Do you let other people shoot your bow?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by patmcm129, Jul 24, 2014.

1. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've done it, but it makes me nervous as hell when I have a friend who wants to try to shoot my bow. Curious as to what others do.

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I let my friends that shoot, shoot my bow. No strangers or starters. Actually, most people who have never shot couldn't even draw it back.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have let others shoot my bow and I've learned that its all about how much you love your own bow in the end. I let my Marine cousin shoot my bow thinking he would have some common sense but, he grabbed the string with his hand instead of using a release and dry fired the hell out of my bow, lets just say he didn't shoot again. If I have a newbie try and shoot my bow I will instruct them as much as possible and then I just pray they can't pull it back and they give up lol

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A very select few have shot my bow. Only people that I know are seasoned shooters.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will if they are experienced archers, newbs...no, they couldn't draw a 75# bow anyway.

6. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We bought my bow used, so I have no idea who might have shot it before. But I would never let anyone else use it, except for my daughters. They're not big enough yet, and by the time they are, will probably have hunting bows of their own. Miriam, six, has her own children's bow and Michelle, four, will get hers for her birthday next year. So they'll move up as time goes on.

7. heavyhitter86

heavyhitter86 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have learned my lesson with letting others shoot my bow. I had a friend that shoots try out my new bow cuz he has an older 90's bow and he shot three arrows way off target and lost all three. Another time my brother wanted to shoot my bow and he doesn't shoot at all and just like I had thought he drew back without the release to see if he could draw it and semi dry fired it. Again lesson learned.

8. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not long after I got my first bowtech equalizer my friend wanted to draw it. I warned him that it had a much harder cam than anything he had shot before. With a bit of bravado, he drew it back with the tips of his fingers (finger shooter), right before he let down, I again warned him about the hard cam.... he started to let down and BAM.... the string ripped free. :(

A bit later I told my husband about our friend dry firing my bow.... And he does the EXACT SAME THING.

I was cringing both times but apparently those men - folk just thought my cringing was cute. >:(

Now, I try not to let people draw my bows unless there is an arrow on the string.

'Cept for my Oneida bowfishing bow. I let people draw that all the time. It's fairly bullet proof.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends who it is. There are people I will let.

10. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    nope.

Not my main bow, if they want to take a shot I have stick bows they can play with.

11. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I think they can draw the bow back then I encourage possibly getting someone into bow hunting. But I make damn sure they follow specific instructions. It still makes me nervous as hell

12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't let someone shoot my bow these days unless they have been shooting for a while and know what a dry fire is. If it's a newbie then I'd find a kids bow for them to shoot first LOL at least until they've shot a few arrows and understand how to hold the bow and for that matter how to hold the string, draw it and then let it down.

13. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha this reminds me of the GTG this year Raceway had 84# bow and Ferg tried to pull it back.
    [​IMG]
    Then Chase and I went up and pulled it like it was nothing :lol:

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No, there's no reason for it. Anyone can go to a bow shop and shoot a bow of their choice. This is my bow. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

15. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope. I wouldn't even let the guy at the bow shop shoot it that set up my bow.

16. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My husband tried shooting my bow once. He is larger than I so it was WAY too small. He somehow managed to accidently fire before having it on the target and just about shot his truck.

Made for a good laugh and now I have it to myself ;)

17. Jmcarlson6641

Jmcarlson6641 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do allow others to shoot my bow....but my stomach turns everytime I do unless its someone that knows what they are doing.

18. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll only let people I know and only after I nock an arrow and hand it to them. I am vehemently opposed to anyone drawing my bow unloaded.

19. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I let my hunting buddies shoot my main bow if they want. They have bows of their own and I trust them. Does not mean they can't mess up as accidents happen.

20. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Luckily, or unluckily, I'm left handed, so that usually ends the conversation right there with most people wanting to shoot mine.