Gained a lot more empathy for our deployed troops over the past nine months....

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Mar 22, 2014.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Although my dad is a former Marine and I've always had a lot of respect and admiration for our armed forces, I never really knew what it was close to being like to be away from my family. As some of you know, I supported my wife as she took a job 250 miles away from home, and took the kids with her because that was the right move. Due to my work schedule, I was only able to see them about 10-12 days a month for nine months. I know that is nothing like the military guys who are away from their family's completely, but I got a little taste of it. At some points I didn't see them at all for nearly two weeks. Horrible. Being away from three kids all under age 11 and not feeling like I could protect them was rough.

THAT all changes in about one hour when they are coming home for good! :)

To all the military guys on here, thank you for your hard work and sacrifice, it is much appreciated from me. In fact, this experience is making me want to seriously get involved in military veteran's benefits and to protect them from the bs policy changes in DC.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know you are pumped to have them back Brett!

So is the college coaching gig over?

3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, it is for now. She really enjoyed it, but it wasn't good for our kids because our entire family is back here in VA. My wife is one heck of a coach and I know she could be successful at a much higher stage than the D-II school at which she coached, but our kids come first. That being said, if something comes open in the DC area like Georgetown, American, George Washington, etc...then maybe something will change. She pumped out a tremendous amount of D-I players in the past decade as a head coach.

4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! I would go crazy if I was away from my wife and daughter for extended periods of time.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I will sleep more soundly tonight than I have for nine months. I am going to sleep with all of my kids and wife, piled into the same bed. I don't care if I sleep an hour if and when they all put their feet on me. :)

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your support. Semper Fi!

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Understandable, best of luck to her!

8. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    did 2 tours away from my wife and kids, one for 18 months and one for 13 months. It was difficult keeping my mind on the work at hand while also worrying about my wife and children. The last tour when my children were 19 and 17 was the worst because they knew what was going on that time. Thanks for supporting our military members B!

9. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's always refreshing to me when I see someone who is not their self a veteran show legitimate support for veterans. I did all four of my deployments before I became a family man so even as a veteran I don't think I fully understand what some go through.