Where are the bluegills??

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by longbowmanjimmy, May 13, 2014.

1. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been out a few times trying to catch the spawn, but I guess were still early?? I dunno. Catchin some small ones but thats it. You guys have any luck yet?

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't seen nearly as many up at my cottage as I usually do. I am sure that this long winter really messed up the population. For my lake that is a great thing though as it is so over populated with gills that it has stunted the growth for years now. Hopefully we lost several thousand of them so the ones that remained can start to put on some real size! Sick of catching 3-6" gills all day long! Would be nice to finally start getting some bigger fish!

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Or maybe your just not fishing the right spot. Just checked Lake-link and a report from the 7th said he was hitting a ton of nice sized gills.

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What state you fishing?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

5. Chef Nerd

Chef Nerd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Wisconsin the winter thrashed the fish population. Hoping that it helps kill off some fish as the gills were getting pretty small with there over production!

6. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been catching a bunch of them! I cant put down the rod without one taking the bait!

7. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here in southern Indiana we are running about a month behind where would normally be for water temps that the gills like to spawn in. Normally the full moon in May sees heavy spawning activity. When I checked both of my ponds yesterday there were very little sign of any nesting going on. That could change this week with temps reaching the 80's for several days.

I did get out to one of the lease ponds this weekend and found the crappie had finished spawning and were ripping everything that moved. I caught 30 on a 16th OZ jig suspended 2 & 1/2 feet under a casting bobber in a little over an hour.

[​IMG]

8. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was bass fishing at the Lake of the Ozarks this past week for 4 days. Caught 121 bass, but also couldn't keep the bluegill off our lines. Caught over 100 of them on senkos, suspending jerkbaits, and rat'l traps. Little suckers were hungry, several of them still had what looked like to be small crawdads hanging out of their throats. Had a heck of a fish fry Saturday night for dinner.

Also caught a Striper on a jerkbait which was a first for down there.