Theories on Life on Earth and the Universe.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by chopayne, May 30, 2014.

1. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Fermi Paradox - Wait But Why

The Fermi Paradox on life in this universe.

Is the presence of God mutually exclusive of Aliens? If new life, intelligent life like ours were found, would this make you question your belief in God?

If I were to believe in God id have to say no, it wouldn't. If God made humans, why wouldn't he make them on other planets? Also is there anything in the bible that states humans on this earth are the only ones he made? - Maybe the Genesis story.

2. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In answer to question 1: No. Question 2: No. Question 3: No. There is no reason to believe that God made humans and called it quits. After watching us screw it up so bad, maybe he decided we were the beta test and went into production elsewhere with modifications.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    it is the height of self-worship (and therefore at odds with God) that makes people think we are alone in the universe.
    Sort of a sidebar, but did anyone listen to Glenn Beck today??? I've been saying that for years - we, as human beings, NEED to believe and/or experience things that are mysterious, greater, and more powerful than ourselves. Without that belief or experience, we are lost. Think about it...if your life (wife/dependent kids notwithstanding) in its current state is as good as it gets, what more do you have to live for?

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great read

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ...strive to make your current state better?

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When i think of the universe in the terms of this theory, and possibilities I find it very hard to believe in a divine presence. Furthermore if there was a divine presence on such universal scale I don't think that humans are currently able to understand and recognize it.
    It makes me think that humans belief in God is a response to their lack of understanding of their place in the universe.
    And when you consider that the belief in "god or gods" transcends cultures and locations it's all the more that people believe in god as response to the unknown.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess that depends on one's concept of God. I tend to think of God as something similar to "The Force" from the Star Wars Universe. A force that's literally a part of everything in the universe....easily explains how God could be all knowing, all seeing, eternal and all powerful. God could conceivably manifest itself in any form, anywhere at anytime.

As far as the Fermi Paradox, it's almost so speculative that it's a worthless thought experiment but it's a fun one all the same. I would tend to lean toward #'s 8, 9 or 10...I rather like the "Zoo" concept. I don't think we're alone in the universe, I agree that there is some pretty decent evidence that other life forms have visited the planet already too....at least there's something wonky about our "known" history.

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Key part of my premise is if you thought your life "is as good as it gets." In other words, had no hope or faith that things could get better.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  9. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That's an interesting thought. I'm not doing bad, but I'm not wealthy and I know I never will be. I don't have a lot of fancy things that others have and I know that I won't ever have them. So, let's say that this is it and that there is nothing that I can do to improve my life. What more do I have to live for? Let's see:

Being here to watch my children go through life with its ups and downs and being there for them when they need me.

Being here to watch my grandchildren grow up.

Being here to walk my youngest daughter down the isle when the time comes.

Being here to meet my future sons and daughters-in-law.

Being here to hold my grandchildren that haven't been born yet.

Going "outside to play" with my grandchildren.

My next hug from my granddaughters and grandsons.

The next time I launch my boat on a still, misty morning.

My next big bass.

My next bow kill..

The list is endless. I guess my point is that if you feel that your life is as good as it will ever get, then you are mistaken because even if your personal situation will never change there is still SO MUCH to enjoy in this world. There is something to look forward to every day if a person will just look for it, and if there is something to look forward to then life is good and it will just keep getting better.

10. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only obstruction to seeing the miracles of life is the viewer's perception.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  11. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Dnoodles. I'm guessing this as good as it gets is a high and not a low in life right? I mean it could really be interpreted either way and if someone at a low in their life is saying that, I don't think that's self worship.

12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    No, I'm speaking of whatever you believe your current state of existence happens to be. Good, bad, indifferent. And I also should have earlier used "existence" instead of "life," as I am also referring to the possibility of an afterlife whether that be Heaven in whatever concept you choose, or reincarnation.

What I'm getting at is we now have an entire generation (and working on a second generation) who is being taught that Man is the supreme being, and has outright control of or at least large influence on everything from the creation/destruction of life, the environment, etc. We have overwhelmed these generation(s) with 24/7 information, instant gratification, and the erroneous premise that they are special and deserve something given just due to the very fact that they exist.

Once these people hit their teens and early adulthood, they find that they cannot coalesce reality with their expectations of life. No one wants to be their friends just because they exist. They do not comprehend or accept rejection because they were never taught to believe in or worship anything higher than themselves. Without the knowledge/faith that we get what we deserve/earn only through action, deed, or thought, in either (key part here) this life or the next; these kids are lost. These are the kids committing suicide, these are the cutters, the kids crawling into VR and never returning. These are the kids of Colombine, Aurora, and Santa Barbera.

And I'm not just talking religion...we as humans just have a need to experience/believe that there are mysterious, wondrous, and greater things in this world, galaxy, Universe, or Heaven above that we cannot explain or even comprehend. It is the drive to experience, explain, and overcome that makes us human. As soon as we start believing that we have nothing greater to look forward to; or conquered all, we have really lost everything.

13. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    dnoodles. I think you're mistaken on stereotyping those kids. I see your point, but those kids come from all families and experiences who end up going down those routes for one reason or another. There have always been murderers, suicidals, outcasts, etc and though they may seem more prevalent now than before, it is more than likely (my opinion) due to the focus of the media.

Aside from that, I agree that kids are being taught instant gratification and that they are special because someone said they were. I also agree with your statements independently of eachother other than your 3rd paragraph, but I don't see how it all ties together.

14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'm not doing a good job articulating how the concept comes together...I ran out of bourbon last night so I'm operating at half capacity.

basically these people are stuck in a place where they have no positive outlet or hope for future betterment. Whether stuck in poverty or on the highest rung of the corporate ladder, they are stuck nonetheless. They see no hope above or below. They see their being, at that moment in time, as being "as good as it gets" - nothing to look forward to. The self-worship part comes into play as the arrogance to deny that there is a larger force in control of or at least affecting you at all times.

They are unable to interact on a social level with others who could positively mentor or guide them. They inflict harm on themselves and/or others just in order to feel something, anything. They don't accept the concept that there are better times ahead, in this life or the next, because they have been taught all their lives that whatever they want/need is deserved just because they exist. They are taught this is their birthright, rather than something to be earned through learning, experience, or via faith in a higher power. When reality clashes with their unrealized irrational expectations, they cannot cope and are prone to complete breakdown.

(That being said; some people are just bat-crap crazy and nothing can be done to help them.)

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I stopped reading when it talked about the age of the universe and the big bang. Both science and the Bible require faith to believe in their respective idea in the creation of the universe. Since my belief revolves around the Bible and according to the Bible, God created Earth before he created the sun, moon, and stars, yet there was no mention of life being created on any other planets I take it as there not being any other life. However, even if there is, Jesus died for the sins of all. Also, God made man to rule over "His works" as noted in Psalm 8:3-6: "Thy heavens, the work of the Thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which Thou has ordained…Thou dost make him to rule over the works of Thy hands, Thou has put all things under his feet.” There's my opinion, have at it. :)

16. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    You do realize big bang and God does not have to be mutually exclusive right? It seems you're making it so. For all you know, "atheists" or "science" is explaining correctly the chain of events leading up to this world created by God.

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess you didn't see the part where the Bible says God created the Earth before he created the sun, moon, and stars. The differences in the Bible's description and the big bang theory are so far different it's not even comparable. You really pretend to know everything so I know it's no use but let me just say that my belief isn't just some insurance policy "in case" God does exist. I believe it fully and unfaltering without a single doubt. I don't pretend to know anything but what God has told me in the Bible, which is what I stand by.

18. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I never stated it was. What does it matter if he created this world in that manner? It doesn't disprove big bang theory. You're so caught up that im trying to prove your religion false that you can't see what im trying to tell you. Do not realize you act like you know everything?

19. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great post!

20. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here, let me quote you: "You do realize big bang and God does not have to be mutually exclusive right?"

The big bang theory is very different than what the Bible says (this is the 3rd time now that I think I've said this). I will go into detail for you so you don't have to compare them yourself. The big bang says that earth was a molten blob and it wasn't until it cooled that it could sustain water whereas the Bible states the earth was made mostly of water upon creation. This leads to the next difference, the big bang suggests things would have been extremely hot (hence the molten earth) from the big bang which would suggest monopoles, yet none are found, which suggests that the universe was never that hot. So even if God did use a natural phenomenon, it certainly wasn't the big bang because how the big bang suggests things occurred, it isn't compatible with the Bible. Listen, you asked a question and wanted our opinions so I answered. I'm not sorry that it's not the answer you wanted. I'm not caught up in anything, you're caught up in trying to come up with clever comebacks because it's an opposing view. What are you trying to accomplish by saying "You do realize big bang and God does not have to be mutually exclusive right? It seems you're making it so."? Sure, I guess we could play the hypothetical game for every single topic and thread. I think you are an evil Terminator sent back in time to question God and annoy people on Bowhunting.com. See how silly that sounds? I only claim to know the Bible and some of the opposing views like any Christian should. It just so happens that I enjoy science and seeing how secular and Christian science differ. You can't be upset with me because the big bang model and the Biblical Creation model don't match. Could God have used some natural phenomenon to create the universe, sure (although I don't think the Bible suggests that), but it certainly wasn't the big bang because it doesn't match or fit what the Bible says.