Ebay etiquette

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tacklebox, Aug 6, 2014.

1. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Drives me crazy when someone either is...

A. Slow to ship
    B. Slow to pay
    C. Doesn't mark item as shipped or provide tracking

I mean you are there to complete a transaction one way or another. Why not do it right?!?!

Granted none of these really happen all that often, but for some reason I've seen em all this week at least once.

Rant over, carry on..

2. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    agreed. also the ones who wont leave you feedback. when you are building up, feedback is everything.

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Feedback is the key.

4. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    ya feedback also

5. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Used them before, haven't used them or PayPal since they have been known to be so staunchly anti-gun.

6. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Its cool cause I just burned my Muck boots.... SMH

7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Think I saw pit bull puppies on there too ha.

I agree though, it get to be a pain sometimes. I've had decent luck most of time but it is annoying when can't get anything out of person selling.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

8. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    E-bay can drive you nuts at times but it is a good way to advertise and sell your crap. Being based in California they tend to follow liberal laws which can piss me off at times, like you can't sell bear parts but I make good money on there so whatcha gona do

9. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's cool man, There are other reason I don't use them. Like all the damn Chinese knock offs.
    And the sellers that have 2 accounts so they bid on their own crap to drive up the auction.

End of the day though I just hold my beliefs stronger than profit or convenience.

10. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everything but the tracking # . A tracking # does nothing to speed up shipping and I sell a lot of cheaper items so rarely do I spend the extra $ for a tracking # .

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree TJ. What drives me crazy is they have the nerve to say to give them positive Feedback. WTF? I am waiting on package now that was scheduled to be delivered earlier this week. No update or email from the Shipper. Even ebay wants us to "Contact the Shipper" before we negatively rate someone so they can fix the problem. SORRY1 NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! How can you fix me having to wait an additional 3-4 days to receive my package?

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What a Tracking Number does is allow the customer to see where the package is in transit and if it has attempted to be delivered. It doesn't matter if they paid $5 for it. It is money they spent and paid you. what you sold them may NOT be significant to you, but they thought enough of it to spend their money on it. At least ask up front if they would like a Tracking Number. This way it avoids any controversy.

13. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, if I paid for priority shipping then a tracking number should be provided. Plain and simple. I PAID FOR IT!
    One of my items was due for delivery yesterday, finally got a response from the seller last night and it hasn't even shipped yet. Glad I paid that priority shipping. Sheesh

14. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    A tracking number absolutely speeds up shipping, if I pay for priority / expedited shipping (which will have a tracking number) and you ship standard to save yourself $2 that I paid you then you are ripping me off.

15. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    So don't buy the chinese crap, thats not hard...

Don't hurt your arm dude......

16. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Not to mention that unless you have met all the minimum criteria as a seller, purchasing your postage via Ebay or Paypal, or at least adding tracking info, greatly reduces the amount of time it takes to recieve the proceeds from the sale. So, as a seller, why wouldn't you?

17. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

If I charge for priority shipping , then I will ship priority and upload a tracking # . I work 6 blocks from home and the post office is between work and home so I ship daily , sometimes 2-3 times a day . Don't guess I understand how a tracking # speeds up shipping when most everything I ship shows up at the buyers house the day before it's due to arrive .

Most of what I sell is hand crafted fishing lures . They don't sell for a ton of money and I ship them for $2 so if I had to add the cost of a tracking # it could affect sells ...... I'll just have to live with never being a top rated seller :)

18. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    That is the point, Priority comes with a tracking number, priority is faster than standard, therefore tracking # = faster shipping.

19. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. If I was asked, I would pay extra for sending my item(s) with the tracking number. I like seeing where it's at and when I can expect it. NAP sent me an e-mail on Monday saying my item shipped with USPS. Check the tracking number to see went it will arrive. Well USPS doesn't scan everything like UPS does at every switching point so what good does the tracking number do? Pointless! If you're a seller on eBay, please ask if the customer would like a tracking number and if it costs them extra for the shipping, I bet most will pay it but at least let them choose. I know I would. Especially if we need something close to the start of a season!

20. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO yes they do! If it has a bar code (ie. priority, next day, anything with a tracking # etc) They most certainly scan it at every location it passes through.

Additionally, not sure how much you ebay, but most often the seller chooses shipping unless otherwise arranged prior to the sale with the buyer... so if the seller doesn't wish to actually ship with a tracking number they can certainly sell it with a shipping option that is less tracking, unless the buyer requests otherwise.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014