Computer guys

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by jrk_indle84, Jul 29, 2014.

1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking go get a new computer but have no idea. The last one I had was close to 6 or 7 years ago. I'm leaning more toward a laptop and don't really need all the bells and whistles. The main purpose of computer will be to sometimes browse the Internet but mainly be used to check trail cam cards and mess around with video editing.

I've tried looking around and getting ideas but buying a computer and knowing what to get is something have no idea on. Don't have much of a budget but guess anywhere from 500-1000.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

2. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Samsung tablet, 2014 note can do all stuff you want.

3. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Video editing can range from cheap 500 or 4000. Kind of depends on how much you want to do, and how much you're willing to put up with

4. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    You talking the software? I've seen a few of them that get up there in price.

5. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    No hardware. I bought my computer half off another guy. It was about 4300 for that guy. Water cooled, ram, video card, processor, SSD HDD, just little things that are at the cutting edge of technology to give you that extra oomph. I'm guessing you're doing simple video editing. 1000 is what you should be looking for.

As for software, a secret is to find a student at a school, not sure if it's true for all schools, but my engineering school has drastically reduced software prices for really everything popular sold. And have them buy it for you. Or just get an older version, but who wants that? There are also online freeware or cheap cost ones, but it gets annoying when they lag. I'm guessing it's not because of my computer, but because of my internet

6. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha, yea that's more of what I was, getting at. I've read other places that the processor, video card, ram, and stuff like that is what make the editing part go more smooth. Just now getting into all this and haven't had a need to keep up with all the newer computer stuff that's been coming out.

Thanks for info.

7. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure how set you are on a laptop but you can always look into having someone build you a desk top computer. My brother just had it done so he can store and edit videos and pictures. It is pretty sweet and he got it all done for under $1000

There are computer shops everywhere and I am sure there are good deals to be had.

8. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Desktopx > Laptops. You save probably 30-40% in the same specs. You should really weigh if you need a laptop or not. I needed one for my both my deployments which is why I bought it, but, I think more people like the idea of the convenience than actually needing it. Don't know what you're using it for in all, but, id get a desktop and a tablet. Id totally get a tablet if I needed one, which again, I don't because my phone does everything.

9. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    In all reality the only reason for a laptop is because it's more portable but other than that not much else. But honestly the only plus to that is I'd be able to take along out in the field.

Sounds like need look more into desktops maybe lol. Thanks again guys.

10. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    So do you guys suggest goin somewhere and having one built or trying to find one all ready to go

11. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say build it yourself. I hadn't built one in years. Actually I'd only seen it built. But I probably know more than most, I you tubed everything and got it going. I did this several more times. Like doctors, don't know if many of you know this, but sometimes most likely the er doctors simply you tube things they kind of remember how to do. True story

Really its like legos, you put it where it fits. You just have to make sure you have compatibility among all of it. That's something where you find someone computer specs, copy it and tweak it to make it your own

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  12. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    You don't have any friends who know how? You can do cyberpowerpc. I've heard good and bad. Like real good prices, but some people getting screwed.

Craigslist is great, but it's always great to have someone who knows about computers with you. You won't necessarily be able to sense a lemon, but, you kind of will. Also you know how when people get really into their hobbies they can spout off specs stats and all these numbers you don't give a **** about? If you find a guy selling a computer that talks like that you're usually in good hands. If a part is broken too, as long as it's not the motherboard, it's relatively easy to swap out

13. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Ha Most of my friends are lucky to figure out a smart phone. We're all dumb farm kids around here. Actually they usually ask me about this stuff which isn't saying alot.

14. Shaun Frazier

Shaun Frazier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The cheapest and easiest solution to fit your needs is to purchase an Apple computer. Two main reasons are that it will provide you with the software you need for lite video editing and training for free. Additionally, you can add Windows to an Apple computer which will enable you to trial other software offerings for video editing. I would start by visiting an Apple store and speaking with a technician. I think you'll be pleasantly surprise with their library of video applications and support for novice users.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

15. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    My opinion, apple is the most expensive option and also out of your price point. Most video editing software you can get for cheap through students freeware or online.

Apple is quality I'll give you that. But you pay an additional 10 or 20% for the name. Most likely, it's also a laptop which means you're paying extra over a desktop. Parts aren't interchangeable as much as pc either since we'll it's a laptop.

Also you can double boot with mac operating system on windows just like you can with apple.

However, the extra money you pay will may be worth the hassle of having to figure out things with windows. Just depends on the learning curve you want to deal with and how much more you want to pay for apple. If you can youtube, deal with frustrating stress, and want to save money I'd say pc.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  16. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea it's not so much don't know operate computer it's just the guts of them idk what to look for really. Not something haveta keep up on and that's one thing you do need to keep up on if your gonna use it since technology changes so quick anymore.

I kinda feel that way about apple too as far as just paying more for name. The prices I listed aren't exactly set in stone just figured that'd give a starting point but seems like they may be low for what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the ideas though, may go in tomorrow and talk with local place. Just trying to get ideas before actually did that.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hear that Apple is great. However, I have always been a Windows guy. I went on Tiger Direct when I was looking for a new PC. I ended up get a desktop. Tons of more options and you can get a killer LCD monitor for little of nothing now. Drop by a local Best Buy and check some out. Find one you like and then shop around for the best deal.

18. Pete

Pete Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Think about this, with a laptop your pretty much locked into the processor and video built into it, and you can't really upgrade it without buying another. With a desktop build, you can pick and choose what components you want to use, and gear it toward video editing. Although this can get pricey, the desktop you get with the budget your working with will easily be 3 to 4 times the computer that the laptop would be for the same price.

The actual buiding is pretty straightforward. all the connectors are keyed so you cant plug them in backwards, and the only tools you will need are a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Pete

19. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yes barebones pc. Tiger direct and Newegg are reputable. They basically put together things you can do yourself. Seems like a huge hurdle, but really if you're from the farm and you can piece together stuff and figure things out like I know you guys can. You'll be fine. I'd help you out but I'm in the middle of Missouri and I'm pretty sure you're nowhere near me.

Just like here join up with a "video editing forum" just like people ask "what's the best setup for my bow" there will be people saying "what's the best setup for $xx for video editing" I know because I joined up with a gaming forum and got specs and help.

Don't ever game. I quit, I swear it's like crack. Been off and on for years. I don't even do console or phone because then I want more and better. That water cooled computer worth 4k retail today? Streams Netflix and does simple word PowerPoint excel and slight photo editing. Overkill