Putin starting a war?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by frenchbritt123, Mar 15, 2014.

1. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are the preppers smart? World War 3 on the way? Is Russia & Putin doing the right thing?

Maybe this will just blow over like North Korea & Syria?

I am not sure on this one. Putin seems strong and determined and will probably not back down.

What do you guys think?

2. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pray...

This is not a game and I hope things end peacefully.

Pray...

3. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im not sure what Putin is up to. A simple show of strength maybe? If he does start a war it certainly wont be with the U.S. Putin knows better than that. And whatever country he does start a major war with I sure that country will have a lot of allies...there is a lot of countries who im sure would love to get their hands on Russia , but have never had the power to do it on their own.

4. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Having lived in Moscow for a year I'm not sure we want a war with them either. Being a former Marine I'm not saying I don't think we couldn't handle ourselves but it would be a heck of a lot different war than we've fought in a long time. Also not so sure they'd keep it where the people of this country would only see it on CNN. Putin isn't afraid to send troops abroad and its not like we would have the supior fire power we had in the middle east.

Honeslty I'm not sure what to think. If anything does kick off the POTUS is gonna haveta do a lot more than make threats. I'm not so sure we'd have as much support as you'd like to think from a lot of European allies seeing as Russia supplies a lot of them with natural resources. Hopefully it'll blow over.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If we are going to get involved with Russia based on people getting killed and protecting the sovereignty of democratically elected societies, then we should be getting involved with countries in Africa every week of the year.

My point, this has nothing to do with protecting "innocent people"....it is just politics as usual.

6. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sure as heck don't want Obama leading the US in a war against Russia. The Soviet Union has never really fallen... just changed faces. AKA communist China... we have free trade with them for crying out loud.

So if the Ukrainians, in a referendum vote choose to be reunited with Russia, who are we to say "No" to their vote?

7. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Between the US and Russia, we were the last ones to start a war

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I pray that it doesn't escalate into something bigger. Not under this current gov't we have in place.

9. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Smart men prepare for war while praying for peace. Russia has a naval base in the Crimea and when Putin's puppet ran away, he did what he thought would best protect Russia's interests in the region. When the Ukraine was under the Soviet Union, many Russians settled in the Crimean peninsula so he also has a support base there. If the transitional government of the Ukraine reassured Putin that nothing would change other than leadership, he would probably back out eventually.

10. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like Putin got the votes. Anyone going to try to stop this now? I doubt it.

Russia's money took a hell of a hit though.

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let the Ukrainians fight and we will sell them arms ......
    I am Sick of our money and blood getting spread around the globe for a bunch of ingrates.

We have our own sovereignty to worry about....in case anyone noticed our government is no longer representing the will of the American people. Citizens are now subjugated by corporations, and the freeloading portion of our population.... Let's start the fighting here and then worry about the rest of the world.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  12. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    After the last few years and what our nation as well as our countrymen have been through I think it would be wise to tend our own biscuits.
    We need to get some housekeeping in order and do some healing.

13. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had Obama told Putin that he could keep the bases he already has if he likes them and if Putin was happy with the foreign policy he already has he can keep it too, Putin would have looked at Obama's track record of keeping promises and expanded his forces to prepare for war. But knowing Obama habitually lies to everyone, Putin knows he has nothing to worry about.

14. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well sounds like the Cimea region voted to succeed from Ukraine and it passed. Now they will probably join Russia.

Apparently the POTUS told Putin they can rejoin Russia but the US won't recognize them. Not sure why that was a headline.

15. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I like others think/hope it's just a bunch of politics & chest pounding.

I say hope because of this mainly:

Attached Files:

16. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    X2...

17. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Putin will get what he wants because not only are our leaders (and clear majority of citizens) not willing to stomach another conventional war, but also because China holds our purse strings and will join with Russia to destroy our currency if we get too randy.

Russia without dollar - what are the risks? - English pravda.ru

Pravda (Russian state media) is laying out the case to the Russian people (in other words, preparing them for the eventuality) of how abandonment of the dollar would work...

18. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think he's starting a war but he's sure making Obama look even more silly than he already is.

19. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You sure couldn't tell that article was written by the state ....

The idea the Euro is a palatable alternative is laughable. Even the EU wouldn't make that case, in fact that might be the straw that breaks the euros back... Germany would run for the hills.

Let's talk China, if they had so much faith in the Yaun they wouldn't own dollars in the amount they already and continue to buy.....now why the hell would they abandon their largest holding so Russia can buy Yaun with rubles?

There isn't even a need to talk about any global energy market trading on any scale with anything but dollars for the foreseeable future....that's about the only point the article got right ....

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And why is this the United States business?