Bad service....

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Matt, May 31, 2014.

1. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you ever not tipped at a resteraunt do to horrid service?

2. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tip 20 percent for above average service i tip zero for bad

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just tipped 0, never asked to film up drinks or if I wanted another beer....my wife orders cheese ravioli and he wrote down chicken parmesan....I had to ask if we could get our garlic bread, he said sure 3 or 6 count....I said uh we ordered the 3 already.

Awful.

4. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This...there have been very few times I've had service bad enough to tip zero though

5. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Only once have I had to tip zero due to bad service. And I never base my tip off the time it takes to get the food, that's the kitchens fault and not always the waitress or waiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have in the past. Takes really bad service tho.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

7. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This. I usually tip 20%...easy math. I've never not had to tip due to bad service. If I'm ever in that situation though, I'll leave a nickel or something so they don't think I just forgot to tip. :)

8. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me its probably once every 20 trips to restaurants I get bad service where I don't tip. So maybe once a year it seems to be happening.

9. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have left a penny so she knew I didn't forget the tip.

10. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had a bad enough experience in a restaurant before that I've completely not tipped. I always tip 20%+ for good service, but don't hesitate to go below for mediocre service. I will say that I would have no problem leaving not tip at all for extremely bad service though... that's the whole point of their job.

11. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually tip 20% for good service. I did put 2 pennies in a glass of water once for a tip due to rotten service... but that was a long time ago before I was married.

12. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I took my wife to a restaurant once where the waitress took our order and her answer to everything was "Yup". When she brought food to our table it wasn't ours. When I told her this,her answer was "well somebody ordered it." Finally got our meal and I asked for a refill on my coke to which she said "yup." She brought me back a draft beer. Then, when we were done and I asked for the tab, she said "yup" and disappeared. Soon, I saw her outside on her cell phone smoking a cigarette and still no bill. I got the manager, paid the bill to him and promised politely to never return. I left a penny on a napkin on the table where I scribbled "Is this your tip? YUP!"

13. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    HAHA I think I have done the penny thing before too. Classic move.

14. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have also left more than 100% tips for excellent service. I was at a chain restaurant that was unusually busy for that time of day and they only had two waitresses to work the whole place. The manager was riding my waitresses butt about hurrying up. She had 16 or 17 tables she was trying to handle. When I got the bill it was like $10 so I gave her $30 and told her to keep the change. When she said it was too much, I told her not to worry, I'd get it back from her manager. As soon as I got home I filed a complaint with corporate about the manager and lauded her performance. Next time I stopped in she was the assistant manager and the butt head was gone. She remembered me and I was pleased that her issue was resolved.

15. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't remember but once ever receiving service so bad that I didn't tip. Personally I think leaving a penny is doing no one any favors. The very few times I have had an issue, I have spoken directly to the server and let them know what they were doing wrong. On one occasion, I asked to see the manager and asked for a different server who was tipped quite well. Just not leaving a tip or just leaving a penny to make a point is as unprofessional as not addressing a poorly motivated employee at your office IMO. That one time... I believe we left without eating at all.

16. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Umm...what? Customers are responsible for training those who are serving them? Being a customer is not a profession and should not feel obligated to tip bad/rude service.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  17. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The people behind us had already ordered when we sat down, once we sat down it was quite some time before we ordered. The server came by them and said there had been a "mix up in the kitchen", so when we left (after my wife's meal came well after mine) they were still eating.

He honestly was awful.

This was the first time I did not tip at a resteraunt.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me, tips are earned. I don't hesitate to not tip when I get crappy service. They chose to take a job in the service industry. I tip about 10% for decent service and I tip about 20% for exceptional service. My standards aren't crazy. Don't make me make that sucking sound through my straw. Get my order correct. Don't hover over my table, once you drop off the ticket, come back and get my card and run my ticket so I can get out of there. Don't make me sit around waiting 15 minutes before you come back.

19. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have left a quarter a few time with nice little notes on a napkin. We generally tip 20% for standard service and up from there. My dad was in town a couple of years ago and we sat at our table for 15 minutes and nobody showed up. I called the restaurant from my cell phone and asked for the manager and asked he come to our table. Apparently the girl covering our table was overloaded and didn't want to take the table and it is a restaurant we frequented a lot with friends for breakfast. While listening to his excuses and apologies one of the waitresses we have had previously came from the other side of the restaurant walked up said she would take the table and we were regulars of hers. Our meal was comped and she got a $30.00 tip that day.

My wife was a bartender for years in the Chicago area so she never tips less than 20% unless there is no option.

20. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I remember one experience in particular where my wife and I (girlfriend at the time) went to a restaurant on Christmas eve. One of the only ones we could find open. There were only like 5 other people in the whole place. Our service was so terribly bad that on like a $60 bill we tipped like $1.50. I was going to tip nothing but I figured 1.50 would be an even bigger slap in the face.