Do you believe in "Divine Intervention"?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LittleChief, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Okay. This is somewhat unbelievable, but I swear to you it's true.

Quite a few of you read my last post about putting my dog Max down.

Let me back-track a bit. Max was a barker. Great Pyrenees are renowned for this trait, but Max was a barking prodigy. We had already spent over $1000 just trying to give the neighbors some measure of peace. Training, spray collars, shock collars, de-vocalization (which didn't work). Actually this past weekend I'd just almost completed a $700 privacy fence on the north side of our back yard so Max wouldn't see them. That was a last-ditch effort and now I have a 6 foot privacy fence that we hate and don't need.

Let's touch on the neighbors. They are and older couple. They are around 70 and they are what I would call a good Christian couple. They are the best neighbors I've ever had. We help each other and trust each other with no questions. One odd thing, though. The guy has no sense of smell. That's a bit weird, but it's cool I suppose.

Now to the shock collars. At first it was Max and Roxy who drove my neighbors insane. We ordered a set of Sport Dog training collars, put them on the dogs and started training. After they knew why they were getting hit I gave the remote to my neighbor. He used it very rarely - only on the days that they were just driving them nuts. Roxy learned quickly and stopped. Max, on the other hand, never would stop.

Okay. Fast forward to this afternoon. I thought I would go over and get the remote since they no longer needed it. I walked through the garage and thought I got a whiff of something strange. I knocked on the door and my neighbor answered and invited me in.

As soon as I stepped inside I smelled a strong gas smell. My neighbor's wife said she didn't smell anything, so I called my wife over to confirm what I was sure of. As soon as she walked in, she said "Oh my God! I smell gas." My neighbor called the emergency number for the gas company and they came out and found a gas leak in their house. The guy said that it had been building up slowly which was why my neighbor's wife hadn't noticed it, and of course, my neighbor couldn't smell it.

It didn't dawn on me until about 20 minutes ago that had everything that's gone wrong the past few months not happened, and had we not had Max put down just day before yesterday, I wouldn't have gone over there this afternoon. According to the gas company rep, had they gone to bed tonight as things stood it was most likely they would have either died of asphyxiation or in an explosion, since the pilot light on their gas log fireplace was lit.

Now on to me. I don't consider myself a religious person any longer. I used to be, though. I used to be a Sunday school teacher, a "bus captain" and a song leader/worship director all at the same time. Not any longer, though. I've either lost my faith or thrown it away. I'm not sure which, but I can tell you that at this point in my life I have trouble believing in divine intervention. Maybe it was just pure, dumb luck. Maybe it was just coincidence. Still, it's pretty weird though.

What do you think? I think that it's just coincidence because it seems to me that if God were going to have me go over there this afternoon, he could have just as easily had something malfunction at my house that required a large torx bit. I don't have a good torx bit set but my neighbor does. I'd have gone over just the same and none of this crap would have had to happen.

My neighbors thanked me and told me that if it wasn't for me they would have "woke up dead". I told them that I didn't save their lives. Max did.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    None the less Stuff sure happens for a reason chief! The big guy probably had his hand in it. ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

3. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Luck, coincidence, or divine intervention, it hardly matters which. Thank God your neighbors are safe tonight.

4. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    You may be right, Steve. I just called my brother, who is a preacher and told him about this. My brother and I don't pull any punches. Know what he said? He told me "That just goes to prove one thing: God will even use a heathen to do his will." :lol:

I'd punch him if he weren't in Kentucky. (And if he weren't 6' 7" tall weighing around 300 pounds.) :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more. They are truly good people and I'd do anything for them.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here's how I see God's hand in things like this:

He didn't make you put your dog down for this. He, as he often does, takes a bad situation, and turns it to good use. Similar to how he doesn't make someone a drug addict, but through their pain and recovery he can make one hell of a voice for others suffering through the same addiction.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy you caught their leak. That would have been terrible.

7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's definitely pretty crazy, and lucky for them.

Not to make light of recent events you've had in last couple weeks but man you need a break. Might be time for a vacation ha.

8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    You know, Fitz, you make some really good points sometimes. Yeah, I know that he didn't make me put Max down. That last full paragraph was intended to be funny. Still, the perfect timing in all of this is pretty astounding.

My brother (the preacher) actually asked me if he could use this in one of his sermons. It's pretty weird if you ask me. I've been preached "to" and I've been preached "at", but I've never been preached "about". :lol:

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only when not talking about killing bucks....

10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, you have no idea. :lol:

Every time I hear a bark or a growl I go running to the source expecting the worst.

My daughter is driving up on Friday. She and my wife, who is doing much better now, will drive the two labs to Cheyenne, WY to finally turn them over to my daughter-in-law. This is, of course, provided no one gets sick.

11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    You said that. I didn't. :D

12. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could it just be a little reminder from God reminding you that even though you may have strayed from him, he has not strayed from you? Give credit to him, or take it yourself, but credit is due for saving two lives. Only my thoughts.

13. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have a problem with your faith and if you want to find it again, I would suggest you read the book "Heaven is For Real". Dont watch the movie first if you havent already. Its a short easy read and when your done you will never lose your faith again.

Just my two cents

14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I suppose that's possible, Mark.

I'm not big on taking credit for myself. Like I said, I'd rather give the credit to my dog. If he hadn't been a barking machine they wouldn't have had that remote and I would have had no reason to go over there today. Somehow it makes me feel better to think that in a way Max repaid them for the temporary inconvenience he caused in their lives.

You know, I'm surprised I haven't heard from Tony on this one. His wife must have pulled his liberty card tonight. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  15. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crazy!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

16. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a Christian. I'm from Eastern TN. Noticed you were in West TN....lol. Anyway, As we all know man has his own free will to make his own decisions. I do believe that you saved two peoples lives, Its a VERY good thing that went over when you did. If not, they would probably not be here today. Maybe it was not their time to home and the good lord sent you over for a reason. I don't know, he does funny things for all the right reasons it seems to me. Sorry about your Dog though, I know how it is to loose a pet. One thing I will say, Your Neighbors are very lucky to have a guy like you around.

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    100% this.... If I would have saw this before Fitz, he would have been quoting me :)

This is my busy season, dude...work until 9pm with farm stuff and sit down to watch TV before bed and fall asleep on the recliner right away :D

Johnny, we came from the same religious background....we both have been freed from this religion (I believe Fitz was as well?) ... the only difference is we didn't throw out the Baby with the bath water. God is speaking to you ... how can you NOT believe in divine intervention? You know how? People ignore it ..yet they will believe all the conflicting crap that goes on and the reports that follow them.

But Johnny....you have acknowledged God's hand in this situation.....He is gently turning your face back towards Him...keep looking and asking Him for HIS truth...not mine, Fitz's or yours...He will NOT disappoint. Jesus loves you and your family more than you do...remember that.

If your child asked you for the truth when his life was on the line ....would you lie to him or ignore her? God won't either. Reflect on your life and see if you might see His hand on other areas ...I bet you do....

18. cr422

cr422 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think if you're going to ascribe good stuff happening to divine intervention, then you'll have to do the same when the bad stuff happens. What about that FedEx truck/bus crash that was in the news? Was that divine intervention or did God just not care about those folks?

19. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read your other threads. Sorry about what happened to your dog. It's a sad day when you have to do what you don't want to do.

As for divine intervention I don't believe it happened. Just coincidence, I would have to think that if someone were able to do divine interventio they would be able to do so without sacrificing a dog. But if you choose to believe that it was DI you have to believe every little thing good or bad in your life is too as someone stated above.

You should also tell your neighbors to get a CO detector and I'm sure there is something that can detect gas too.

20. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are two teams on the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.