Half marathon training update

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LittleChief, Aug 7, 2014.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Here's an update for those of you who donated to sponsor me and for anyone else who cares.

I just finished my third 3 mile run this week and I'm sitting here with ice packs on my right ankle. The actual training program started Monday.

The program has me running 4 times a week - Mon., Wed., Thur., and a long run on Sat. This is the first time in my life I've run two days In a row.

This week was three 3 mile runs and a 4 miler on Sat. I've ran farther but as you know I paid for doing it too soon. This time I stick to the plan.

My ankle is quite a bit better but it still gets a little sore when I run, so I'll keep icing it and wrapping it as a precaution, but there will be no more stopping.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LittleChief
    Hang in there but don't hurt yourself. If you make it past five the rest is down hill if you pace yourself. Good luck.

3. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When is the said half marathon?

4. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep hammering! When I did mine two years ago it was one of the biggest rewarding things I've ever done. Good luck.

5. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is why you're my hero, Johnny! Good luck brother, and keep us posted on the progress. It's inspiring!!

6. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    It's Saturday, December 6th during the St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend. I have a lot of time. I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate this training schedule into deer season. That's a head-scratcher for me.

7. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ughh I feel your pain man. After retiring from the Army back in 2011 I've decided to get off my butt and start running. I've been on a program for a month now, and it just sucks. I didn't do any PT for over 3 years and gained 63lbs, so trust me I feel your pain. Hey probably more than you know:sheep:

8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, maybe so. When I decided to do this it had been 10 years since I'd ran regularly. The transition from no PT to running four times a week is tough if you don't do it correctly. I learned that the hard way the past month or so.