Vehicle content security, what's everyone use?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cls74, Aug 30, 2014.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Since IL adopted concealed carry and has a lot of no carry zones, I started looking into what to do with a truck as it has limited security and storage. I know a lot of people on here own trucks, just curious what everyone uses to secure things.

Ended up going with a console vault and just recently got a hitch safe as well. Love the way they both fit and work. Would have opted for a 4 digit combo lock on the console but wasn't sure the extra was truly worth it as far as time needed to crack is concerned. They both seem fairly secure, and if someone does get through them it's time to start looking at who knew what was there compared to a quick smash and grab theft.

This is in a Tacoma so different styles will have different designs and space volume. Mine does well, normal use would have no disadvantages at all. Haven't tried a 1911 yet, but it should fit just wouldn't lie flat I'm sure. This is with an xds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the hitch safe mainly to.stor a spare key so I can lock up the my key ring inside the console safe when on public land or somewhere I don't want to lose or carry my keys. Wrapped in a sandwich bag not drugs :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reviews on both are good, easy to install and function is as simple as it gets.

2. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    both nice additions, but that hitch safe is cool
    who would think of looking there ?

btw...go steelers ! :)

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I actually thought about changing the cover design somehow, thinking people might look for that design knowing what it was. But yeah it is pretty cool and seems secure. Not about to throw the money away seeing what it takes to break through :lol:

As for the Steelers, we should have cut Haley with the roster cuts

4. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Might I make a suggestion?
    If you haven't already thought of it, perhaps mount a holster on the inside of there.

Pretty slick on the trailer hitch.
    And does that vault get mounted in fairly secure?
    I was always un impressed by the cable lock boxes, better than nothing but easily defeated.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It mounts in with a but longer bolts than the factory bolts inside the console. It would take more work to take the whole safe versus popping the top somehow.

This is for storage when you have to leave it in the vehicle. Not so much transport.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As to your holster point, you could easily get a piece of foam 2-3" thick and put in it. Cut your custom slots or holes to put mags upright and gun barrel down or something without compromising too much space. Mine has a lot of vertical volume, looks like they make them for several vehicles so it's all about volume really.

7. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't some states require the gun and ammo To be stored separately? Or does it just have to be unloaded?

8. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only if you don't have a ccw.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Illinois doesn't require them to be separate. Just can't have one in the chamber. Not really sure on other states

10. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just want to take this opportunity to make fun of illannoy again...... hah ha!

;)

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use a BestTop under seat safe. Although a G17 is a tight squeeze. I have to take the mag out.

off topic- I have officially been "illinoyd" beyond repair...moving right after the first of the year...just not sure if I am going "back home again, in Indiana" or out to Big Sky country.