Weather Channel founder blasts climate change

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Afflicted, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea but I still don't like how journalists don't let people talk. They want them to stay between point 8-9. Don't stray or I will real you in it cut you off. Would like to hear a extended interview. But I agree with him. It's just a money making government scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ugh.

I hate so much how the discussion of global warming or climate change or whatever has become. Why can't we have a legitimate discussion about this? It always becomes so damn political. Why should I care what this journalist has to say about this topic? He has no scientific education whatsoever.

Of course carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas. And we all know that it is just a "small" greenhouse gas. That isn't a debate so I don't know why he acts like that is some great revelation by him.

It's so frustrating. Neither side can step back and look at the data without letting their emotions get in the way. That is sad.

4. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah global warming as been a myth for a long time. Last winter, coldest in years but Al just keeps making his own little ozone hole with all the touring he does but that's ok because he is money.

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well..."man made" global warming may or may not have been a myth, but there was pretty solid data that the global temperature was warming for awhile, especially during the 90s. What caused that warming is the debate.

Of course, that temperature increase has pretty much stalled the past 15 years, which has left global warming advocates a bit stumped, and global warming deniers saying "told you so!"

Its all horribly frustrating because almost no one on either side can look at the data objectively.

6. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  7. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Start by stopping your emotions from getting in the way then.

The guys spent his life predicting the weather. Does he really need some fancy diploma from a Liberal University or make his living off of governmental & leftwing grants to prove global warming?

8. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    The leftwing media has already made it a done deal. Mankind is killing the planet so if you say anything to contradict that your called a rightwing wacko.

Just look at the carbon credits scam they've already been soaking companies for.

9. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
  10. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My emotions aren't in the way...

:lol: Having a scientific background would help

11. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right

and the right wingers scream "ITS A MYTH" no matter what the data says

Its all horribly frustrating

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

We may have data to look at but that data has two major faults IMO.
    1. The sampling period is still too short considering the age of the earth and the length of time we have been taking or are able to extract/interpolate data.
    2. Since there are so many variables within the earth it is almost impossible to pinpoint the cause of any changes reflected by the data therefore allowing anyone to put their own spin on the information the data reflects.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  13. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    100% agreed

plus if you read a lot of these studies and predictions, the predictions have a +/- 2 degree margin of error, which is often greater than the study/predicted temperature :lol:

14. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bottom line is that this country is currently spending billions of dollars unnecessarily to try to eradicate an imaginary problem. We are dismantling entire industries at a tremendous cost to every citizen in this country for what is essentially a political football. If you follow the money trail the so called "green energy" industry can't compete with traditional forms of energy so they get governmental intervention to help in the form of obtrusive regulations which makes them uncompetitive and the business then gravitates to more expensive forms of energy which as consumers we all pay for. Classic case of government deciding winners and losers.

15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    well the government is doing a poor job because O&G is booming right now :lol:

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When some politicians are pushing cap and trade legislation it is only natural for the topic to become extremely political.

17. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like you just attacked the founder of the Weather Channel and didn't really talk about what he had to say.

But go on with your "objectively" of both sides.

If an oil companies pays for a study its dismissed but if the government or university pays for it it's the gospel and you've already said "temperature increase has pretty much stalled the past 15 years" and then when it's been pushed the hardest.

So who's side is not listening?

18. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    O&G is driving an economic revival in jobs and revenue in many areas right now and we are fortunate to have this asset in the country but the green movement is very active in attempting to halt or severly limit drilling activities not because of the science of hydraulic fracturing but because it is at it's core a fossil fuel and therefore must be bad. The regulatory environment that drilling companies are exposed to is very extensive and very costly which increases their cost substantially which to my point increases the cost to everyone.

19. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I listened to his interview. He didn't say much. His "carbon dioxide is a small greenhouse gas" is something everyone already knew, so I don't know why they acted like that was some big break in the fight against climate change advocates.

to stupid people, yeah I guess

Well neither "side" is really listening. They just keep fighting and saying "nuh huh you're wrong" over and over and over.

Trust me, I am in no way for government intervention to prevent climate change. That would be quite dumb at this point. But I also do not think we should completely dismiss the idea of man made climate change based upon our political ideals. Nor do I think we should cease to study the issue.

20. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trust me, I'm aware

I'm a consultant for O&G companies to help them with all their environmental regulatory permits, procedures, practices, etc