Charging Elec Devices while away from the grid

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Apr 17, 2014.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Question for all you electronic geeks. I think I have the answer but I am looking for some confirmation or other ideas I am not thinking off.

Say I have a GPS that has a 8.4v DC battery. Or a 9V DSLR Battery that I will want to charge where no electrical power is present and no large batteries can be carried (in the bush). I thought of those great handy portable phone chargers that use USB to connect. Like this one:

Amazon.com: RAVPower PORTABLE CHARGER Element 10400mAh Power Bank CHARGER External Battery CHARGER Pack (Dual USB Outputs, Ultra Compact Design), for iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, 4S, 4, iPad Air, 4, 3, 2, Mini 2 (Apple adapters not included); Samsung Galaxy S4,

The problem is those only can be connected via USB which means it is limited to 5V and 500mAh. Now I know enough about DC current that if you throw power at it under voltage it will charge a little bit and very slowly but I don't feel confident this will work like I need it to.

So the next thing I found was the same type of portable charger that has DC outputs and are adjustable in 5v (usb), 9v (dc output cable), 12v (dc output cable). Such like this one:

Amazon.com: EZOPower Black 3 -Port Ultra High-capacity Portable External Rechargable Backup Battery Pack -10000mAh (2A/2A) for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Tablet, GPS, DV Recorders, Mobile Phone, Android Phone, Cell Phone, Blackberry, HTC, Samsu

They say you can charge laptops and other larger devices with it.

The problem I have is my gps doesn't have a round dc type plug. But I can get a cigerette lighter plug to charge it.

So here is my plan:

Buy one of these
    [​IMG]

Take the DC cord circled here and cut one end. Then splice it to the cigarette lighter plug above (making sure to keep polarity correct). Then I have a female cagarette lighter plug and can charge any device that has a cigarette lighter adaptor for. I see no reason why this will not work. Just have to select the correct voltage on the charger.

[​IMG]

Thoughts comments suggestions?

2. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't tell you much beside I have a RavPower Element and it was one of the better purchases I made. I dropped mine on concrete and it shattered part of it and the USB wouldn't stay in and they replaced it no questions asked.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Yeah I have the Rav power USB portable charger linked above and it is great. But we are not charging phones here.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm an idiot.

5. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ah, What?

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't ask. :lol:

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Easiest may be a vehicle option with or without an inverter, viable if you will be near or have a vehicle accessible.

Another option would be a solar, maybe with an inverter or microinverter, these range from portable on up, but most of the smallest portable stuff is geared to USB connected as you scale up it becomes less portable, which may not be a problem if you have a cabin.

8. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

No car. No vehicle. Like I said, way out in the bush. Say 5 miles from anything. Don't want to count on solar. Need something more reliable.

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Make that 10 miles. It's way out in the bush and solar is out. The question is, will what Brad described in the original post work?

I'm still an idiot, Bradley. :lol:

10. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So if you need to charge something but have no access to any sort of electricity wouldn't solar be your only option? BTW I am terrible at stuff like this.

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Check goalzero.com or rei, they may have some gear that meets your needs. Short of a power source (solar, microhydro) cells (really these are capacitors/batteries) or generator?

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is a ~10 day trip and only 5 or so charges will be needed. The 15,000 mAh power supply should be plenty ample for that. They make bigger ones but the theory is the same.

I think we have the solution. I'm want people to confirm or say it ain't going to work. I think it will and will work good.

13. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    No. I want to know if what Brad posted will work. We have 90% of what we want to charge covered, but may need a cig lighter plug in for one item.

FTR, Brad and I discussed this quite a bit today. Well, I told him what I was looking for and he got me the answers. This is the one question that he wanted to be sure of and knew how to ask it better than me, hence why he started the thread.

14. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry i misunderstood. It might work, but stuff happens...A 5 day trip that turn into 8, a short, etc. Give it a good test drive to make sure it will meet your needs before getting off the beaten path.

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That would work great for charging cell phones or other small devices. That is only 5v or equivalent to a USB cord. The batteries we are charging are 8.4v or larger. USB or micro USB cannot supply enough current to do it efficiently.

17. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

Too small and only 5v. I would like a battery with at least 15000mAh and can do 9v and 12v DC.

18. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    She charged her tablet with one like that. I don't know if they have different models that's all I know I'm dumber then Dan when it comes to this stuff but added my .02

19. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Let me put it another way. The chargers we are talking about are big enough to charge a laptop or other battery powered devices.

Here is a 30,000 mAh power supply that could go a looooooooooooong way for what we want to do. I think Dan talked about taking a blender along or something to make margaritas

Amazon.com: OXA 30000mAh Metal Box S4 Ultrathin and High Capacity External Battery Pack Power Bank Charger with Multi-Voltages (5V 12V 16V 19V) for iPhone 5 5S 5C 4 4S, Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2 Note3 Note2, Google Nexus 5 7 10, Nokia Lumia 1520 N8; iP

20. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's because your name is Dan also. :rock: