Good Riddance

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Muzzy Man, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To all these no count thugs that the NFL is baling on. Now if they could just start weeding them out in college... Jameis Winston, Johnny Bigmouth, Nick Marshall... and the band plays on.

My son needs a 28 or so on his ACT for a decent placement in college... he has a 33 and swims everyday. Swimming isn't valued as highly... but the thugs... who barely pass high school... and make 16 ACTs get full rides to schools where the admissions standards are much higher, and then they are celebrated because of football. This is BS... and we are surprised to learn they are still thugs when they are making millions?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I despise sports. Players are nothing more than modern day gladiators and it's sort of a silly thing to get so caught up in, much less pay out millions of dollars to provide entertainment. There are millions of people every day that provide important support and services that I'd far prefer earn that sort of money than some loudmouth thug that's only achievement in life is being a dope-headed, 25 time baby daddy that can run through other people while carrying a ball, throw a ball or drop a ball in a hole. Pop culture is retarded in so many ways.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I talk about it all the time. The sports that help develop character and inner strength are ignored, under funded and many times cut from the curriculum . (Swimming, Music and other Fine Arts) Yet the big 3 (Football, Basketball and Baseball) are lauded. I know all too well what you are saying Muzzy Man. I came out of high school 3rd in my class and scored nearly 1500 on the SAT and did not get accepted to any of the 3 (Div1) schools I applied to. It didn't stop me. I went on and achieved my goal to become an Electronic Engineer. Yet, I saw guys who barely passed any classes in high school go on to college on a Full scholarship to squander it all. And people wonder why our society and moral code continues to diminish at such a rapid pace. My Career Development Teacher in college gave us an AWESOME quote to remember in life. I have quoted it hundreds of times and it has NOT failed to play out yet, "He said, remember this...All the A and B Students will one day work for the C student!"

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are 1700 men in the NFL on rosters and practice squads. Currently there are 10 players with legal issues. If you took 1700 random men aged 22-35 chances are you will come up with that number in legal trouble as well. Don't let media coverage fool you into believing all football players are thugs

5. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And don't let a accusations equate to guilt.

6. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The NFL is no different than it has ever been. There is just that much more media awareness to everything that happens now. And as already mentioned it is a very low percentage which are actually getting into trouble with the law...probably no higher than the general population?

7. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ray Rice admitted his guilt and then the video came out later

Peterson admitted to the "whoopin" he gave his four year old son and is sorry for it. The photos taken at the hospital which were leaked are legit and the same being used for evidence by the County Prosecutor. Peterson just has a different idea of what he feels constitutes child abuse than the County of Montgomery, Texas does. I don't need a court to tell me if what he did is right or wrong....I have seen enough

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    That would be ignoring the fact that many of these players get preferential treatment by law enforcement. Most of the time people intentionally "look the other way" when there's a suspicion that a sports star did something illegal.

None-the-less, no sports player is worth a 50 million dollar contract.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The players contracts equal 51% of the revenue generated by the NFL, the players deserve the money they make considering the revenue they generate.

10. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    You're confusing my statement as being a fairness in salary issue. If they are going to generate that much money for the NFL, the wages are fair...I certainly don't wish to see the owners and NFL make more profit. I'm saying it's silly that sports generate enough revenue (that people waste that much money) on sports to start with. Which I refer back to my original post quote above.

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are also many great men and women who play professional sports, the media just doesn't like to talk about them because it doesnt sell.

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    On another note, I played with a guy named Darren Sharper for four years in college. My teammates and I believed he was going to be the first College of William and Mary football player to ever be inducted in the the NFL hall of fame in the upcoming years. That was until he was recently charged with drugging and raping women all over the US....absolutely sickening and it makes our small, yet solid academic school look terrible. We are all still in shock this sicko played with us.

[​IMG]

13. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How so...? I would like to hear all the examples that go along with that, or statistics that prove that statement.

Sota hit the nail on the head... You are all blinded badly by the media and the image it projects on everyone. Go research the amazing things a lot NFL players do with their time in the community, with kids, with helping schools develop better programs, etc, etc, etc.

14. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Let me state... there are some great guys in the NFL... the vast majority. There are some great guys in college as well... the vast majority. Far too many to put up with the ding bats.

That being said... college sports should be about using a talent to earn an education... first and foremost. Div 1 Football IS NOT... it is strictly about money. I don't have a problem with the kids playing the game. I have a problem with lowered standards for admissions, lower GPA standards, lower Standardized testing requirements... and a lower standard of behavior being extended to student athletes.

15. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to hear that... it must be odd... knowing someone like him personally. My niece went to high school with a recent Heisman winner. I won't call his name... his high school days, according to my brother were... let's say... troublesome.

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Lol...if you need me to go and compile a list of NFL players that committed atrocities for years without being brought up on charges then there's nothing I can come up with to convince you because you simply want to ignore it as you have your entire life evidently. How long did Vick fight dogs before the word hit the right (or wrong) channel? How long have the players doing drugs been doing drugs before finally (if ever) getting suspended? Bunch of overpayed hacks that are too stupid to appreciate what they've been given.

Many of the things players do is just PR and probably either required or highly encouraged by the team, I'm not impressed with involuntary PR. They should feel compelled to give back to the community considering all the community gives them for doing nothing of importance. Media coverage has nothing to do with my opinion outside of reporting crime.

17. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't ignore it if you gave me examples and backed up what you said... Obviously you are blinded by the media and have a hatred for professional sports. No changing that.

Placing a generalization on a group of 1500+ men because of a few bad apples and saying they are "too stupid to appreciate what they're given" is plain ignorant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk