Ordering tires online?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Slugger, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Need to get a new set of tires from my truck and have been checking out tirerack.com, any experience buying tires online?

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ordered some from National tire and wheel awhile back and had pretty good luck with them. Called and made order and they were easy to work with and shipped pretty fast. Haven't looked at their site for a while but they used to have pretty decent deals.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

3. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ive ordered a lot of tires from tirerack.com great place to buy tires. check out discounttire.com too. sometimes they run about the same price but will offer free shipping.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    if you have a Discount Tire near you, check them and their online store out. Sometimes the storefronts will match the online price, other times they will install/warranty them for dirt cheap after they're shipped to you or direct to the store front. Plus they rotate/balance for free; and honestly they will sometimes do a lot of other things for free as well, such as replace TPMS valves or patch even w/o the warranty. If you do buy a warranty (and I recommend you do- it's really more of an insurance policy) they may even apply some services to your other vehicles that they didn't even equip.

I'm not sure if they are franchised or corporate, but I've never run into a bad DT location and I've probably been to at least 5 in 2 different states. I've spent thousands of dollars on jeep and off road truck tires over the past decade, and never regretted or felt ripped off by DT. Probably 90% of the folks on offroad forums would highly recommend DT. Really good prices; fantastic service.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  5. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use tire rack all the time and LOVE IT! they also have good customer service and work very well through warranty returns and road hazard coverage claims. A+

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've ordered 4 sets from discount tire direct. Two were wheel/tire combos. I'd do it again.

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I do also hear good things on the forums about tire rack. Just no personal experience with them.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've ordered several sets from both discount tires direct and tirerack. All easy and great experiences. I don't buy local.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

9. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So when you guys order them online...you then take them to a tire shop and have them installed I assume, how much are they charging?

10. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    THIS. And what about rotations? The local tire place I buy tires from does free rotations if you bought the tires there....15 bucks a trip if you didn't. That would add up fast if you rotated your tires properly. Heck even wal mart does free rotation if you bought the tires there. Between rotation and the install how much if any are you guys saving?

11. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cost me less then 75 bucks to have local tire shop put new tire on rims and I rotate them myself. Honestly only, bought tires once or twice online but when you spending 350 or higher for one tire and used to be able to catch the site I listed have a buy three get four you really don't save much online. But it was easiest place to get 40" tires.

Actually may of been way less than that to put them on rims, tire shop was pretty cheap. Which might explain why they aren't around anymore ha

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    that's why I said either order from discount tire direct (online site) or from a Discount Tire store. Shipping is free, and the storefronts will usually install for free if you buy a warranty from them, which is only like $100/tire and 100% worth it (I usually buy 2 warranties per set of 5; as my tires usually run bout $400/tire.) So if I blow one tire beyond repair, I am still $200 bucks up. And I off-road a lot so I'm always running that risk- plus as an added bonus you get free siping, patching, and rotations. You really cannot beat it.

13. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seems the way to go is discount tire or tire rack. Thanks for the input

14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I take them to a small local shop and have them installed for $10/piece. I rotate my own tires so that's not an issue after that.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

15. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try also tirecrawler.com

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'll also throw in a vote for Discount Tire. I've ordered from them in the past and plan on ordering a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers sometime before this fall. As others have said their local stores will generally match pricing if you ask, or install for free if you bring the tires to them. I've been very happy with their service.

17. nchunter

nchunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just purchased new 295 65 18 goodyear duratracs. They were failry expsenive at over 300 per tire. I ordered through discount tire and not discount tire direct, since they were $17.00 per tire cheaper. I would have also tried Tread Depot but they were out of stock. I was offered the replacement certificates for 190.00. I politely declined and the manager asked if I would take it for $75.00, which I did. I wasnt aware it was negotiable but it is. I would highly recommend discount tire/america's tire/discount tire direct or give tread depot a shot.

18. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up finding a deal on Ebay. Nitto trail grapplers on XD monster rims. 275-70-18. Thanks guys for the input.

19. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I go to discount tire. The charge to order and being to a shop seems to even out for me. Plus free rotations for the life of the tire. And they usually can have them next day if they don't have in stock.

20. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same thing. Certain online places will even deliver them to the shop I use.