prisoner swap

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by dnoodles, Jun 2, 2014.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    so, over the weekend the USA swapped a non-com US Army serviceman for 5 members of Taliban leadership...a soldier who by all appearances is a deserter at best, and quite possibly a traitor. The CiC did not notify Congress at all, much less 30 days ahead of time as required by a law he signed into effect...

'He should face a court-martial for desertion!': Two former Bowe Bergdahl platoon-mates say he put 'thousands' in danger when he abandoned his Army post | Mail Online

Jeffrey Toobin: Obama ?Clearly Broke the Law? on Bergdahl | Mediaite

Pentagon knew Bergdahl's whereabouts but didn't risk rescue for 'deserter' - Washington Times

Fmr Soldier Who Served With Bergdahl: ?He?s At Best a Deserter, And At Worst a Traitor? | Washington Free Beacon

Sources: Intelligence community investigated Bergdahl?s conduct | Fox News

The facts stand as they are - the US negotiated with terrorists. The Taliban is not the head of any recognized government. They are a terrorist network. We received one low ranking serviceman in exchange for 5 top-tier hard-core jihadis, at least one of whom is wanted by the Hague for war crimes in the killing of thousands of civilians. It is evident that the soldier in question deserted his post and was AWOL. There is much anecdotal evidence that the soldier was at least a sympathizer, if not an outright defector. The soldier's father appears to be sympathetic to Islam(ists) and is now actively crusading for the release of all Gitmo detainees...

Care to opine?

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They told us about him during our brief on SERE. He left his post. Desertion. Plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for your service and your background info; but what is your opinion on the circumstances surrounding the exchange?

4. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I think we got screwed. I think the only reason that they made the exchange is hearts and minds of the average citizen. I mean how many people honestly knew who he was. It's another Jessica Lynch.

5. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are there any surprises left?

This guy is making the Hilda beast seem almost palatable, whats next?

I'm writing in Gary Busey in 2016!

6. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not surprised, nor do I agree with the decision he came to (which also doesn't surprise me).

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    who is "he" and what decision are you referring to?

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    ...and who are the 1-2 "guests" constantly perusing this thread? "Spook"y....

9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    haha!
    less than 5 minutes after i posted that last, the "guests" left.

10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    To my knowledge JL was not an AQ sympathizer...but I could just be ignorant on that case.

as far as "the average citizen's" heart/mind in this matter; it is pretty obvious that even the lapdog media is not falling all over itself to congratulate the administration on its "victory." CNN and others (even MSNBC!!!) are highlighting the circumstances surrounding the soldier's dubious "capture" as well as his father's social media activism.

Politically, this appears to be a lose-lose for the administration. I don't know anyone who would trade one POW sergeant for 5 top enemy commanders; much less if said sergeant appears to be an enemy sympathizer.

11. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. deserter traded for terrorists - bad swap.
    2. A precedent has now been set and many more American lives at risk because of it.
    3. The terrorists have vowed to return to their career field of killing innocent civilians.
    4. The POTUS will have blood on his hands for every death attributed to these five.
    5. The administration trying to minimize by saying they dealt with Qatar, not terrorists is BS.
    6. Susan Rice saying that it did not matter that he was a deserter because he was in poor health BS.
    7. Susan Rice saying he was a POW is demeaning to every American who ever was really a POW.
    8. Susan Rice saying he was captured on the battlefield is BS.
    9. Bergdahl's next stop should be the federal prison at Fort Leavenworth to receive the penalty for desertion in a time of war.
    10. Other soldier's lives were lost searching for Bergdahl which makes him responsible for the death of what were supposed to be his comrades.

Questions?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  12. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its complete bs, with all the people now coming out saying he was a deserter does little for any sympathy I have. How many people died looking for this idiot or getting the five we let loose as trade. Only reason it happened was for the elections coming up to look good to the voters that probably think this guy is a hero.

13. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He is a sergeant yes but only because he was promoted due to time in grade during captivity. He is really a pfc

14. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  15. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are many people sitting in Gitmo that the Taliban would love to get back, now they know how to do it.

16. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    JL was a coward but did not desert.

BB shipped his private belongings home, left a note on his bunk and then secreted himself away without authorization. He should have been declared a deserter from the moment he was discovered to be absent. The admiral who said we don't leave our service members behind fails to realize that BB left us, we did not leave him.

Evidently, this administration has replaced true patriotic general officers with cronies.

17. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I know Lynch wasn't a deserter. I was just making a reference to the media circus that I remember following her.

18. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Time to send this ******* to prison. After that? Get rid of the obamation. Then, Hunt down the 5 Gitmo prisoners and kill anyone and everyone they associate with. Time to grow a sack and make an example.

19. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think this is so FUBAR it isnt funny. We gave away the top 5 taliban we had. All we did is show other countries what we are willing to trade to get an "american" back. just imagine what they will want for a real American.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Serious question, does anyone really think BO has the best interest of the United States of America as a priority? He has proven time and time again that he does not. It's just really sad that the media protects him and the majority of Americans have no idea how bad he is for this country. It's truly a scary thought.

As far as Bergdahl, if the accusations are true he should be hanged for treason. If BO knowing released 5 high ranking Taliban for a traitor, he should also be tried for treason.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014