Jury Duty....

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Tony, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think I have been called to Jury Duty more than any person on earth.

What are your thoughts on being MADE to sit on a jury? Personally, I hate it...

2. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Im pretty sure im exempt. Either way ive never been called.

3. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I sat on a murder trial once, the pay sucks, the experience was worth millions, take my word for it you don't ever wanna trust your fate to a jury of your peers, because your peers are some dumb someofagums.

Public education would be quickly reformed if the school board were ever put on trial.

4. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually wouldn't mind doing it as long as I had to on days I'm scheduled to work. We get jury duty pay so it wouldn't be too bad. :) Better not happen during hunting season though!

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've never been called. For awhile I was thinking it was cause I was a vet, but I know plenty of vets who have been called for jury duty. Better off this way, they don't want my input, I'm an eye for an eye type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My opinion is get the unemployed or the welfarers to do it and not make the working folk miss work for it. I made the mistake of filling out the questionnaire when it came and it was like I was called every week after that. I wouldn't show up and they threaten to have a cop come get me and give me a ride there. I explained to the judge I had just started a new job and couldn't miss work and was pardoned You better believe every jury duty questionnaire after that went right in the trash

7. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't stand lawyers. (and I know a lot of them) They are more interested in what can or can't be proven than what is true. Anyone that can mess with another person's life even when he knows the evidence he is presenting is not true is the lowest form of scum sucking bacteria on the planet. I could not sit on a jury because I don't believe a word that comes from any lawyer or any witness presented by one.

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got 'the' questionnaire in the mail yesterday... here we go. I haven't served in years... seemed like when I did I got to sit in on 'em all but one. I hope I get called for grand jury verses trial jury (see John's post above).

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm nearly 50 and never have been called...law of averages maybe. I did once have to fill out a survey for a federal court hearing once, but was never called.

It is however a duty of citizens and maybe it sucks, but it's just got to be done.

10. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Called and went in once. Never had to sit in on trial.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

11. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been called a few times. Most cases were settled right before jury selection. One wasn't so I showed up for jury selection. The guy that was on trial was a guy I worked with. The charge was bogus. I don't think the judge liked that when I told him we were friends, worked together and I would be glad to be part of the jury because he was innocent. Everyone else snickered except the prosecuting attorney. Judge told me I could leave. Co-worker had a huge smile on his face as I walked out.

Judge throw the case out of court the first day. I don't think the trial lasted a half hour. That was the last time I was ever called for jury duty.

The wife on the other hand has been on jury duty 3 times.

Tim

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually enjoy it. It is one of those duties that makes it great to be an American citizen. Many citizens in other countries don't have that privilege to be judged by their peers.

I don't like missing my income and if that is an issue, I will ask to be excused. I have been excused for that in the past.

I've actually had the misfortune to be on both sides. Acquitted, I might add.;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  13. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've done one stint of jury duty (1 month period)... Got called in a couple of times, got sat on one trail (medical malpractice) and ended up being elected jury foreman... I thought it was a great experience. Luckily, I didn't have to end up missing out on my regular salary - my employer allows us 'jury leave' so essentially just like vacation/annual.... I did see other potential jurors that got excused because they claimed it would case them significant financial hardship - didn't seem to hard to get out of it if the person really couldn't afford to sit on the jury for whatever reason (job, kids, vacation plans, etc)...

14. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I was called for jury duty once and sat on one jury. I didn't mind it at all. I'd be more than happy to do it again.

15. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good for you... The judge should have thrown those bringing a bogus case in the jail instead of dismissing though.

16. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what happened to the person who filed the charge. I know they didn't show up for the trial so the prosecutor had nothing. It sounded like it wasn't the first time that person filed bogus charges against other people. Pretty much tried using the system to get even when they got mad at someone. The person wasn't a local and bounced around a lot from state to state. Scum of the earth type.

I hope they also got thrown in jail to save someone else from having to deal with them.

Tim

17. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had three notices and sat on two trials. I highly recommend doing it if you can. For one thing, it's a duty as an American... and people are such lazy d-bags nowadays about being asked to sacrifice anything when it comes to actually doing their part as a citizen.

Two, it's kind of amusing (good and bad). You'll see why you never want to go the 'public defender' route.

Three.. the people who don't try to weasel out of jury duty are usually morons. You may be the one rational person on the jury. You really could make a huge difference in someone's life

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't go getting sensible on me, Christine... :bash: