eBay Enigma

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by trial153, Mar 28, 2014.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I been wanting to purchase an item for a few months. It retails for 299.99 and sold at that price for the first 10 months while it was available at most retailers. The last two months it has gone on sale at two major retails stores, one for 229.00 and the other or 199.99.
    I also been following sales on ebay for the same item , I was able to track a total of 27 sales over 3 months. I limited the sales count to only this year sales because prior almost all sales were at the full retail price. The auction price has averaged 182 over these 27 sales.

I hedged my bets and purchased the item at 199.00, and I have free return shipping from the retailer.
    After which I started bidding on the item on ebay. I was hoping to buy it at around the 150 mark. I was unsuccessful in about 6 or so attempts with it selling for very close to the average price.

Then a new auction comes up, the buyer has no feedback at all, opening price is 99.00 and its a two day auction.The no feedback is a bit discerning, however for the potential amount of the sale I am not overly concerned as its only a 150 purchase hopefully. No bids till a couple hours before so I open the biding at the minimum bid. Right away I am outbid to 102. I waited till 30 seconds before the end of the auction a placed my next bid at 150. I won the auction at 113.50.

Here is where it gets strange. The auction ended on Monday afternoon. My wife text me on Wednesday and mentioned I had a few packages, two were expected (custom knives I bought) and the third was from the retailer that I originally bought the item from the first time. I didnt order anything from them so I assumed it was a birthday gift from my father because of the timing and the fact he buys me a gift from there almost every year.
    I came home and opened the knives first, and then opened other larger box. To my surprise it was the item I bought on ebay, sent directly from the retailer I originally purchased the item from...for 199 on sale. Also in the box was a gift receipt listing the buyers name and it had my name listed as the shipping destination. Along with a return receipt for exchanges and refunds.

Keeping in mind that I paid 113.50 with shipping for the item.

Out of curiosity I called the company with the invoice info I had from the box and they stated I could return it for a credit of 199.00...what the seller paid for the item.
    Since the item was shipped directly from the company and they confirmed the price the seller paid for it, my question is this.

What was the selling thinking? Was it speculation on their part? What is everyone's ideas about what took place?

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Out of curiosity I called the company with the invoice info I had from the box and they stated I could return it for a credit of 199.00...what the seller paid for the item.
    Since the item was shipped directly from the company and they confirmed the price the seller paid for it, my question is this.

What was the selling thinking? Was it speculation on their part? What is everyone's ideas about what took place?

Totally lost me here
    How did the seller sell something he didn't have? Are you saying it was a third party sale and it was drop shipped to you?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Conclusion: Seller would make a piss poor investor and businessman.

4. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't call it a third party sale because the seller bought the item and then had it shipped to me directly. So I have a gift receipt that is redeemable for THEIR purchase price 199.00.....not my purchase price of 113.50

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Certainly makes no sense. Unless he is actually a reseller, buying a discounted price, then having it drop shipped to you. It's possible that they just elected to tell you he paid 199.00 for it because the is "list" price. Other than that, it makes no sense to me. 50-80 dollars profit would not be work my risk of $200 if I'm the reseller.

6. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Could be a scam. He may have originally bought the item with a stolen credit card or sent them a fake certified check. You'll know soon enough if this is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. kywhitetails

kywhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Something is odd. I also wonder about the stolen card trick because I've heard it happening like that before. Was the retailer it was bought from a big name retailer? I would be keeping proof that your bought the item from eBay and how you paid for it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

8. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Some good input...we will see if anything comes of it.

9. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree

10. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    sounds confusing! hope it all works out for ya.

wasn't ozonics was it? :p

11. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    It can't not work out for me...my end is covered.

Just makes a good conversation piece ....and no it's not ozonics lol

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dubs convinced you to buy HECS clothing, didn't he?

13. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Two sets!!! Tried them on in my house and they worked so well the magnetics on the fridge all fell off when I walked in the kitchen.