Biometric Pistol Safes?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So my little man is now mobile. He's crawling around like a mad man, and pulling himself up on furniture too......I'm guessing it's only a month or so until he's walking.

Due to this, I'm no longer comfortable hiding a pistol in a cigar box on the night stand. I keep everything else in a full size safe, but I'd like something faster to access for the pistol. We just ordered a new bed and timber bed frame, so I'm thinking I'd like to permanently attach a small single pistol safe to the new bed frame on my side for quick easy access that's also secure. Quick access and long term reliability are most important to me, I'm and I'm thinking a biometric scanning unit might be the best option. I won't want to mess with combinations or pin numbers in the dark if I should have to use it someday.

Anyone have a biometric safe like this? Any reviews or advice?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad you're asking. I'm in the market for the same thing. My front runner is the GunVault 2000D. I prefer having a shotgun but I'm not sure how to safely secure it yet have it readily accessible.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just went to their site. This looks really convenient...........kinda pricey but worth it if it's super reliable and fast.

[​IMG]

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My biggest concern about the electronic locked ones are the batteries. What happens if they are dead? Since I keep a surefire flashlight right by my handgun safe anyway for use in the non-gun hand I will be able to see the combination. Just something to think about.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good point. They have a manual override key, but who wants to fumble with that in the dark?

Matt,

I was was given one of these (or a similar model, I can't remember off the top of my head) for Christmas and like it. While it's not true Biometric, I have a simple index, middle, and ringer sequence I press to open. I keep my Xdm bedside in it. My 9 and 10 year old nieces come over to play when my SIL is here and I'm not at all afraid they will get access to it.

If I were to buy my own, I would love to have something like you posted above (and true biometric). Looks slick.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

How long do the batteries last in something like that? If they lasted say 6 months I would consider changing it every 3 months at every season change or something. What RJ posted above looks sweet as heck.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gun Vaults or Barska are the way to go. My wife has one next to her night stand, the 500 I think, away its side mounted and cost about 300. I will be getting another one for one of the living areas of our house as well.

I have a larger Barska in my office, and it works super. It has the finger print and a key over ride.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    No idea. Mine runs on a 9V. I installed it shortly after the new year, and it's still working :D

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Nice! I had a firesafe for documents that killed the batteries about once a month. That is a big reason why I was scared of them.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Batteries haven't been an issue with any of ours, my wife tells me when I need to replace them ...honestly I don't know how often. Be she sets a calendar reminder. I am thinking it's twice a year.

11. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They seem like a great way to keep guns out of a kids hand, my concern would be how would it work if my wife needs the pistol and I'm not home. If it can be set to recognize more than one owner I'm all for it.

12. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a company at the Harrisburg show that was selling shelves that would open and held either a handgun or longer shelves that held a shotgun. Nice looking shelf and you can't tell it opens unless you know. There is a chess piece with a magnet on the bottom that you slide into position and it unlocks the latch. If I can find the brochure I will post the name of the company but you could probably find it online.

13. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Most recognize about 20-30 sets of prints. You do multiples for each person that has access.