Career Advice

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by POWERHAWK_11, Jul 16, 2014.

1. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As of now I am going to school to be a mechanical engineer. I've always wanted to work in the archery industry whether it was for a bow company or someone who makes rests and sights like NAP. As I have been doing research I have found that it can be tough to get into this industry because guys/gals love their job. I decided that I needed to gain some experience in this field. Would working in a pro shop or store that is certified by Mathews, Hoyt, and Bowtech provide this experience and should I try to intern with a company in the archery industry or just any old engineering firm? Any advice is welcome.

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interning within the actual company will get you more hands on experience. Something a bit more in depth about their products specifically. But a pro shop would also be a good place to get experience about the archery industry.

Getting a dream job is hard work, but if you are determined, it will be easier. Best of luck!

3. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing says you need to work for an established archery company, take a job, get some experience and training and then start your own company, design better sights, don't sell yourself, sell your designs, some times the clearest path is the one right before you.

4. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would start first with actual manufacturing companies and if you don't have any luck transition to the pro-shops. Working for one of the actual companies would look better on your resume and create more networking opportunities for you.

5. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First thing being key, do great in your degree. If you do that, doors will open for you. Mech is a good choice.