Need advice on these two different "services."

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Mar 25, 2014.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to do a little market research on something I'll be involved with a little on the side in the upcoming months. What better place to ask than here? :D

So, picturing yourself as one who is the market for a home, what type of video tour/presentation would you find more useful to you as a buyer and why?

Choice #1: A walk through style taken primarily (or entirely) from a POV perspective much like this video:

[video=vimeo;73221098]http://vimeo.com/73221098[/video]

Choice #2: A more "cinematic" presentation made up of mostly sliding pans and tilts?

[video=vimeo;29523798]http://vimeo.com/29523798[/video]

2. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think each style has it's benefits. Those two houses are totally different and represent different lifestyles. I don't think each house can be done the same way, but rather done in the style best fitted to showcase what a single house has to offer.

On a side note- I'd much rather have that second house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like #2 better personally. It is a lot slower pace and allows the buyer to take it in and look at more. The first one is pretty good, but a little too fast like someone is running through the house with a camera. I feel like I didn't get to really look at everything.

4. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    number 2 all the way. i just really liked that one. I didnt really like the 1st house. that is a neat idea though. btw on that second property with the crops and that tree line, I'd be getting a game camera up :)

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Are you speaking specifically in terms of the properties themselves, or that you liked the way video was presented in #2 better?

While I completely agree with your choice of home (#2 is way more up my alley), I'm more concerned with how the videos were shot.

Basically, the top one was shot almost entirely with a steadicam system, while the second was shot from a tripod/slider setup.

6. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the second video because I felt like it cycled through slower and allowed more time to view everything. I know that the first video time lapse could probably be slowed a little too though for more viewing time.

7. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the style of the second. the first one might work if the movement was slower/slowed down for the presentation; it made me dizzy as is...

8. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer #2. I justliked the speed of the video and how it was presented. As for #1 I am not a fan of POV presentations because they remind me to much of the first person video games and I am not a fan.

9. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think both are good and worth expanding on.

Excellent!

10. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It would depend on the type of property. When I sell a lake or rural home the view is more important than the kitchen or baths.

11. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    both. as far as the pure video aspect of it, i think 2 is the better video. with it going slower, it gave more time to catch everything. as a home buyer, if i watch a video on a house i am interested in, i would want it to go slow enough for me to get a good idea on all the features, etc. but not so slow that i find myself looking to see how much longer the video has.

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good feedback, everyone. Really appreciate it.

13. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is consideration given to the location and the type of people who would want to live in that home? A rural home on land, the buyer is going to be looking for the surroundings as much, if not more than what the inside of the house is like. The buyer for this type of property will want to spend time watching a video on the property. In a high end neighborhood, the interior of the house and updates would probably be more important. This buyer would want to see the most amount of amenities in the least amount of time.

14. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Both are excellent videos. That being said ... I like the presentation of the 2nd one better. As others have said #1 feels to fast. #2 allows you more time to digest the property as a whole.

However ... I also think that the homes appeal to totally different types of buyers. I believe most of us on this forum would be drawn more to the home in #2 simply because of our outdoor nature, regardless of how the video was done. The home in Video #1 might appeal more to a higher paced buyer given the home's very modern feel. That type of buyer might better appreciate the fly around approach to the video. We might not be the best crowd to ask for that flavor or home or video presentation.

A more interesting experiment would be to shoot both types of video for each of the two homes and then sample those videos to multiple demographic groups and then see what the feedback is ...

Regardless, both videos were put together very well. Both homes look to be awesome. Either video format is a huge improvement over how homes used to be presented.

15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, everyone. Just for the record, I did not make these. I've been studying a lot of styles for ideas before I start shooting, and these two styles require much different equipment and prep which can also influence time on site (which affects cost).