Time to Get Another Gas Grill

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Iowa Veteran, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife got rid of our last gas grill because she likes the flavor of charcoal in the foods. Last Sunday we had a storm that not only dropped 6" of rain, but we had wind gusts up to 60 mph. One of those gusts blew the charcoal grill off the deck and in the process of doing so made a really ugly yard sculpture.

I told her that if we get another charcoal grill, it has to be used on the cement drive instead of the wooden deck. Now to decide if the extra money a Weber costs is worth the money. They do have great customer service.

2. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    YES .........weber

3. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You know I've been debating that myself. But what kind of customer service do you need from a charcoal grill?

4. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    She does not like grilling in the front of the house so we are like the title says getting a gas grill.

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We bought a new gas grill about 3 years ago. I did some research and talked to some people. I decided to go Infrared. We bought an all stainless Char-Broil. The only issue I've had out of it is the ignitor. Bought a new one and its good to go. The entire grill stays even heat which is nice.

I really miss having my charcoal grill which was a round Webber and lasted about 10 years. The gas is really nice for quick meals during the week.

6. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Ah whoops. I must've confused some things. Well then weber! Does the wood chip deal really work? Charcoal is a pain but I love the taste

7. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know adding wood chips to a smoker works and using wood in a grill vs charcoal works... don't see why not.

8. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go with a kamado style grill (green egg) you can do a knock off around $250 and they cook better than any other style grill.

We use the real wood charcoal for excellent flavor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Were on our second weber, well worth the cost. Our first was genesis that we used for about 5 or 6 years, it looked and worked perfect, I gave it away to a friend a few years ago and he is still using it.
    I bought a larger Summit and I really like it. No issues with it all.

10. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really like my Webber Spirit

11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Weber make a charcoal grill that has a propane burner to start the charcoal, then once its hot you just turn off the gas and cook with the charcoal. My buddy has it and loves it. I have ate many dinners over at his house off that grill.

12. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep pieces of pecan wood that I put on the fire of our gas grill. I get smoke from the wood and controlled temps from the gas. Best of both worlds to me. I cooked several boston butts this week and just finished cooking a whole chicken and a pack of wings.

13. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gas grills are bad for you and charcoal more then likely has some sort of chemical in it too. Look into a pellet grill. Its going to be my next grill.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

14. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have to look into this pellet grill. The thing about real wood is that it takes too long to start. I don't see how has grills are bad for you or any worse than anything else? You're burning off the gas.

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really like my Brinkmann. It's a 5 burner (4 in grill and one side stovetop). It also has a raised rack. I'm sure their all fairly good, just look for something durable.

16. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a Weber Genesis for about 17 years now. I have rebuilt the burners once and the "flavorizer bars" twice. Parts are readily accessible and fairly inexpensive. The rest of the grill (except the igniter) is still like new. We use the gas grill for quick meals or if we have a larger party and the charcoal isn't big enough, we use both grills. I would absolutely buy another Weber in a minute.

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a Weber Genesis for about 15 years ..it needs new guts...I guess? It still does a great job even tho the ceramic is off the grates...when the time is right, I will be buying a grill that will use both direct and indirect heat ..

18. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Whats always worried me is the gas fumes that go into the food on the grill. I'm probably being a little to cautious. Anyhow I can say this though that cooking food over wood kicks the crap out of gas made stuff.

19. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    There aren't any gas fumes though. theyre all lit up by the fire and burned off to whatever byproducts that cause cancer same as wood. I think natural gas actually burns cleaner than natural wood.

Are you worried about cooking on a gas stove? There isn't any difference In my opinion

20. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a gas stove and don't plan on having one. Wood is a natural source. Ever ate food cooked over wood? Been eating it like that for 30+ years. Like I said maybe I'm over reacting but so be it. Nothing wrong with being over concerned.