What is that awful smell?!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hillbilly Jedi, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My wife missed a bag of groceries Saturday when she unloaded her car. Sunday morning we woke up for a family day trip and opened the doors. Note: it didn't get cooler than about 80 degrees in the garage that night. Chicken wings and bacon. I was horrible! And to waste chicken wings and bacon of all things! I can't even open my house windows until the trash goes out on Wednesday. I'm sure my neighbors and thrilled too!

2. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I once left about a half pound of bait shrimp on my buddies truck after a fishing trip. Took about three days for the smell to get strong enough for him to smell when walking by it. The. It took about three weeks for the smell to finally leave for good. Got to watch what you leave in there. Especially this time of year.

3. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I once left shrimp out a couple days on purpose then deep fried them.
    They don't smell after that and people stop stealing your lunch.

4. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's grounds for divorce.

Not the smell, wasting chicken wings and bacon.

Almost unforgivable. :throw:

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Dang that is awesome! I bet that really worked well!

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a very low opinion of a dirty basteg that would steal a man's lunch.
    Hell I'm the type that is share with you if you forgot yours.
    That was just one of my many tricks to keep people out of my lunch box.

7. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man that just sucks. My wife and I have done that a number of times. My most recent was a concoction of chicken drums I let sit out in the sun for three days in poage oil. We were headed to Top sail Island to do some crabbing. Umm the lid somehow came off in the back of the suburban on the way to the beach. We ended up stopping and throwing away the sacrificial carpet mat in the back. It was gnarly bad!

8. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I recently forgot some leftover Chinese food in the back seat of my truck. After day 1, I smelled something strange... day 2 it was worse, but I still had not clue what was causing it and didn't look for the source... day 3, I actually started searching and found the sack... it took a week for the stench to air itself out!!!

9. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome. Bet whoever at that had a stomach issues.

10. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He just puked a bit, now the guy that ate the exlax burger....he had a couple days off.

11. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad this never happened to me. Has to be a pretty good smell

12. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: That's funny!!! Old Chinese food, dang. That had to be pretty bad. I actually have a buddy that literally has almost no sense of smell. Considering where we work, it's definitely a bonus quite often.

13. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    it was pretty rank... I suspect the MSG enhanced it somewhat is the only thing I can figure...

14. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My husband and I were gone for several days and when we came home, the house smelled kind of weird. Not really rank... it was a strange, somewhat sweet smell.

Our home was a farmhouse that was built in 1882 that had been rehabbed..... sort of. So we figured something maybe died in the basement or crawl space. (Basement was definitely from 1882)

So went into the basement. The smell was worse but not overwhelming. We looked around with flashlights and found nothing.

The next day the smell was worse but you still didn't really notice it until you went outside and came back in.

Every time the A/C came on the smell was worse. By the third day we headed back into the basement. With trepidation, I walked over to our chest freezer. (Barely a year old) The compressor was running and there was a freezer alarm on it so I hadn't suspected it.

I cracked it open and...... yeah.... it was bad. That wasn't sweet smelling anymore.

We put it on a hand truck and dragged it out and dumped it at the edge of of corn field. It was storming out and between the rain and the coyotes, it was almost tolerable to deal with the next morning.

That freezer was full of wild Alaska salmon, halibut and at least one deer. :(

Apparently the freezer alarm went off while we were gone and the battery was dead by time we got home.

Most everything was vacuum sealed so I guess that's why it smelled weird and not just rsnk.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The same thing happened here at our office with a freezer 2/3 full of deer meat. It broke and was blowing hot air for an undetermined amount of time before someone finally smelled it. Without question it was the most horrid smelling thing I've ever had the displeasure of smelling. Todd and I had to put on elbow-length rubber gloves and double-bag all of the rotten meat and heads to get them out. At one point Todd dropped a pack of meat into a bag I was holding and rotten blood splashed up on his face, causing him to dry heave for a few minutes. I found it pretty hilarious actually.

Once we got all of the solids removed we dumped the liquids into the parking lot and attempted to wash them down the sewer with a garden hose. It ended up foaming up horribly bad and causing a rotten stench outside the office for a couple days.

The best part was when one of the neighbors walked out of their office door to see us using a sawzall to skull cap a rotten deer head. :lol:

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  17. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I worked for the city in the summers between college, where I changed 50 gallon trash bags out in parks around the city. One day I lifted a bag and was hit with a smell that immediately made me vomit. Someone had taken the bag off, put in their dead burned fighting dog, and put the bag back on. We changed bags only once a week and it was probably festering in the July heat for five/six days. Worst smell ever. And I work in a hospital with C diff patients. That's a close # 2.

18. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get an Ozonics :lol:
    Anyway I've heard they stop odor :throw: