What high powered rifle?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by indynotch50, Jul 21, 2014.

1. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok a recent rash of groundhogs on the property and some coyote hunting during turkey season has me in the market for a high powered rifle.
    I'm not in a state I can deer hunt with them and I have no desire to take it to a state that you can.

Basically I'm looking for a farm gun. That leads me to 2 questions, what make and what caliber? I want something that will drop an animal in it's tracks but not be a lot of kick. My brother has a .30-06 and it is stupid to shoot.

I was thinking the ruger American in .243 or .270. Is there a better option for cheaper? I'm not really looking for an investment. An AR would be great, but I'm not looking to spend that much.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

2. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If coyotes are the biggest thing you'd shoot, 243 would be plenty. Savage, Stevens, Mossberg, Ruger and TC all have low priced bolt guns that would work well. Just a personal choice, but I'd stay away from the Remington guns unless you get into the 700 model. Too many poor reviews for me to buy one.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For coyotes and groundhogs I think a .223 or .243 would be fine. It would be a little over kill for ground hogs but it would work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You don't know enough to be safe with a high powered rifle.
    A 17 RFM is about all you should use until you learn about ballistics.

5. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You could find a nice 223 bolt action for 400-600 dollars and they are cheap to shoot and have little recoil.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot yotes with 30-30, .17HMR, .22, 30-06, .35 and archery tackle. Don't take a lot to down yotes or groundhogs. .22-250, 220 swift are good rounds, obviously .223 also.

For close'ish shots out to 100yrds, a .17 will work as will a .22lr if you're proficient and further than that for groundhogs. Unless the wind is blowing hard a .17 shoots like a lazer but the bullet is small. I love mine, I shoot everything from beaver to coyotes with mine.

7. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Tikka in 243 last year and really enjoy the gun. I wanted something for varmints but also enough for coyotes and deer if the chance ever came up. The 243 doesnt kick but will be a little more expensive to shoot than the 223. It shoots as flat or flatter as the 223 depending on the round.
    [​IMG]

8. scottmills

scottmills Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    22 hornet !!

9. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    I had no idea you knew me. I probably know a lot more about ballistics than you assume. However, I haven't done a lot of research on which brand has a good rep for a good price.
    I currently use a .222 Remington 700 but it's my grandfather's and is in really good shape. Plus it sucks finding ammo. I like the round though which is why I was leaning more towards the .243 because I can get a bit more distance and slightly more knock down without going overboard. The .30-30 still peeks my interest but really only if I can get it off my buddy for cheap.
    I've been looking at the .22-250 as well but again. The point about .223 ammo is a good one though.

10. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Double post

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  11. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 300 blackout round.
    Great in subsonic loads, pretty good ballistics and good for all game up to whitetail sizes.

12. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll stand pat.

13. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I currently rifle hunt with a Savage 243. Its a youth model, no kick, strong little gun. My husband uses it for ground hogs. I shot a coyote with it during deer. We also have a 17 HMR. That is used more often for ground hogs as I rather not shoot my rifle. Bullets are cheaper, too. I haven't bought any in awhile to see if there is a shortage like 22.

14. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know alot of people around here use a .243 or .223/5.56 for coyotes. I just recently wanted basically the same thing your kinda looking for except groundhogs, they aren't a problem yet, and I picked up a 22-250. It's a savage model 11 for actually pretty cheap and came as package so it has a decent scope. Got a buddy that uses a 17 hmr and that thing is actually a nice shooter.

Here's what I picked up, like said it's a model 11 which is little more but you get the different trigger than the lower end savage model. Came with nikon 3x9x40.

[​IMG]

Living in Illinois can't use a rifle for anything bigger than coyote so didn't wanna spend alot, seems like it'll be good rifle though. I've yet to put rounds through it though.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

15. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stupid or not, I love my BAR 30.06. You may be able to get small caliber "Accelerator" rounds. Not sure if those are still available.

16. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah my neighbor has a .17 hmr that would work but when I go south the shots get further, too much for a .17.

I think you're on to something with that savage. The Tikka posted a over would be really sweet but I'm just not looking for that high of end unit.

17. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody have experience with the 17 wsm or the savage b-mag? Looks like a great varmint combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Remington 783 in 270 that is a pretty nice gun for a 'cheap' gun. It's my 'truck' gun. (Along with an AR and a 10/22)

We also own a h&r heavy barreled .223 that is a tack-driver. If you don't mind using a single shot, it's a gun to look at.

19. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    .22 hornets are more then enough for a ground hog or coyote. I have a Remington 700 model. But if you are looking for something with a little more power, I would go with a .22-250 or maybe 6MM which I also have and both are Remington 700

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  20. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own a ruger american .243 and I love it. I highly these rifles.