ALS Ice Challenge...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by PinkPony, Aug 20, 2014.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure how many of you are on Facebook, but this is the new thing going around. You either donate $100 to the ALS foundation or you dump a bucket of ice water on yourself and donate $10. It has raised millions (Great!). However, isn't it sad that they have to start something like this to raise awareness? I donate money to the different things that are at the stores around here and once a year to Hunt of a Lifetime. But I just feel it almost pityful that something like this has to come about to get money donated. Will more research actually be done since they are so over their nomal donations?

I'm not saying I'm not greatful for donations - I think that is awesome. I'm sure I'll get nominated to do it before it is all said and done, and I will. But, why does it take something like this to get something great out of people? Or why does it take a challenge on an online social network to make something like this heard?

If you want a laugh, there are some good fail Ice Challenge videos out!

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I donated a 100 and still did it.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got nominated and ended up filling our old "Hot tub" up with Ice cold water and dumping a bucket on my head!

I won't lie, I didn't want to do it at first but my Mom and girlfriend talked me into it, Mom also donated money!

and as the OP question goes, Unfortunately social media may be the best way to get the word out these days and really make others aware. I have been enjoying all the celebrities who are taking the challenge and donating money. Most of the other celebrities just do the bucket challenge and name 3 people without even mentioning ALS!

I had zero clue about ALS until the Ice Bucket Challenge

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  4. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Feel free to post your videos here.

I am not against it, I just feel bad that it took something like this to get people to really donate. Even if every person only donated a dollar, that's still a lot of money!

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I did it. Almost challenged Zarr and Fitz, too:)

While some may do it for narcissistic reasons, it's a good cause. By the way you are supposed to donate even if you do it. I can't believe people aren't even donating.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My Fire Department is doing it tonight.

7. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always like to see the breakdown on how my donation is being used before I donate. With the ALS Challenge 46% 0f the money is actually going to research and patient needs which is' terrible but it should be higher. The other stats are a little misleading on where the money is going it looks like only 7% for administration but I'll guarantee there is salaries buried in the Public and professional, fundraising categories.

I'm not against donating but I normally like to see at least 60% for the patient and R&D area. My charity of choice is Breast cancer and leukemia. Last year with my step mother passing from breast cancer and my sister being diagnosed with it make it close to me.

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  8. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see how there could be anything sad about a successful marketing campaign which raises more money/awareness for a good cause?

There are many other charities which could also use more money and the typical person cannot afford to donate to all of them.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  10. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I see it as sad because it took a challenge to get donations rolling in so highly. It is a successful campaign, no doubt. Which is why I am fine with it, it is bringing awareness, too. But what about other charities (What if any charity could be used)? Will they all have to do a challenge to bring in donations and boost awareness? It shouldn't have to be that way.

11. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've done it twice. Actually just did it for the 2nd and last time about an hour ago. I donated and all that as its for a great cause. The sad thing is that to many people are going about it the wrong way and saying do the challenge OR donate. Which defeats the purpose. I also feel that this thing has run its course and I'm tired of seeing and hearing about it.

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I would rather see my feed inundated with ALS challenges than most of the narcissistic, non factual news propaganda, and "what I did today" crap posts that Facebook has become. The fact that it's all over everyone's news feed is the whole "awareness" aspect.

As someone with a rare condition (albeit not as serious as ALS), I can appreciate people with the disease feeling frustrated with the lack of awareness and treatment options.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

13. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess ill go against the grain and say I'm growing tired of it. It was neat at first, but enough already. I've never seen so many people dump water on their head to avoid donating to charity haha. I tend to agree with Charlie sheens take on it (YouTube his ALS challenge if you haven't seen it).

That said, the back story shown on ESPN over the guy that started it all is super awesome and it is for a great cause so no beef. Just tired of seeing a newsfeed full of people I know didn't donate dumping water on their head to fit in.

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

~Bill

15. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, my ole buddy Hutch called me out. I'm just gonna donate a $100 Friday....lol. I HATE cold water...lol. It goes to a good cause. One thing is for sure, I'll remember it Hutch....lol. :p

16. ken3

ken3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  17. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You have to realize though that every person cannot possibly donate to all the causes out there. The ALS challenge is a great way to educate people who knew nothing of it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree. I realize that. But what if everyone had their own thing to donate to...wouldn't that be a lot more.

I got nominated tonight. I'll post one tomorrow, and donate money.

19. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I'm with you there. I'm sure there are plenty of people participating that have never donated to any charity before, which is great.

This is actually nothing new, we did something similar this past spring called the cold water challenge for cancer research.I tried uploading the video but got an error. I'll try again from PC tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One of my boys in my Youth group nominated me. And then another one did it to my wife. I got a bucket for the both of us (she has medical problems and can't warm up)