"Famous" People in public. Approach or leave be?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Aug 18, 2014.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Curious to hear how everyone would approach this.

I've never met or seen a famous actor/singer up close, but I have now seen two professional athletes in the last few years. First was a few years back when my wife and I were leaving a Pittsburgh bar and saw Jerome Bettis. My wife and I are Steeler's fans, and she wanted to meet him. I walked up to him, shook his hand, and said we were both big fans and that I hated to trouble him, but my wife wanted a photo. He was really nice about it and obliged (still have that photo hanging at work).

Now fast forward to yesterday. In case you don't know, the Little League Series is going on right now. I live just outside of Williamsport (like a few miles). My wife is a pharmacist at the Wegman's in Williamsport. We see all kinds of people during these two weeks, especially at Wegman's. I've seen Karl Ravech a few times, Orel Hershiser, and sat right behind the analyst booth a few feet behind Francona a few years back when a local team from up the road made it. Never really think much of it. However, yesterday we were in Wegman's getting some odds and ends and I saw Nomar Garciaparra. Quite a few times actually. I got a few feet from him, but never said a word. I'm a huge Red Sox fan, and grew up watching him play (he and Ripken were my idols as I played shortshop as well).

My wife thinks I'm nuts, but he was actually shopping (looked pretty lost in all honesty, lol), and I just feel like there's a time and place, and I didn't really want to bother him.

So have you/would you approach someone in this situation or do you respect their personal space?

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think a simple hello, with a hand shake there would sufice. They would probably prefer not to have a huge draw, with cameras and such.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would treat them just like anyone else, say hello and move on.....

4. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think a simple hello and handshake would suffice. If they are really friendly, maybe an autograph and selfie too :) one place I wouldn't ever approach them is at a restaurant. To me that is my private time where I can chill and enjoy the food. I wouldn't want people bugging me. Heck, sometimes the waitstaff bug me if they come check on me too often.

5. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Start with the hello and handshake then read his body language and proceed from there.

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Im a fan of just saying hello, acknowledge that you know who he is (ie...hi Nomar), and then going on with your business. Show him that your respecting his privacy and so on. Who knows, he might be impressed and invite you for a beer ;)

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw grandpa Jones(might be before some of the people here time) in a restaurant when I was a kid and he was being hounded by people wanting autographs and such. My mother told me to look at how those people were being disrespectful and that he couldn't even enjoy his meal.

That has always stuck in my mind and I would never approach, unless the situation dictated it. I would treat them the same as anyone else.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If he looked lost, help him out :tu:

9. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First off I gotta tackle my girlfriend and settle her down, after that I gotta tell her not to take pictures, then not to stare lol. Its really not a big deal for me I could careless.

We were eating at a Japanese steak house a couple months back the ones were you get seated with random people. Turns out Torrey Smith an his family were across from us. It was cool an all but I just leave them alone I feel like they get bothered enough.

10. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I've never been the type that really cared about the stars . I've been in the same grocery store as Garth Brooks a few times but never felt the need to approach him .

I did travel back to Oklahoma 10 years ago and the kids wanted to see his house .... so I caved in , even took their pic in front of it . Did explain to them that he is human just like us and that he probably appreciates his privacy .

11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Im more of a hello and move on kinda dude :D

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on who it is. For the most part I could not care less about someone's "star" status. There may be a few people that I would try to go out of my way to say hello and meet them. I was honored to meet Grant Woods back in Feb of this year but he was at our place to be met, lol. No others really come to mind. I've met a few "famous" people over the years but most were at an event for that purpose. I don't recall ever running into one just out and about. I've met and know a lot of multimillionaires but none are really "stars".

13. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It depends really. If the guy is alone, I may walk up to him but if hes mobbed, I would probably walk up to him/her if he/she is in a good mood.

14. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would leave them alone. I don't really care about meeting famous people and they more than likely want to be left alone anyhow.

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Or record and and sell it to TMZ....then with earning go hunting...no? (I really wouldn't do this)

16. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd handle it about the same way. Simple hi and tell them I liked their work.

17. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A wink and a nod would be suffice from me... just an acknowledgement to knowing them and respecting their privacy. However... if Nomar G looked 'lost'... I'd ask if he could use some help - hey... he's human.

BTW... I asked the wife if she'd like to drive down to attend a game this week - but she'd rather watch 'em on TV.

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You should've thanked him for wasting Cubs fans' time when he came to Chicago. :busted:

I'm with Caleb though - I'm a hello and move on kind of guy. Never been one to ogle over a celebrity. They're people, same as we are, and they do enjoy whatever semblance of a normal life they can get.

19. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Time and place is everything. Like mentioned above, if they are in a restaurant eating then they deserve to be left alone. I actually saw a certain national political radio talkshow host (not rush) eating at a restaurant here where some jack wad started making a scene. While I disagree on about everything this radio show host says, he does have the right to eat a meal in peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the "famous" people I've seen was only because that's what they were there to do, meet people. Think it would haveta depend on situation but I'm not sure if I could just walk up to somebody. Probably just say hi and move on.

Only time actually got to mingle with anybody famous was when I was I Paris for the military. Spike Lee was in town and the hotel that's right next to the US embassy over there is where all the stars stay. His assistant called and wanted to know if there was anywhere in town to watch the playoff series between Yankees and Red Sox back in 04-05. There really isn't by the time the game woulda been on because everything woulda been closed so we, arranged it so he could come over to our house and watch the game. Spike and his assistant actually showed up and me and 3 or 4 other guys sat in one of our "movie" rooms in the house and watched the game. He was actually pretty cool dude and sat around and bs'd with us and talked sports. After it was all over he took couple pics, signed some stuff and left.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk