Education Advice

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BOWHUNTANDLIVE, Jul 14, 2014.

1. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So this topic may sound vague and uninteresting to most, but if you have advice I would love to hear it.

I will be retiring from the Military in about 5 years. I have finally figured out what I would like to be when I grow up. I would like to be a property manger for a major hunting firm, or any hunting firm.... I understand that this is a very sought after position and its prolly not what you know but who you know. But as I get closer to the golden time I would like to be as prepared and qualified as possible. I am in a position to get an education but I want the right one obviously. Is biology the right answer? Agriculture? Is what I am looking to even a pheasible career choice?? You guys from IL and WI and IN live in the epicenter of where I am trying to be and most are landowners. Any advice helps...thanks guys/gals!!

2. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't got no advice for that. Good luck! I'm scared ****less for when I leave in a year or two!

3. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got out of the military last year and I am going to school for forestry. While researching forestry careers I occasionally came across similar jobs posted to what you describe. Your best bet is to just search for those jobs and find which educational requirements come up most often. Good luck.

4. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say find someone who has the job you want then do what they recommend. Its good you know what you want to do for a living. I wish I knew, I like my job but I'm sure there is something else I would rather do. good luck

5. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    Where would on find such posts??? I guess my time in the military has kept me out of the job search loop. See one small step closer....

6. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what a hunting firm might be, but evidently you do. Why not just contact one or more and discuss your question with the owner or management?

7. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It will be very fun and rewarding when you find that dream job, but the path to get there will be rough. Expect to work shorter contract jobs, move around a ton, and not make very good money. I've been out of school for 4 years and just recently found a job relevant to my biology degree. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

8. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can not advise you here, keep chipping at it, Excellent frame of mind you have, best of luck.

9. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A regular biology degree isn't what you're looking for as there are A LOT of courses that you'll be taking that aren't related to that job field. I would say you'd be more suited in a Foresty, Ecology, or Land Management setting with maybe some type of minor in agriculture. As others have said though... I would go straight to the source and try to find what types of things outfitters are looking for.

10. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is a hunting firm?

11. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen them by just doing google searches, also by looking at jobs listed on the Society of American Foresters(SAF) website. I'm hoping to find employment as a forester managing a WMA forest after I graduate. I would check out schools that have forestry programs because some of them also offer courses in wildlife habitat management.

12. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    This is super helpful....so like an A&M college? I'll have to do a correspondence version if one offers it....I am deployed ALL the time...thanks brother...great start in my quest...

13. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    I had no idea that you could take classes specifically for wildlife management....I thought it was a biologist that kinda fell into that role...naivety...it kills me sometimes....

14. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Many colleges have Wildlife Conservation or Management degrees. They are mostly filled with good old boys who all have the same dream as you, but there just are not that many jobs like you describe out there.

If you go this route, I strongly suggest continuing your education towards your Masters.

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Our community college has a ton of wildlife management and forestry programs. Without talking to someone directly in that field, I'd think you'd either want a Masters in conservation or management, or a combination or degrees like ag, forestry & wildlife management.

It'll be competitive no matter what you choose.

16. cr422

cr422 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    But when you apply for that job at Wal-Mart, don't tell them you have an advanced degree. They will be even less likely to hire you.

17. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying not to underestimate the competitive nature of it all....I guess I don't really know anyone that actually does this as a career. I know several people in the guiding business but they all manage their own properties and have never really considered hiring someone to do it for them...so they are of little help. I am currently in the wrong profession to help my cause...knowing how to fight and win wars does very little for my job resumé....but I am driven....for what that's worth...thanks for the advice!

18. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Put the deployment money to buying land! Manage it yourself and lease it. Might be a tactic

19. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    4 kids bro.....and a divorce.....believe me when I say that's not in the cards for me....I like where your heads at though!!