NFL player already fined and suspended

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by dmen, May 13, 2014.

1. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don Jones of the dolphins is the first to fall to the homosexual mafia. He tweeted a couple things about the St louis rams drafting the homosexual and his displeasure (the tweets were, "OMG" and "horrible") with seeing two men play toncil hockey( I was pretty disgusted by it myself)on national tv. His sentence? A fine and suspension along with reeducation camp. Welcome to the new USA. Where the freedom to be repulsed is now punishable and soon surely will be a crime.

2. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was unaware the US government fined and punished him..?

3. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see this thread lasting long.

4. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I mean...is this not the exact same situation as the Duck Commander and the Sterling issue.

People can say whatever they want, but their employer or private governing body has the right to punish them for saying something that could be deemed offensive.

These are private entities. This is not the government. This has nothing to do with Freedom of Speech.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Freedom of religion is part of the Workplace Religious Freedom Act. Since the Bible states that homosexuality is immoral I think he has a good case to argue for religious discrimination. This goes back to the Phil Robertson argument we had. Places of employment can punish people for a lot of things, but not political preference or religious beliefs, it's illegal. So in this case the government isn't fining or punishing him, but in fact protecting him.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  6. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Where did he mention the U.S. Government? He mentioned the USA. You know, America? We the people, etc.?

He may not be too far off about this becoming a crime at some point in the future.

7. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Correct. He is free to practice whatever religion he chooses. But he cannot state what some might consider inflammatory remarks about certain people on the basis of religion.

He has no case on his hands for religious discrimination.

8. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are not free to say whatever you want in the view of your employer. Never have been. So I don't know what else he could have been insinuating.

9. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No case. He broke his league code of conduct but once again when you belong to an organization you cannot say whatever you want without repercussions.

no offense but you should look into the definition of religious discrimination

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I can concede to that, the Act really just means the workplace has to accomodate religious practices and cannot impede on observances or practices. I guess I just think that if reiterating what a scriptual text says is punishable, we do live in a sad world.

11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Really, Hooker? He's right - it's the new America. You don't have to say something that is against the views of your employer. You can be the CEO, Chairman and the outright owner of a huge corporation and still get crucified for stating any negative personal views regarding homosexuality.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  12. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think tweeting "OMG" and "horrible" is exactly reiterating a scriptural text :lol:

13. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's the new America because you are reaching everyone now, instantly. People no longer read the newspaper. Stories are spread around the country in seconds. That guy tweeted to millions of people. If that's your view, that's fine. I can't walk into my office and announce to everyone about something racist without being fired, this guy shouldn't get special treatment.

Hooker is completely right on this. The dolphins have to take the most extreme stance after what they just went through with Martin.

14. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Being crucified by the public or the media is a bit different than actually being punished, no?

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that it's a new America but this isn't always the case. It turned out well for Chick-Fil-A after the CEO spoke out against gay marriage. Homosexuals and gay marriage supporters attempted to do a "kiss-in" (they have every right to assemble) and Chick-Fil-A got so much support and the "kiss-in" was a dud, so they don't always get crucified and nothing happened to their CEO.

16. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The tweets were hardly what I would consider violation of any code of conduct.

17. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well if you have employees, you have every right to not fine or punish them in the same scenario.

Unfortunately, the Dolphins disagree with your assessment.

18. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And if you were in charge then maybe he wouldn't have gotten fined. Like any rule or law it is open to interpretation.

19. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I suppose that would really be a matter of perspective. Do you think that the call by the LGBT crowd to boycott Chik-Fil-A wasn't intended as a form of punishment? Granted, it didn't quite have the big impact they thought it would, but had they gotten their way, they would have ran him out of business.

20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I was typing while you were. Yeah, Dan Cathey came out of it okay because as it turns out, people with Dan Cathey's views finally got sick of this crap, rose up and made the country hear THEM instead. Like I said, they would have shut Chik-Fil-A down if given the opportunity.