Do you get nervous?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by ATbuckhunter, Apr 6, 2014.

1. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When you spend a lot of money at once? I'm going to get my first semi auto shotgun soon after saving for a while but i'm pulling nails just thinking about spending 1,400 bucks, even though I know its going to be ok and im going to love the shotgun. I'm only 18 and in college so 1,400 bucks is a lot to me.

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea and then when I do pull the trigger on something I always find another option I would have possibly gotten instead. Also why I have lots of weapons.

3. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    $1400 is a good amount of money, atleast to those of us who dont make 6 figures.

with that said, i dont have a problem spending money and normally dont blink an eye if i have it.

4. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Spending large amounts makes me nervous, wasn't always that way but I made quite a few bad choices with money when I was younger. I tend to spend more freely for my wife and kids than I do for myself these days.

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get that way spending $50. They have a name for people like us. It starts with tight.

6. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wait till you buy a house and they show you how much you will actually pay with all the added interest...

7. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shhhhh! We're looking right now.

8. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I made 6 figures. 1400 is still alot. I just bought a benelli supernova 2 days ago. 650 and I'm feeling guilty as hell.

9. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hooker just needs a better banker

10. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Money is a tool. You can look at it while you regret never experiencing that shotgun and time in the woods or you can Pull the Trigger!

Live Responsibly... but Live.

Message sent from U.S. Pony Express Carrier Service

11. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm at 3.5% for a 400k home. I think when I signed at 4.5 it was something like 800k over 30 years. Now at 3.5 it's 400k. Amazing how that works, then if I make an extra payment each year I can pay it off by 20 years. I've thought about it, hmm maybe this year I'll contribute some. The only reason I don't do it is because it's my rental home and I don't want to settle down there.

12. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the gun! I get pretty nervous about things over 50$. I've never been great with money, so I married a woman who is really good with it. I'll even ask her once in a while,"we'll be alright if I but this, right?" Then a couple days later I'll see a receipt on the counter from "Maurice's" (women's clothing) for about 100$ and I think WTH?

13. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maurices......a store my wife knows all to well....although I don't complain because she is better with money than I am....i worry more now than I used to so I guess I'm getting better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

14. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was a little nervous about buying my first house. But stuff like guns...bows...or even automobiles not so much. I tend to do a lot of research before buying things which helps me feel comfortable with the decision.

15. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on the hook right now for a quarter million dollars with the new company I bought and all front loaded. Pretty much banking on my research, market analysis and sales projections going forward in the near future (to make a long story short). I'm a little "on edge" to say the least.

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My Mom always says, "Don't feel guilty as long as you have something to show for the money you spent." That has served me well. That is why we work everyday. As long as the bills are paid, go for it. Be wise in your spending, but you only live once in this body. It is only money, and I will make a lot more of it. I am a Bowhunter and I never feel guilty when I buy something for hunting. Sometimes I feel like it could have waited, but I still buy it nonetheless.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  17. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I get nervous is when my parents (I'm 28) and get involved or should I say, when I envolve them - when I act like a grown *** man and make my own decisions for myself I'm fine... When I'm worried about what others may think I'm a mess.

Moral to the story - live your life and do you.

18. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just be lucky you aren't walking into like J Crew, That place can get expensive quick!

To the OP I got nervous when I dropped all that money on my new bow but I knew i was going to use it alot and enjoy it so that made it easier. You can't take the money to the grave, so might as well spend it while you have it.

19. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. I just bought 1000rds of 9mm (thanks Slugger :D) and I already feel bad about it. Don't get me wrong, I'll use it and can afford it, but I don't usually feel good about "want" based purchases. I'll drop $2k on home remodeling without batting an eye, though. I'm weird.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

20. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I want to be able to sleep tonight please!
    In all seriousness, i'm buying this gun for sure and I can afford it but still can't help it. Funny thing is I can spend this type of money on something that I need too in a blink of an eye, but when its on my self I get scared.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014