Waterfowl Hunters...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by PinkPony, Jul 17, 2014.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just booked a three day duck/goose hunt in upper New York for November. Though the exact days aren't set yet.

Anyone else hunt waterfowl?

I have never hunted it before, though going to start with the PA season this fall. Figured if I can do pheasant hunts this will be a bit easier! (Though pheasants taste better!)

Tips?

My husband enjoys it almost more than he does his bow hunting - so it should be interesting! I think both those things rate above me ;)

2. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You are gonna get hooked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    This is what he keeps telling me. I do hope it's true. If it is, I may have to convince him to buy another Versamax! I love that gun, lol.

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I think I like duck hunting more than deer hunting (yes I know what forum I'm on).

The biggest tip I can give you is to listen to what people tell you to do. I know it seems like a "duh" statement, but there's a lot that goes into a successful hunt. Just as little as looking up at the wrong time is the difference between birds cupping or birds flaring.

If you search waterfowl there was a quite large thread about waterfowl hunting not long ago. There are some pretty hardcore waterfowl guys on here.

I'm hoping to go to Maryland this year to hunt with a buddy of mine.

5. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Indy, I wiill do a search for that!

6. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Maryland and do a lot of waterfowl hunting here. There's a lot to learn and be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting ducks to me is better than Elk, Mule deer, and white tail combined. Cant beat it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

8. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am very partial do field hunting geese....but nothing will pull me away from a treestand in early November...it had me at hello!

9. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do a lot if upland birds mostly pheasant, quail and chukar. However I have done goose and duck. Personally you can't beat pheasant hunting but duck and goose was a blast!

10. Mwebber1026

Mwebber1026 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love waterfowlers!!!! I've been at it now for almost 20 years. It is VERY addictive.

11. Mwebber1026

Mwebber1026 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Waterfowling ....... Damn spell check

12. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Glad I am getting so many positive responses! I read some of the other thread from last year - sure are a ton of you guys that prefer that over deer! I am quite surprised, actually.

Can't wait to try it. We are going to an outfitter up there.

I've gone on a pheasant hunt this past year - that was fun. Challenging, but fun. I have a few grouse hanging behind my house, got to get them!

13. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been waterfowl hunting for 23 years. Nothing I rather do then duck/goose hunt. It's very addictive and can get expensive. Deer hunting is great and spending time alone in the woods is peaceful, but I much rather be in blind with my father and friends and dogs.

Like others have said it can be very frustrating. I've shot competition skeet and sporting clays and miss birds all the time. Have perfect decoy spreads everything is right and birds won't commit.

Man I can't wait for waterfowl season to start. FYI if you want a great hunt head to Missouri in March for the snow's northern migration.

14. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    See maybe it's just me but I love walking miles if fields with a shotgun and pheasant hunting. Way better than deer and waterfowl for me.

15. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Dog- Maybe if I get really into it, I'll definately put it on the list. I was told snow geese should start coming in along with others when we go in November.

This was our trip last year!

pheasant.jpg

It is a family owned hatchery - so it wasn't like in the wild (they don't release many here) but still fun!

16. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah we don't have a huge wild population but we had a pheasant hatchery called rock port that got destroyed in hurricane sandy. But the good news is that over 10,000 pheasants were released about 2 miles from where I hunt. Couldn't be a better outcome!

17. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guessing since you said booked you won't have to actually "do" anything. (guided)

But... tips if you love it as much as I do after your trip; keep it simple. You don't need the most decoys, the best gear, the loudest call. You will make mistakes, and a lot of them. Everyone does and anyone who says they don't is lying. I've made a ton of mistakes and that is what makes me a good waterfowler today. And don't be afraid to screw up!

The biggest thing in waterfowling is concealment. You could have the best spread set up, wind/sun in the right direction but if you're concealment is sub par, you might as well stay in bed.

Always try to have the wind at your back. Same with the sun. You can play a cross wind but the shooting gets tougher doing this.

Practice shooting in the offseason. Find the right choke/shell combination that fits you and your gun and know your limits with that setup.

I could go on and on!

18. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot skeet in the winter and a couple times in the summer. Definately think that helps some with learning to find them.

The outfitter we are going to does guide us. But, if we want to go out on our own during the "down" time we can.

Thank you for the tips! I am sure I will miss one or 50, lol. I am definately not the best of shot! But I try. Just out to enjoy it!

19. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do NOT flock shoot. Single out a bird and follow through on it before even considering your next target. I guarantee you'll out shoot everyone else doing that.

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A guided hunt is the way to go. Not having the right gear or access will work you to death. Personally I would rather hunt ducks & geese on land than over water. Either way it can be a lot of work. Probably one of the more expensive hunt hobbies to have.