Truck Guys

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by b_walte15, Jul 30, 2014.

1. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im looking to get some new all-terrain tires for my truck. Does anybody have any experience with BFG All-Terrains or Nitto Trail Grapplers? I am really looking to get an aggressive AT tire but am not sure which way to go..

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have used BFG TA/KOs in the past.
    Amazon.com: BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO Off-Road Tire - 275/70R18 125R: Automotive
    They're very good all-around tires. Check the Amazon reviews. Honestly, the Amazon price is really good.

That being said, if I had to pick an AT w/o price being a concern, I'd get Goodyear Duratracs. They're more aggressive than your average AT, but still pretty well mannered on asphalt. I had then on a Jeep Wrangler and they were w/o a doubt the best performing all-terrain tire I've ever used, and a lot of the guys on 4x4 forums agree. They're awesome in everything from snow (they are actually S rated) to mud and rocks.

Grapplers also have a very good reputation, but I've never used them so I can't really compare.

3. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Goodyear wrangler mtr

4. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I Just put 295 50 R20s Nitto trail grapplers on my Dodge Ram. Took em down into the swamp at the farm, they did great! You're gonna look at about 375.00$ per tire though.

5. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nitro trail grapplers are what I put on my dodge this spring. They are a great all around tire. They will get you out of sticky situation with ease, an they are pretty quite on the road!

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I second the Duratracs! Had them on my CJ and have them on our truck. I love them and have gotten the same response from everyone I know that has them.

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've run a lot of tires (offroading was my main hobby in college), and my Duratracs I have right now are by far my favorite. Perfect balance of of aggression and tread life. Perform excellent in all conditions.

BFG's are tried and true, however, and wear like iron. General Grabber AT/2s are generally better liked at a lower pricepoint, however.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

8. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my DuraTracs. Haven't gotten stuck yet, and they are wearing great. I wouldn't be opposed to buying them again

9. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man amazon is taking over the world. Anyone else own a 2012 Tacoma and upgraded the size of their tires? I want to do mine without a lift

Also I've used bfg at. They were good. Remember that certain tires will put out more noise. I think mud terrain tires are notorious for being loud

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't own a 2012, but an 05. 265/75/16s or 265/70/17s are about as big as you want to go with no lift and no rubbing.

11. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How much bigger in inches are those from stock? I hate how they come in those sets of numbers. I see that it's 17" wheels but that's the only difference I see

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not happy with my BFG All-Terrains, I get regular balance and rotations and a yearly alignment but they still wore uneven. It could have been a batch of lemons but then again I never seem to have luck with tires. Even though I have about 30% of tread left, I am considering new tires before the winter.

13. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    By Dad and Brother both have the Terra Grapplers from Nitto and they love them...Other than that BFG's rain supreme around here but that mostly so the young punks can go around saying check out my BFG's lol.....

14. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've owned General Grabber AT2's, and now two sets of BFG AT TA's. I love the BFG's and will buy them again next time. They do wear like iron, they look great, and I'm yet to get stuck with them. I have about 20k miles on my current set and they look brand new. I change my oil every 5k miles and rotate the tires every change. So far no worries and they are wearing much better then my General's did.

15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    They're both basically 31.5/10.5's (31.5" tall/10.5" wide). Basically, the same width, but an inch taller than stock.

16. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I had nittos it seemed as they would like to pick up every rock on the road and throw them into the truck creating a lot of rock chips. Had duratracs good tire but didnt seem to clean mud off, but still a good tire. Had kuhmo MT and was really impressed with these tires, good wear and could get you out of anything, priced really good to. Just ordered a set of kuhmo AT to try out on the new truck, really good price also. Really dont do a lot of off roading so dont have a need for MT really.

17. wrkdvr

wrkdvr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Duratracs are good and do well with a lot of pavement use. Nittos are awesome but a bit pricier. Nitto Terra or Crosstec would give you longer life on hardball. Also, Nittos run a little taller and wider than AT and Duras.

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've shoed my 2500 HD with the BFG ATs. I don't consider them aggressive, but good hwy/offroad compromise tires. They hold up good. I can't remember if I'm on my second or third set but I have 200,000 miles on the truck so either way they've done well. Not too noisy on the highway which was important to me.

I'll go through a lot more tires out here. Lots of sharp rocks.

19. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought some toyo open countrys. Very meaty tires. They also come with a 60k mile warranty.

20. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    really? Noise was my biggest complaint on the BFGs I had...sounded like a zipper running down the road. But they were on a S10 ZR2, so maybe when they're on a lighter vehicle they're louder. Of course, that was also 15 years ago so they may be made quieter now.