Running

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Jake/PA, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So this past Saturday I completed my first 5k. It wasn't great but I really didnt know what to expect going in. About half way through I realized that I enjoyed running against others and myself, plus the competitive side of me wanted to keep up with the ones out front.

Now I want to start running more 5k, 10k, and longer distance races to challenge myself and to just get in better shape. The problem is I was never a runner and have no clue on how to train. The obvious answer is to just run but I know that more goes into it than that.

So the question for you runners is how do you train? Or what do you recommend that I start doing.

Right now I run about 3 miles every other day and have access to weights.

2. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The longer the distances you run, the more stamina you need. Since you are already running 3 miles, add some leg weights and continue to run the 3 miles with more and more weight to build you up. After you can run the 3 miles easily with an extra 5 lbs on each leg, remove the weights and increase the distance to 4 or 5 miles. At the new distance start, when you can run it without a lot of effort, start adding the weights again. Repeat process until you reach your goals.

When I practiced for the Nijmegan March in the 1980's, we used to carry a 60 lb rucksack with 10 lbs of leg weights. We increased our distance until we were marching 35 miles a day like this. When it came time to do the march, which consists of four 25 mile marches with a 40 lb rucksack, it was a breeze doing it without the extra 30 lbs.

Good luck!

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Remember to work your entire body as well. As you increase distances you will need to keep back and shoulders in shape too. Watch the hip flexors, and the pounding on your knees and ankles. if they start hurting don't push it. 3 times a week is about right. You can also build endurance with an exercise bike, elliptical, stair-master, lunges, swimming. etc... without the impact.

I usually run 3 days a week before work up to 10.5 miles... which you could time me with a sundial... if it were daylight yet, that is. :lol:

4. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    any basic training program will start with 3 types of runs

tempo - run comfortable distance and decent pace (basically like your current 3 mile run)
    sprint - 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile sprints; these are sprints, so they should hurt. start by doing about 4, then add more each week, if you can do these on a hill, even better
    long - long and slow; usually double your tempo distance, but run at a slower pace

those are the 3 types of runs you need to be doing weekly to improve speed and endurance, you can do multiple sprint or tempo days if you want

DO NOT strap any weights to your ankles :lol:

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have weights as in free weights. Didn't know if it was a good idea to do lunges, squats, and other lower body workouts.

Would this be a good start or is it too much/too little?
    Sunday- long run
    Monday - Tempo
    Tuesday-Sprints
    Wednesday- Tempo
    Thursday- Sprints
    Friday-Tempo or weights
    Saturday- Off day

6. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    if it was me, I'd do 4 run days (2 tempo runs) and 2 weight days

your probably going to want to rest your legs after your long run

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get a lab. He will teach you how to run.

I don't do this often. But I agree with hooker.

I run about 3-5 miles a day. Best way to build stamina is just do tempo runs and run with weights. Sprints are good but are more for building speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could still run a 4minute mile like I could back in Jr. High...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I integrate sprints and hills into my long runs to keep my heart beat up and not simply jogging. I think one needs to integrate that as you will fall to a slow pace on long runs without it.

I think the practice of strapped weights to your ankles is outdated. I believe it causes knee damage. Might be better off wearing a weight vest or something around your hips

10. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    any of this will just destroy your form

11. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Nah I don't believe that. Weight vest will make it harder for you to run but not ruin your form. The vest would distribute the Weight over your whole body. And anything you do to compensate could be easily corrected on the next run you do without it.

Though I should point out that I don't know of any professional athletes who strap weights to them so it may not be the best course of action.

12. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It will destroy your form. It will cause you to lean forward even more when you get tired. Do this enough and it becomes habit.

13. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would not recommend running with weight on your body. Work weights on the days between run days. Use a variety of types of runs to keep it interesting. I'm a big fan of doing 1/4 mile intervals and 60/120 type runs at least once a week to build up speed. When I do intervals I time myself on the first interval, then try to stay within 5-10 seconds of my time on the first interval for the rest of the workout, that helps me keep pushing when I get worn out.

14. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do not run with any weights strapepd on your body, whether its a vest or ankle weights.

Since you are some what new, just plain running will help build your running ability. Just run for a while, mostly at a comfortable pace. Then start thinking about adding in tempos & intervals. I wouldn't bother sprinting much for quite some time, unless you wanted to do something different once/month. But for now, definitely keep the speed work to no more than once/week. I also may be getting ahead of myself, but determining what type of runner you are, determines what kind of workouts you should do. And if you are new, you aren't in enough shape to even realize where your strengths & weaknesses are.

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never believed in adding weights while running. I feel it puts added stress on the knees and feet.

Okay, let me try again.

Sunday- Tempo
    Monday- Weights
    Tuesday-Tempo
    Wednesday-Sprints
    Thursday-Weights
    Friday- Long run
    Saturday- Off day

I'm not exactly sure what order it should be in.

16. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    That is a nice plan. But a plan is only good if you can commit to it. I want to run 5 days a week I do about 3-4 because I get lazy. A good start might be to start with that schedule and reach up to sticking to it. Or starting with less runs per week. Depends on what kind of person you are, my motivation changes hourly.

My thing would be

Tempo long run
    Sprints
    Weights (is this weightlifting? Could also incorporate the dreaded crossfit)
    Tempo long run
    Sprints
    Tempp long run
    Stretch or weights.

17. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It all just depends on your schedule. I always like doing my long runs on Sunday morning.

18. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I despise running in the morning. But it sure feels good to eat and have some coffee when it's over with.

19. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How old are you guys that are doing all this running? Talk about wear and tear on your body...

20. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^this^ Great Advice!!