Half-marathon training update - I'm in trouble

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LittleChief, Oct 22, 2014.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    As I said, I'm in trouble. Well, I think I am.

The past few runs have been painful despite being spaced out in an attempt to let myself recover. The last long run I did was 10 miles on the 11th. I ended up having to take a little over a week off to recover from that because of some significant lower calf pain in my left leg.

I haven't had a pain free run since. I ran Tuesday last week and it was painful, but I did four miles. I attempted to run again that Thursday and I made it a mile and a half before the pain became unbearable and I had to stop.

So, I took more time off. Yesterday I set out on a five mile run and made it four miles before I had to stop. Same pain, just not as bad and I didn't want to push it too far.

This morning I am HURTING. It's not the calf muscle like I thought it was. Now the lower part of the left calf is hurting and the achilles tendon is shooting sharp pain with every step and I'm walking with a significant limp. The pain is intense enough that I can't "suck it up" and walk normally.

I'm supposed to be hunting in Kentucky this weekend. In fact, I'm leaving work at 11:00 to set up this afternoon. I should probably go to the doctor ASAP, but I'll wait until I get back on Monday. I'll just have to allow some extra time to limp the 3/4 mile to my stand. My brother will be on hand to help me if I kill a deer.

2. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You need to stop running completely and give yourself time to heal. What you are doing may very well lead to permanent damage, if it hasn't already. Don't be so hard headed. STOP!

If you were my husband I would make sure that you stop.

3. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, my wife gave me that message very clearly last night. I know that I'm done. I just don't know for how long. It's pretty depressing.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you thought about riding a bike in the interm?

5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I really hadn't considered it, but I will. Of course, that would mean buying a bike. :)

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't sell it or profit from it but I will suggest that you check out Nutronix labs. Antler spray, I am 48 and I swear by it. I have 2 friends my age who are also wildland firefighters and the stuff works for them as well