Wearing the Flag?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Muzzy Man, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay I see this a lot. Is it allowable or forbidden? People wearing the flag as clothing or on clothing? What say ye?

2. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is a law against it but no penalty for it. I view it as disrespect and that is MY personal view.

3. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you mean like the actually flag or flags designs on shirts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I see flags on swim caps... stencils... then I see shirts that are not flags but appear to be made to look like they are actual flags... even though they are not. For some reason it bothers me. I remember the Dream Team in the 92? Olympics who had to cover their Logos and used the flag to wrap around themselves... that caused a lot of flack.

5. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    4 U.S. Code § 8 - Respect for flag
    No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
    (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
    (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
    (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
    (f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
    (g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
    (h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
    (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

6. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    my view as well.

flag story:

My FIL has an old flag from the early 1900's, that was torn and ripped....the ****** covered it in laquer to "preserve" it, and nailed it to his basement wall as part of his "decor"....i told him it was one of the most disrespectful thing i have ever seen...and i was extremely offended" and in my mind i said "but I excpect nothing less from a draft dodger" GGGRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! gets me so mad to see people disrespect the flag.
    If they only knew and saw the true sacrifice that the men and women of our armed services have made for that flag.

8. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Swamp playing devils advocate, he probably didn't mean anything by it but thought it was a bit more patriotic than anything. Trying to find an example, but it's like people who wear the military uniform all wrong on halloween because they think it's cool, they don't mean any disrespect by it.

9. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking of draft dodgers, I was arrested when I was 19 for not registering for the draft. I had joined the military when I was 17 and never registered because by my 18th birthday I was already where the registration would have taken me if the draft was reinstated. Anyway, local law enforcement agencies were notified of people who failed to register (back then anyway) and I came home on leave to the one horse town my mother lived in and was arrested within 24 hours of being home. Spent the weekend in the county jail before seeing a judge on Monday. Needless to say the judge wasn't amused by the local cop's lack of common sense when he admitted to the judge that I had shown him not only my military ID but also my leave papers. The town had to reimburse me three days wages, $36.51, and the cop was reprimanded. Good 'ole Officer Conley, the kind of cop that would arrest others for things his boys did.

10. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's like people who wear a rosary or a crucifix as jewelry. It shows disrespect.

11. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I mainly see it on military members hats. Such as those patches that Velcro to the front of them.

12. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think that its ok as long as its in a respectful manner and not a torn up picture.

13. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Does it? I certainly don't think they mean any disrespect. They just might think it looks cool, I mean we go into all the time about how people should get over it and such, like the redskins in washington. Might as well tell others to get over this too.

I mean there are patriotic people who wear things like the flag and such without meaning disrespect by any means, others however would find it disrespectful. Id say they should take into consideration the flag code, but as long they don't do things to disrespect the flag, its fine by me.

14. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think I could possibly care less if someone wanted to wear the flag.

15. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to agree.

Millions of people where the flag, rosary or crucifixes. And I bet 99% of them have no idea they are being viewed as "disrespectful".

Iowa, are you saying all these companies printing items with the flag are breaking the law?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    uh, when in doubt, follow the law.

I thought Paragraph C was pretty interesting - it's violated at nearly every major sporting event, including those in conjunction with military honor guards. I never knew it was not supposed to be displayed parallel to the ground. I just thought it was not supposed to be lain on anything.

17. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think people should be able to do whatever they want to the flag. Even if it is disrespectful. Not that I agree with it or would ever do it myself.

18. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think it's law guys. It's the congress code for care of a flag.

19. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This, no matter how offended you get its not breaking a law. You can look up a similar code or whatever for what to do when getting rid of a flag.

As far as wearing the flag, its kinda whatever and based on the situation or context for me. Shirts or hats that have a flag printed on them don't bother me one bit. But if someone is strolling around with a actual flag wrapped around them in some way then yea they'll get corrected.

20. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Ignorantly dishonoring the flag is okay to many... intentionally dishonoring the flag is also okay to some... not caring one way or another is okay to some?

Wow... just wow! Maybe someone else can help me out... I wonder how these guys would feel about it?

Attached Files: