Considering getting a Bird dog

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by frantzracing0, Oct 10, 2014.

1. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the past 2 years I have really gotten into pheasant and grouse hunting during the weeks that archery closes. I really enjoy it and cant wait every year to get out (despite the fact that I have limited success). Now im getting tired of hiking miles on the ground to get one bird. While guys around me with dogs are filling limits for 6 guys.

That said, im considering a pointer. Either a GSP or a Brittney. Im willing to spend the money for a good bloodline, but I have ZERO experience in field training and I want to do it right. How much time DAILY is required? I do work a busy schedule at times and may not get the dog out every single day to train. I just dont want to get in over my head and end up with a dog that doesnt hunt hahaha

2. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You don't need to spend everyday training your dog. In fact when they are young you can make training more of a game so its easier. I would check you tube for some training help and ideas.

Depending on your budget you can also do one of two things. Purchase a dog that is already trained or semi trained. Or send your dog off for training. A friend is sending his lab off for training it is a three year process. the dog is gone for 3-4 months a year and he gets him back before the fall so he can hunt with him then in the spring he will go back to the trainer for 3 more months.

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a french brittany. I picked my up from Blue Chip Kennel in Hampton, Iowa. Jay Parrish is an A+ guy and will take care of you throughout the whole experience.

I did a ton of research before purchasing a hunting dog/family dog. I liked the fact that they are the smallest pointing breed in the world, which makes good for the family in the house and easier to take care of. 85% + of that dogs life is going to be at your house and not hunting. Pick a breed you can live with.

[​IMG]

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never personally trained a dog for bird but training my shepherd for sheds was the most fun ive had with him. Spent an hour with him every day for a week and he learned quick, Once he started getting it i made it a couple hours a week and now its down to once or twice a week. I recommend a GSP or Drahthaar..good luck

5. zlr1980

zlr1980 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am by no means a pro but when i bought my springer for bird hunting I would buy chukar from a local bird farm and train with them. Take them and plant them in a field then take your dog downwind and let it work the field start out making it easy for the dog to find the bird and gradually make it more difficult. Of course you will need to introduce gun fire to it before you shoot a bird over it I started with a .22 then a 20ga and eventually my 12ga. I think the key is to get them use to gun shots and then get as many birds in front of them for the first year as possible. Then instincts will take over my springer is 4 now and I dont buy birds anymore or train him he just knows when we head to the woods its time to look for birds. Of course with a pointer there will be more to it as far as the pointing aspect goes thats why I went with a flusher I just wanted a dog to flush the bird and I could shoot it then have the dog bring it back. Watch a lot of youtube videos they help also. Good Luck!

6. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She will retrieve ducks, pheasants, and doves. Great family dog and very protective. However they are strong willed and you need to be a bit experienced to handle one. I had two weimaraners as well years ago. They were outstanding hunters with strong pointing skills.

7. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We are picking up another GSP pup fro my sons Christmas this year. IMO they are one of the best breeds for home and hunting. The only set back is the first year and a half they will tear up EVERYTHING! Once you get passed that point they are wonderful. GSP's also require lots of exercise so they need to be let out an ran once if not several times a day. Training mine has always been a breeze.

8. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you from? I'm a lab guy, but I've hunted with GSPs before and they sure are great dogs but in MN when temps are zero and I'm busting pheasants from the cattails with my lab, my buddies GSPs are standing there shivering, so consider your hunting temps. If you'll be hunting in real cold, maybe a German wirehair pointer would be better for you?

I like Wolters books for training, they are old but very effective. Heck read a few books and see what you like.

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trading a dog is another full time job. Think of it this way.. The time you put into training your dog is what you will get out of him.

10. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Brit and love hunting over top of him. Training a dog it tedious and requires daily attention.....however you become extremely close with bird dogs and look forward to those sessions. At least I do.

Good Luck. I am in MI and have some recommendations for trainers if you're in the area

11. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Our GSP is awesome. We got picked her out as a puppy. We weren't allowed to get her until she was 6 weeks (summer of 2007). That fall we took her out for her first hunt and she found 7 roosters. We had worked with her a few times with just a pheasant wing. We never taught her to retrieve but she will find any bird around. She hasn't gotten a lot of work over the past 5 years because of my school schedule and my dads work schedule but we got her out one afternoon last year and we both got our limit (2 birds each). She is also a great house dog. She has never done anything remotely aggressive towards anyone. She is a really big baby. She is one of the most enjoyable dogs to be around because they are independent dogs but also very cuddly. She is always sitting on someones lap. This was about 4 years ago. She is still the same size. She hasn't grown since she was about 2 or 3 years old.

[​IMG]

12. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    So I have been looking at puppies all week. Found a few but didnt buy because of no proof of hunting in the family. But today I saw the most awesome thing. My buddy has been trying to sell me on this beagle puppy of his. Now when I hear beagles, I think nothing but rabbits. Well he swore to me that this dog was a bird dog......and he was not kidding.

So I met him this morning and he had this pooch in the back. About a 15" beagle. Took her out of the back, put her sport collar on and told her to go find the birdies. We walked behind her, without shotguns, for only about 150 yards before her head dropped real low, tail stuck straight out, and she was on a trail. SURE ENOUGH, she flushes a darn grouse not 40 yards past that and within 30 yards of us. The darndest thing. So we kept walking and within our mile or so hike, she flushed 6 grouse. She did go off on a rabbit trail twice, which was also encouraged considering I love hunting and eating rabbits as well.

Now, im headed home after work to begin building a roof to my kennel and a new dog box.......im buying a bird hunting BEAGLE!!!!

13. MNpurple

Dislikes Received:
    Well of the hunting breeds that's the last one I thought you'd choose for birds! They are fun little dogs. Good luck with him and we'll be waiting for some rooster/beagle pics.

14. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great choice. Good luck this year.

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  16. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    Tony, this is more of what I was expecting to get. I was actually planning to look at a litter of German Shorthaired Pointers this weekend, and a litter of brittanys on the coming tuesday. But honestly, this dog is everything I could ever hope for. I dont hunt wide open prarrie land where a dog needs to be on the move fast to cover ground. I hunt overgrown, brushy field edges and even dense timber. The pheasants I hunt are all stocked and a ton of them hold in the timber.

You should have seen this dog work. We spent 5 min throwing a ball with a grouse wing tied to it, then he told him to go find it. Off this dog went and was literally climbing through brush piles for these birds. And she is still young at 7 months, so I can refine her even more.

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up bungling pheasant behind a Beatle....lots of funbut you just need to stay with the dog as they ate flushers....keep us updated!

18. MNpurple

Dislikes Received:
    Just how big was this beatle that ate these flushers. I want to stay clear of him!

19. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    My plan is to use an e collar to help keep her in range, but honestly she worked pretty close yesterday. Almost always within 30 35 yards.

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ;lol:

Oops!