Did you lift today?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by ArcheryGirl, Jul 6, 2014.

1. ArcheryGirl

ArcheryGirl Guest

I have to get this off my chest. I was wondering if anybody here is lifting at the gym as well. If you know what proper form is and watch other people you know how many things people can and will do wrong.

Today was one of THOSE days. For about an hour I was watching a dad trying to show his (maybe 16 or 17 year old) daughter how to squat. The whole hour she didn't manage to do one set right because he loaded twice as much weight as I would do on it and I've been squatting for a while. She probably has a total body weight of 110-120 and when she finally got the bar off and wanted to go down (she was in a rack) she couldn't because of all the weight she wouldn't be able to go back up. On top of that she had the worse form I've ever seen. I watched them very closely and was soooo close to say something to them.

Anyhow... working out should be fun and rewarding in the end when you keep doing it. It's just so sad for me to see people that do it wrong since they will never get the results they want and will probably be in pain or injure themselves having bad form. I went up to people before and told them how to do the exercise right but the guy today made me really mad...

I feel much better now lol

2. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To me, it's best to get form down first, then to rack on the weights. It seems kind of dumb to do heavy weights before getting proper form. I hate squatting heavy weights, but when I do squats and lunges weighted, I just think about how good it makes my butt look good.

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still working on getting rid of bad form I learned as a kid. Go ahead and speak up. They should really appreciate it. One bad lift and your done for anyhow.

4. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can see where you would be tempted to say something, but it probably wouldn't have done any good. Maybe you should have tried though. I usually only go to the gym in the winter to use the treadmill since you can't run outside much in the ice and snow. I don't often use the weights there because we have them at home, but sometimes I do. I did have someone once tell me I should use more weight, but I tried to explain that I don't want to build muscle or get stronger. I just do it to stay firm. This guy will take all the fun out of it for the girl.

For a while when I was 13 though, I did very intensively exercises to try to increase the size of my bust. Nothing worked.

Guys sometimes want their child or girlfriend to use a bow that's too hard to pull or a gun with too much recoil and it spoils it for that person. When my husband was teaching me to shoot, he was very sensitive to my limits and made it really fun for me. So I really enjoy shooting bow and gun and hunting. Sometimes people tell me I should learn to use a bow with more power, but I say why should I do that? I am very comfortable with my ability to hold completely steady and make consistently accurate shots. So I have great confidence. This should be the goal.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  5. ArcheryGirl

ArcheryGirl Guest

That's exactly my point. When you start out with any hobby it's so important to have fun with it. If I try something and I don't feel it I'm out. I've seen guys with their girlfriends at the gym working them way too hard and guys at the range having their girlfriend shoot for the first time with a bow that's way too heavy. I was just sooooo mad because I had to watch them for one hour.

6. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya, and I see so many doing what I call 1/4 squats. You get so much more if thighs are almost paralell to ground with less weights. I also see so many that dont keep chin up and get off balance! But my biggest peave in the gym is talkers! The i pod is best equipment in the gym ;)

7. ArcheryGirl

ArcheryGirl Guest

Yes and yes :D

8. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been a gym animal for ten years now and I've approached some with advice and others I've kept my mouth shut, it just depends on if it feels right at the moment or not. The idea is to not sound like a stuck up know it all

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My biggest peave is the gym as a whole. People more worried about talking, checking themselves out in the mirror, looking good, etc.

Home gym for me. :tu:

To stay on topic, form is the key. Starting out, I hurt myself plenty of times with bad form. I'm still trying to work on my lunge form. Seems like I always mess that up.

10. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL well I guess that explains why I don't work out any more!! Probably part of the reason I don't anyways, other than I'm too lazy to get started!

11. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been a gym rat for going on 15 years now...and the biggest problem i see is people (mainly guys) trying to lift with their egos. Best advice i can give is leave your ego in front of the bathroom mirror for your next "selfie" and out of the gym haha. Get in the gym and lift with a weight that allows you to properly complete the given movement.

12. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I just let em do what they want to do. Spend too much time in the gym to pay attention to what others are doing now

13. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Without pics... I don't get it

14. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have terrible form in the gym, will you come help me?:)

15. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not as bad as people who look funny to me trying to throw a football at the beach....it kills me.

16. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  17. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Were you at the XSport on Randall Rd? If so that place has had knuckleheads doing this for years;)

18. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    anyone else think the OP might really be a 43 year old guy in his mom's basement, trolling for young bowhunters?

19. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yepper... Of course I have run into some old high school class mates and my basketball coach. I still prefer working out alone though.

20. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of pet peeves....the grunter/screamer, the machine reservers then dissapearers, the strutter...pick up a weight "Tom." There are so many more...