Pay it forward....

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Swamp Stalker, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We had one of these threads going awhile back and i figure it's time to start a new one!

**DISCLAIMER** By no means am I looking for an "atta boy".

My wife is an overly generous/giving person. I really never was until i met her and seeing how she was changed me in several ways. She even gave a kidney to her best friend 2 years ago!! awesome miracle story to say the least.
    ANYWAYS!!!
    Last night my wife,son and I went out to dinner at Chili's cause fatty boy here needed a full rack of ribs and some draft beer. There was a younger couple across the aisle from us (Late 20's, we are mid-late 30's) with 2 little ones around 3-5 years old. We overheard them discussing the menu with the waitress and if they got the 2 for $20 could the appetizer be a kids meal to be split between the 2 little ones. My wife and I made eye contact and we both smiled, because it brought back memories of us when we first started out, when ordering a pizza was a huge treat and going out to dinner was the excitement of the month for us. I said to my wife, are you thinking what I'm thinking? she said, 2 steps ahead of you! we paid for our meal and as we left we grabbed the waitress and paid the couples bill. (with cash so there was no trace of who did it) We got out of there fast! We just felt like it was a nice thing to do, and hope they took it that way! My wife and I are by no means wealthy, we have bills we have to push back a month or two just like everyone else. The feeling you get by doing something nice is awesome, and we can only hope that someday that couple pays it forward to someone else!
    This isn't the first time we've done it, last winter my wife paid for a new battery and oil change for an elderly lady who looked mortified at the auto-shop when she was told how much her bill was..LOL!!

So how have you paid it forward lately? ;)

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So YOU were the one that paid for our dinner??? Thanks, Joe!

3. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tony, he said a couple in their 20s, not 60s

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you take your last number and subtract your firs number.....you will be on ....I have been 20 twice ;)

5. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm almost there with you! And Swamp, that was a great thing you and your wife. It's those little things of being nice that make your day, better!

6. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We need more of this in the world, today more than ever.

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    'Atta boy Joe :tu:
    Oh wait... you said... oh never mind! :evilgrin:

I've been helping out my youngest cousin's kid (she's 20 and has 2 babies - 3yr and 1yr). Live-in boyfriend (and daddy to the 1 year old) up and quit his job because he got 'yelled at'. Landlord kicked 'em out because they couldn't pay their rent, lost their car insurance, behind on car payments... so that's going back to the bank. So they have moved in with her mom.

I'll help 'em out physically and emotionally... but not financially. I wrote their resumes, gave them job leads, and am carting them around to find employment. My wife and I also cleaned out our cupboards and delivered a TON of boxed and canned food to help them all too (two families living together under one roof can be stressful). I also told them to start attending church!!! However I think that landed on deaf ears.

The dude did say yesterday, "Guess I shouldn't have quit my job." I just looked at him and said.... "DUH! You think?"

I know this really isn't 'Paying it Forward' per se... but hopefully they'll get on their feet and be able to help somebody else somehow at a latter date.

9. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We haven't lately, but about 6 months ago we kept paying it forward going. We had someone pay for our family dinner at Denny's. We turned around and paid for another guests dinner and left a good tip. I always wondered how many more people paid it forward that night.

10. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last year a gal passed away from Epilepsy here in my town. They started the AJO fund. Which is paying it forward. I regularly pay for a cup of coffee or soda for the person behind me at the gas station. If you get bored, look up the AJO stories. Some great ones!

What a great thing for you. I'm sure that family was very happy and thankful!

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We really do, people are so caught up in themselves these days, and no one seems to take a minute to think of others.

That's a great thing you and your wife did! At some point I hope they do pay it forward!

That's awesome Tim!

I'll have to take a look at those stories! My wife pays for coffees for people alot at Dunkin Donuts in the drive through line. One time she had a lady fly up beside her beeping the horn wildly saying "THANK YOU!!" lol

12. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't that be "paying it backward"? Haha, just kidding. I love these stories and we definitely need more of this behavior in our society. I hope that the kids around pick up on this and continue with it later and spread it even more. I haven't done anything like this in a while. Y'all have inspired me to get back into it. This thread reminded me of how awesome it feels to help others selflessly. GREAT STUFF!!!

Great thread Joe!