Josh Gordon and Ray Rice

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Lester, Aug 28, 2014.

?

Did the NFL handle these two suspensions correctly?

1. Gordon and Rice's suspension are what they should be.

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Gordon's suspension is too long.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rice's suspension is too short.

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Gordon's suspension should be shorter and Rice's suspension should be longer.

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Josh Gordon gets a year for failing another drug test and Ray Rice gets 2 games for knocking out a woman. Do you think the NFL handled these correctly?

2. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ray Rice should be in jail, thus taking it out of the NFL's hands if he gets to play or not.

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    His drug test results are in line with what his story was which was that it was due to second hand smoke. Now I know that "story" has been tried probably a million times before, but the results don't lie. He's been subject to over 70 drug tests, all of which he passed, and the one he failed the amount in his system dropped from the first failed result to the second failed result. If he actually had smoked it himself, not only would it not have dropped within the minutes it takes to go from one test to another, the amount in his system would have been much higher. His failed drug test would have passed the MLB and Las Vegas boxing drug policies. So yes, he's stupid for putting himself in that situation by hanging out with friends who smoke, but to pass 70 drug tests and then fail one by the amount he did means his story is very plausible. There's hard proof of what Rice did, and punching a woman is miles worse than smoking mary jane in my book.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gordon got what he deserved, might seem harsh, but he cant follow rules, so it doesn't matter. He'll do something else stupid while suspended.

Rice should have got more BUT the NFL was handcuffed, he didnt get convicted of a crime so they could only go with player conduct. If they would have suspended him for a year then it would give the impression that the NFL could suspend you for however long they want for ANYTHING that you do. Grey area.

FWIW, other players have been accuses of battery/domestic abuse or hitting a woman and it doesnt get talked about near as much (Richard Sherman).

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Was there any video showing Ray punch his wife? Was there any video which showed Rays wife assaulting him first?

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess according to the drug policy it doesn't matter how it got into his system so I guess technically you are right. Like I said, he may have been hanging out with the wrong person but the drug test results are in line with what he said. It just sucks because he passed 70 other drug tests so I just wish that would have come into play and maybe lessened the punishment. He is a problem player though, that I agree with.

^^I believe there was video of him dragging her out of the elevator when she was knocked out but both he and his wife admitted they both hit each other.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I do not condone hitting a woman. However, after having worked many a domestic assault and battery case I have seen a lot. You get two people who are highly intoxicated, put them into an elevator, and then a woman begins hitting the man. The man responds and "hits" the woman.

This might sound bad. When a man "hits" a woman when she is piss drunk many woman cannot believe the man retaliated and hit her back so she just shuts down psychologically and physically from being drunk/depressed, therefore falling to the ground. I can almost guarantee his wife was not really knocked out.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pure opinion. She could have been knocked out just as likely as she may not have been. It's extremely easy to knock someone out, just look at middle school kids doing it to grown adults in the "knockout game." All we know is, they both admitted to hitting each other and there was domestic abuse. I should have stated that the video showed him dragging his wife out of the elevator and there was apparent domestic abuse that they both agreed to. I assumed by their admission that she was "knocked out" which I guess we don't know either way.

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am okay with Gordon's suspension just because he seems to be getting caught with something every other month. Failing this test or another, it was only a matter of time until this happened. The guy seriously needs to fix his life and consider getting some new friends.

Rice should've been more, maybe half the season. Could've been retaliation but it still gives the league a bad image.

10. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gordon has had a drug issue every year since he was in junior high. At what point do you stop slapping guys on the wrist? he was undrafted because of these issues.

Up until the point RR hit his wife, he was nothing but a good person, teammate, did a lot for community. Everyone makes mistakes. I've never hit a woman, but I could see how it could happen. Have a bunch of drinks, shes starts smacking you because you looked a girl wrong, and he snaps for 2 seconds and his life should be over?

I know its a different crime if you will, but should you be judged on 2 seconds? Or years of repeating the same action? Think about your own life, would you want the world to judge you on the worst thing you've ever said or done? Even in a fit or rage, or drunken stupor?

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I've knocked a lot of people out and Ive seen people crumble from the pain of simply being smacked. Who knows what happened.

12. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Negative, not that I care what he smokes. But he would have to be trapped in a closet with 5 people smoking non stop for days in order to fail a drug test from second hand smoke. It doesn't happen.

13. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I am trained to run urinalysis and in the class they explained how the trace amounts from second hand smoke wouldn't be enough to cause a positive reading. That excuse is invalid.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both of you are completely false on your assumptions. Hair follicle tests can easily be failed from second hand smoke, especially if riding in a car or in a small room with someone smoking. The NFL's threshold is 15 ng/mL while most employers, including Olympic testing is 50 ng/mL. Not to mention his first drug test failed and the second one he passed. He came in at 16 ng/mL and 13.63 ng/mL. So yeah, there's that.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  15. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The NFL tests urine bro...not hair.

And NFL just announced they are upping domestic abuse suspensions. 6 games for 1st offense, Life for 2nd.

16. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: and your assumption that it was from second hand smoke is more believable?
    Maybe his mama believes him.
    NFL tests urine not hair follicle, no way.

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The same urine was used in both tests, split into 2 samples. So had they tested the second cup first he would have passed, which means the urine test is inaccurate and they should have done a hair follicle test, which I thought they did. If they didn't then it sounds like they need to start doing it.

18. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well....Goodell just went a lot harsher for domestic violence. Lifetime ban for 2nd offense, 6 games for 1st.

19. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, read my reply above. It is clearly more believable. How do you suppose he passed 70 drug tests, failed one and passed the other on the same urine sample?

20. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And it could be even worse then 6 weeks if a weapon was present or used, it happened in front of a child, or to a pregnant woman.

I also heard they are trying to make a DUI penalty alot harsher as well.