, whats the best schedule? I currently work 2 weeks on then get 2 weeks off. It has a lot of great points, and it is hard to beat. Would be the best if I was home at nights on my days on. But even if Im working a job in my back yard Im required to live on site, and no non-workers allowed so means I always spend half my life away from my loved ones. That's a tough one to swallow. But, it also means I get a 2 week vacation every month, and if planned right we can do a lot in them 2 weeks, more then most people with just weekends off. So it can even out a little. Would one day love a home every night job, maybe 4 10-12 hour days and 3 day weekends, think that might be the best. What are your thoughts? Schedules? Do you like or not like yours?

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is not bad. I'm 8-3:30 (but I get here at 7) 5 days a week, never a weekend, and good holiday time off. Plus there are the two hour delays, snow days, and summer's "off" :D

The problem? Very little of it helps get me in the woods more. I really will never see two weeks off in November, or taking an entire month off to hunt. I won't be able to easily travel to hunt. I can't easily just submit vacation time requests for every Friday in November, etc.,

If I was bigger into fishing, I would have the perfect career. As a hunter, I have one of the worst.

3. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    May I ask what your career is? teacher?

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not my schedule, that's for sure. I run three sales teams. I work 50-60 hours a week and have teams in EDT, CDT, and PDT timezones. I rarely see my kid in the morning before I leave, and I usually get home around 7pm at night and see him for maybe half an hour. I hate that part.

Because a huge chunk of my compensation is based on performance and we are on a monthly quota, time off during the last two weeks of the month never happens.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. High School Technology Education.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine's not too bad. 6:30-3:30 5 days a week, no weekends. I get 3 weeks of vacation, which sounds like a lot, until you get to November and have already used the majority your days off.

7. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As long as my work gets done it does not matter when I do it.

8. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To me the ideal would be 4-10's or 3-12's or a job I could do from home on my own schedule.

Unfortunately I work 8-4:30 most days Monday-Friday.

9. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I work rotating DuPont Shift.... 6a-6p one week off a few days then 6p-6a and then off a few....12hrs a day but no more then 4 days a week then 3 days a week and I get 8 straight days off once a month. I never have to take vacation days to hunt and I don't hunt weekends when PL can be over run with other hunters. My schedule is very handy when it comes to hunting and Golf in the summer

10. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would love to work 4 10s. That would be ideal for me. 3 12s would be tough. 12 hour days...ugh.

Currently work from 7-4, 5 days a week.

I couldn't do the 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off with a family.

11. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah 12hr shifts can be a bear cause it's the only thing I do on those days. Add in a hr ride each way to work and I'm gone 14-15hr a day.... But I only work 14-15 a month and with vacation days (20) cause my yrs at my employer, I have off more a year then I work

12. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    6-2:30 5 days a week. its pretty sweet you get all afternoon to hunt

13. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If all goes as planned once I retire from the Army in a few years, the flight job I'm hoping for will be 7 days on, 7 days off which will work fine for me for hunting season!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also a fan of 4 10's, and there are schools going this direction (although it would not work out to a true 10 hr day as it's a state by state requirement they must meet).

15. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same for me. Only difference is I might travel 3 days and 2 nights a week but if I want to hunt or fish starting at noon on a Friday I can usually swing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my schedule. Monday an Tuesday 6 am till 6 pm. Wednesday and Thursday days off. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday work from 6am till 6pm. The next week will be exact opposite. So I work 15 days a month. Or less than half a year and still make more money than a 40 hour week. Add 3 weeks of vacation plus holidays and I work about 140 days a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

17. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Start your own business and work your arse off for 10-20yrs then make your own schedule and vacation times for the rest of your life. That's what I've done and although I'm no filthy rich I will vacation a month or two each year.

18. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Not a bad option, either. Though, hopefully in 20yrs I will be 2 years from retirement :D

19. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can pretty much pick my hours as long as I work 8 each day Mon - Fri. I normally like to work 7:45 - 4:15. I get 4 weeks vac. I'm allowed to leave for appointments, etc without making up any time which is nice.

20. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just think everyone one needs to consider the option. I've got a few friends that have made good money working for others and now their companies are down sizing or bringing in new blood and these guys are 50+ and looking for work.