Bowhunting.com Bible Study Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by bowhunter448, May 8, 2014.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are starting a Bible study thread. I'll post the daily readings, followed by some discussion questions. I'm getting everything from http://www.ownit365.com/, doing the whole Bible plan. Feel free to participate as you can.

Today's reading : Genesis 1 - 2 and Job 1 - 2

Questions:
    1. What did God create “in the beginning?” Ever wonder what it means by heavens (plural)? If you want
    to go deeper, doing a word study on the word “heavens” makes a great study.
    2. What did God say after He created everything? Why would He say that? What do you think a world
    without sin would look/feel like? How might it appear different than our present world?
    3. What is your most favorite thing that God created? Least favorite? Weirdest?
    4. Is there any way you can create something from nothing? Did God? How?

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. I wonder if the word "heavens" is referring to the universes and the multiverse? (Giant universe). In genesis 1 it said something along the lines of "and in the heavens under the waters he created land. And this land he called earth" so I take this that our planet is under the heavens which could be the galaxies/universes?

2 are you referring to when God gave Adam the rule of never eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil?

3. Nature - my girlfriend (so I don't get in trouble :wink:) also nature and all the creatures except snakes. I think they are my least favorite. Weirdest is the platypus. :)

4. I think the only way to create something from nothing is through the all powerful which God is and he did this. I believe in the Big Bang theory because that's how I imagine the universe would react if an all powerful being said "let there be light"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like this idea. I hope I don't ruin it for you guys.

4. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Join in!

5. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    What are your religious views?

6. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    1. What did God create “in the beginning?” The heavens and the earth. Unless you count the other five days in the beginning, because then you have to include the sky, the sun and moon, land and sea, birds, fish, animals, plants, and us. Basically everything.
    1a. Ever wonder what it means by heavens (plural)? I always assumed the "heavens" was space and everything in it.
    2. What did God say after He created everything? "It is good"
    Why would He say that? I think because when He created everything, there is no evil fish, tree, bird, animal. Humans are the only ones with the concieved notion of evil, and we didn't get that until Eve ate from the tree.
    What do you think a world without sin would look/feel like? No wars, no crime. Honestly I don't think that we be as close to God as we are/can be if we didn't have the temptation or sin in the world.
    How might it appear different than our present world? I think it would be just the opposite of the world today.
    3. What is your most favorite thing that God created? I could answer everything, but I don't think that we take the time to think about it.
    Least favorite? Snakes. Most definitely. I hate the way they move.
    Weirdest? I don't know, honestly. The platypus is a good answer though.
    4. Is there any way you can create something from nothing? I can't.
    Did God? I honestly believe that He did.
    How? I don't know. I could imagine that Him, Jesus and the Spirit were just lounging around one day and decided to spice it up a little. I truly think that God knew what would happen with Adam and Eve.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1. There is a first, second and third heaven. Paul mentions the third heaven in 2 Corinthians 12. 1st heaven is our atmosphere. 2nd heaven is outer space and 3rd heaven is where the Heavenly Father dwells.
    2. He told Ahdahm he could freely eat from all of the tree except one. I think to see if Ahdahm would freely obey Him. We have always had free-will. A world without sin would be world where all kept His commands. All would rest 1 day in 7 and keep His appointed Feasts. Once this world is purged with fire and renewed, then we will see things as they should be. No more death, sorrow or pain.
    3. Most favorite - His Word. Least favorite - Ticks Wierdest - Volcanoes
    4. Yes He can do anything. He can merely speak things into existence. He is All Powerful and His Knowledge is LIMITLESS. I heard a quote not long ago, "Every gadget you see, use and hold was a thought in someone's head at one time." The fact that He has ALWAYS existed and has No Beginning and No End is Mind Blowing! Scripture says "He holds the hollows of the deep in His hands! WOW! When He says, There is no new thing under the sun." I get it. The materials to make these things have always been here. Someone just figured out how to put them together to get the things we have today.

8. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Explain more in the 1st and 3rd heaven?

9. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1. The first thing that God created for us was a beginning. God stands outside of time and just as He created the world as a perfect environment for soul making, He also created time for us. We could ask, did God create anything before the beginning? I believe the answer to that would be yes. It appears that angels were created "before time".

For example, we know that angels must have been created on or before the first day of creation, because Job 38:1-7 makes it clear that “the sons of God [i.e., angels] shouted for joy” when God laid the foundations of the Earth (vss. 6-7). This certainly indicates that the angels were present as eyewitnesses to the creation of the Universe. (Apologetics Press - When Did God Create Angels?).

10. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    None! That doesn't mean one should stop searching or continually question ones own belief. Itsbnlike knowledge, you should never stop learning. I also found once you stpp educating yourself, you just become dumb and unable to learn new things quicker. That Is a fact, you then join the dreaded "old people set in their ways" group.

You should ve seen me as a teen. I've changed my views so much since then.

11. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    So do you not believe in God, or do you just not belong to a church?

12. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Aren't people angels once we die and go to heaven?

13. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Then how would you explain the angel of death?

14. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I have never heard about the angel of death, I assume your not talking about the Grim Reaper? ;)
    So then is it not true that we become angels when we go to heaven, assuming we make it there?

15. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    The angel of death was responsible for Sodom and Goamorah.

16. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I take it those are demons? I'm still slightly confused, do we become angels in heaven?

17. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure about becoming angels. I've honestly never thought about it. They weren't demons. I believe it says that they are angels. I can look later when I get home.

18. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    (Luke 16:19-31)- describe a waiting place that people go when they die.

(1 Corinthians 15:35-58)- describe a new incorruptible body that Christians will be given. This could be somewhat like an angelic body but the Bible doesn't say.

(Philippians 3:21)- describes how our bodies will be transformed to be more like Jesus' body

But I cannot find any verses stating we will turn into or become angels.

19. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heaven is for Real is a film derived from the book that was published after an inexplicable experience.

Light reading for inquiring minds.

20. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Spot, that movie is based on a FALSE story. Snopes it. However, im sure it is a great movie.