Ever go on a FB unfriending spree?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Am I the only one?

Was going to post a TBT pic today, and started looking to see if my "Restricted" list was up to date. Then I realized why in the hell do I even have these people I don't know or haven't seen in 15 years on my page?

Anyone else do this? I can't be the only one. If I have people on there I feel I need to censor content for I just don't want them on there anymore..........

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely.....

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No I have changed the settings for them so I don't see them on my news feed. But I don't unfriend them.

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't post things online that I don't want others seeing, so I never censor who sees my content.

That said, I'll go through and block people like crazy on my news feed so their annoying drivel doesn't keep showing up in my news feed.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really go on much anymore to be honest. I wasn't really "unfriending," but just deleting them from my news feed. In all honesty, Facebook is a bit overrun with political propaganda, non-fact based "facts," and random "shares," promotions from companies, websites, etc,. Many of my friends who do post frequently, it's not really interesting. I understand the marketing aspect of it, and that's in reality what Facebook is morphing into (social advertising...read Socialnomics if you get a chance), but it's just not as fun anymore.

The very fact that many people have to "clean house" from their FB should tell you something about the interest level of most people's lives. :D I even thought about deleting my sister from my news feed as I was tired of being bombarded with political propaganda, and what daily tasks she accomplished :) Don't get me wrong, I still love her, but man, a guy can only take so much.

So that was a long winded answer of, "Yes," I have cleaned house before. Did I make the cut, Matt? :D

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I was also thinking that it's interesting that several old school members that have become more or less inactive on here are increasingly active on Facebook. Sort of the inverse of how I was (more active on FB in college and right afterwards than I was on HNI and here). It really might just be a demographic difference.

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

How in the world do I keep making the cut?

[​IMG]

8. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went on a Facebook deleting spree about 3 years ago, and haven't looked back.

As in deleting my whole account.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  9. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's age. Facebook is huge among young people and older people... those nearing middle aged late 20s and 30s, big decline among this group.

If it wasn't for allowing my family and friends (who I rarely see anymore) to keep tabs on me, I wouldn't have a Facebook. I noticed a HUGE decline in those calls to check in and see how things are going once I accepted family members as FB friends and updated a picture or status every now and again. I like declines in extended family/distant friends phone conversations... A LOT. lol

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I know it's just a snapshot of a population, but Facebook is pretty much dying out with our student body. Most of them are now spending most of their time on Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram as their go to. We just finished a social marketing project last semester where the students had to use various social media outlets to promote and idea/concept. They had to use analytics from that project (like Facebook Insights) to determine reach. Many of them really didn't have a large population of their friends seeing the content on Facebook whereas Twitter and Instagram did.

I found that interesting...and totally off topic. Sorry, Matt:D

11. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had a facebook account. I believe my business might suffer a little from it, but other than that I could careless. My wife and kids keep me updated, but it is usually something from twitter, snapchat or instagram. My daughter said facebook is for old people. :lol:

12. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you allow people you work with to connect on facebook?

13. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Hah.....yes you made the cut. I just went in there today though and found dozens of people I had no idea how I "knew" them, why they connected with me, or some were people I haven't talked to in 10+ years and was never close with.

I just didn't want these people stalking me. If I have to wonder if someone is offended by a dead deer pic or wonder if they are going to perv over a pic of my kid........they are gone.

Sorry to anyone on here that got deleted, but if I can't put your real name together with your screen name you likely got whacked. :lol:

14. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do... but again, I just don't post anything besides social outings, jokes, and hunting pictures. I'd never post something that could hurt me come interview time, and my opinion would likely change if I had kids.

Off topic again, but I also have seen much of the same Matt. I'm on the upper end of the population in which FB is dying. In High School literally EVERYONE had one. Now it seems instagram and twitter have replaced it for the most part. My twitter is for friends and my facebook is more of a work friends/family update type of site for me now.

15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Only with those I'm real friends with outside of school. Only one of those has Facebook, and we are friends on there. My Co-Workers whom I'm just consider colleagues, no. It's just the nature of the career I'm in. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

16. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No way, LOL

17. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do But only certain ones

18. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lost a lot of FB friends today for some reason, weird?

19. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have several people from work that I am friends with on Facebook.

20. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    DANGER! DANGER! I tend to avoid this!