Country singers old school name dropping...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Mar 25, 2014.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is the deal with most every dude singing songs about, or constantly mentioning Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings and sometimes Willy Nelson in their songs?

One example, I like Eric Church, he is one of my favorites, but it seems half of his songs he is talking about Haggard or Cash.

This only seems to happen with country music, I don't hear other genres singing about "legends".

No idea why it is so annoying to me.

2. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bromances?

3. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing I hate about modern day country music is what I call "list songs". Its where these "artists" just list and name a bunch of stuff in every verse of their songs they probably didn't even write. For example (and im making this up)..." There's a pair of boots in the back of the truck, can of chew in front, army sticker on the bumper, cross hanging from the mirror. " Anyone know what im talking about ?

4. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Many rappers reference "legends" right?

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, very odd. Not too much country I listen to these days. It's not all bad, but this is also one of my pet peeves.

6. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like how some mention a rap artist and then an old timer. Even though I don't consider them country, FGL mentions Drake and Hank in their newer song.

I'm a huge fan of Church, so he can do whatever he wants. :lol:

8. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think some of them name drop the classics in hopes it will keep them from being looked at as country/pop crossovers. If they talk about legitimate country stars then they probably feel like they appear as legitimate country stars.

9. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Johnny Cash
    Merle Haggard
    George Straight
    Waylon Jennings
    Conway Twitty
    George Jones
    Lefty
    Chris LeDoux
    Alan Jackson
    Brad Paisley
    Don Williams
    Randy Travis
    Josh Turner
    Alabama
    Statler Brothers
    Ricky Skaggs
    Willie Nelson
    Tim McGraw
    Toby Keith
    Hank Williams
    Oak Ridge Boys
    Moe Bandy
    ---------> brain freeze...
    Edit:
    Bob Wills

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  10. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's been happening for years... Waylon often referenced legends such as Hank Sr, Bob Wills, etc

11. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Hank Senior had some great tunes and tone. I like your list,today's country has some great guitar work but not to many distinctive singers in my book

12. ryanf

ryanf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got to where I don't even listen to country radio anymore. I Prefer to listen to songs where the person writes and sings their own songs. Even if two artist co-write and they each do their own version it's fine.

This song has become one of my favorites and she is maybe 15...idk There's No Country Here - YouTube

13. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All the "crossover" duets drive me crazy. There's no world where a country singer should be dueting with a rapper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish FGL would leave. Forever.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Name dropping in modern country is as rampant as singing about chicks in tight jeans, jacked up pickup trucks and driving around on gravel roads. It's just another component to the formula of creating cookie cutter hit country songs. Plug in a different singer, different band members consisting of guys with tats, mohawks and chain wallets, make a music video with hot broads in short shorts and then sit back and collect your money.

Perhaps name dropping is the Buffalo Wild Wings of county lyrics?

16. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Florida Georgia line is the nickel back of country music. But ya I agree with the name dropping, getting bad lately. And the cool names too like "Bo Cepheus"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    it's as simple as to what the definition of name dropping implies...

Name-dropping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Name-dropping is the practice of mentioning important people or institutions within a conversation,[1] story,[2] song, online identity,[3] or other communication. The term often connotes an attempt to impress others; it is usually regarded negatively,[1] and under certain circumstances may constitute a breach of professional ethics.[4] When used as part of a logical argument it can be an example of the false authority fallacy.[5]

key here is trying to impress... mainly cause most popular country singers (read as non-musicians or songwiters) today are one hit wonders and they'll never even remotely considered to be a legend in their own right... Toby Keith included...

18. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think Justin nailed this one. I loved country for a LONG time. Grew up around it and spent the better part of 15 years with country radio stations playing in my ride. I just can't deal with it anymore though as it's all scripted and it seems 90% of them don't write their own stuff anymore. I think a lot of the country singers from previous generations would roll over in their graves if they heard half the crap that's coming out now. Half the guys on the country scene now appear to be having a gender identity crisis as well. Pretty soon they will be wearing flat brims and skinny jeans yet still calling themselves "country".

Generally I think today's "Country" singers are so far apart from real country music and closer to pop that they are struggling to relate to their roots and have to name drop to associate themselves with "real" country. Usually I hate it and it feels so fake, but occasionally when I hear Hank Jr, Hank III, or guys like that name dropping......I'm good with it. I actually like Country Heroes by Hank III.

Edit - I'd pay good money to see Hank III in a celebrity deathmatch with Darius Rucker. :tu:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  19. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    why does luke bryan sing about teenage girls at a bonfire getting up in his truck, and playing a guitar for them and "there song" isn't he like in his 30's? he also release a "spring break" album every spring too...kinda skeevy/sketchy