Training a Dog to Hunt

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by PinkPony, Aug 21, 2014.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone here ever train a dog to retrieve waterfowl?

We just went and picked out a chocolate lab puppy today. He's only four weeks old, so we will be getting him mid September. However, I'd like to get him used to everything as soon as I can. Are there any books out there people recommend? He doesn't have any hunting in his family, but if he's will to learn it, we would like to give it a shot.

I know basic training. Sit, stay, lay down, etc. However not a thing about hunting dogs.

I'm off to search Amazon for some books, but insider information is greatly appreciated, too.

Thanks!

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pretty darn good one I would be willing to sell to you.

[​IMG]

3. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Is that a book or DVD?

I am online at Amazon, and all I seen with them was DVD's.

Sorry, MNPurple, you posted when I did! Thanks for the link...I do a lot of buying on Amazon.

5. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto on Wolters. My husband used his books and swears by them.

6. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you've never trained a hunting dog, just be very gentle on introducing him to guns, thats one part you don't want to go wrong. Start at a distance with just a .22, keep him playing, give him treats with the .22 goes off and slowly bring it closer to him, making sure the whole experience is all fun! Then on to a 20 ga, then a 12, and then you've got your buddy!

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Take one step farther than that. Start out with a kids cap gun. Every time that cap gun goes off make sure she is having fun. She will eventually associate fun with a gunshot if done correctly.

8. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I personally never trained a dog to hunt, however my husband has trained his (old) dog to not be gun shy. I was told from a friend who goose hunts that when the dogs are eating bang a metal pan - something loud. He said that is what he did and his dogs are not afraid.

Definately purchasing a book or two off of Amazon. I want to start early, and hopefully have a good pup to hunt with in a year or two!

Thank you.

9. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used the retriever training by tom dokkens it has worked well IMG_0466 (2).jpg here is a pic of my dog raider he is a year and a half now he did 88 retrieves last hunting season just go slow and it will come

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got lucky I guess...my dog literally runs toward the sound of gunfire. Did so w/o any training.
    Thinking of trying to train him on upland birds because he can't swim a lick. Thanks for the tip on the book. Looks like it has really good reviews.

11. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wolters is outdated IMO. I know there has been thousands of dogs trained with his methods, including one of mine back in the day, but there is better ways to do it now. Dog training has come a long way in the past 30 years.
    To me a video is better, I can actually see what they are doing. Any of the "top picks" in this link will get you a good duck dog.This is also a great place to get your dog training supplies.
    Retriever Training Videos & DVDs.
    I also recommend this one for your puppy to get you started in the right direction.
    Sound Beginnings Retriever Training DVD with Jackie Mertens. $39.95.
    Also, this is a great forum for training dogs.
    RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF

12. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I would be willing to get a DVD - I just don't have the time to sit and watch one. My down time is at work. I can easily pull a book out and read while here.

I'm ordering one off of Amazon - if I cannot grasp what they're discussing I'm going to have to find time for a DVD.

Thanks for the forum link, I'll adventure over there when I get my pup in a couple weeks!

13. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used water dog with my lab. The key is you really have to work with them every day like it's your job.

14. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've trained 4 hunting dogs. Best bet is to get a book or DVD. I will add. It can be another full time job. The biggest part in training a dog for hunting is figuring out if he will be gun shy or not. Some can be broken, some can't. It's best to be very noisy around the dog when he is a puppy making loud bangs and so forth. A cap gun used while eating helps a lot.

Here is my current work of art. He was 4 months old in this picture. He retrieved half of these birds all water retrieves to.
    [​IMG]

15. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm bumping this thread back up instead of creating a new one... I have a question as I'm pretty ignorant in the field of dog training. I currently have a 6 y/o German Wirehaired Pointer that already does pretty well in the field but he already had some training and the rest was instinctual. I'm looking into getting a second wirehaired pointer here in the next couple weeks from the same place, which is a national rescue organization, and it will likely be one in the 2-3 y/o range as puppies are rare to come by in the rescue setting for this breed. Are there many differences in the approach you would take to train a dog that's a little older than what you would do with a puppy? I haven't read any books yet but I assume that most of them start out with working with them as a puppy. Any advice/guidance is welcome and I'll probably get a book or two to read prior to adopting.